• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Idaho, and "Best of ..."

Greetings! I've been reading the eGullet forums for quite a while and have not posted in quite some time.

Just a matter of formality ... I now live in Boise, Idaho and am not sure whether Idaho is meant to be discussed in this forum? It's not specifically called out in the listing for "Western States" so I'm feeling rather like a woman on no island!

As another conversation topic, I've found myself become increasingly agitated by "Best of..." issues of magazines. Most of us expect that the winners will either be clear community favorites (well-known, always lauded) or big advertisers in the publication.

But has anyone else ever read such a list about restaurants, eateries and food shops and thought "Come. On. We got it. You are good friends with [Chef/Owner] (or like to think you are) and like to ballyhoo all over his/her place all the time." Or "are you nuts? They haven't done a thing to change a single problem on their menu, and frankly, they're really not good [insert type of cuisine] food at all."

You want a "for instance?" There is a French establishment here that has good French food. Good. And good desserts - lovely croissants, decent tartes, but nothing that an average baker couldn't replicate at home. I don't get that "oh yeah, this is good," much less "for just a moment, I could be in that little place by the Seine" feeling. And yet, it's won "Best Dessert" for a few years in a row. I've had this dessert. It was .... ok. Snobbery by me? Maybe. But I guess I'm wondering if I'm the lone ranger or if others also get stabs of pains at some of these things. :rolleyes: For the record, I've also felt this way when I've lived in NY, Boston, LA and SF. Unfortunately, there is no Zagat's for Boise so I can't cross-reference as I could when living in the other cities.

Additional disclosure: my SO owns a couple restaurants in Boise, and one has been favorably featured in "Best of" issues. Of course I don't doubt that judgment (hee!) but I just want all my cards on the table on this ... it's not a jealousy thing, as most of the restaurants that I've raised an eyebrow at are not to be considered rivals to my SO's places, it's an honest-to-goodness feeling that some of these places rest on their laurels and their product never improves ... and perhaps even gets worse.

Mr. Pibb + Red Vine = Crazy Delicious

Sounds like someone else is as annoyed with the Boise Weekly "Best Of" roundup as I am!  :laugh:

If you're talking about Le Poulet Rouge I'll have to laugh, they're neighbors of mine.

What restaurants does your SO own?

I actually love Le Poulet Rouge (though must admit that I have not yet savored their desserts, tempting as they look). Their soups and sandwiches at lunch have been terrific!

He owns Square and Piehole.

• 2 months later...

We're making a Memorial Day visit to Boise and I dug up these posts. Now, of course, I'm curious about all the restaurants mentioned. Would one of you be so kind as to provide some short descriptions for me, and also some dining suggestions? Anything really great we should definitely try? we've never visited Boise, so I'm looking forward to checking out the farmers market on saturday. Other must-dos?

Anything food related will be greatly appreciated!

• 1 year later...
We're making a Memorial Day visit to Boise and I dug up these posts. Now, of course, I'm curious about all the restaurants mentioned. Would one of you be so kind as to provide some short descriptions for me, and also some dining suggestions? Anything really great we should definitely try? we've never visited Boise, so I'm looking forward to checking out the farmers market on saturday. Other must-dos?

Argh!

It pains me that I'm only reading your post now, on Memorial Day!!!! I fear you're already back in Austin, and I hope you had a wonderful visit. There are some restaurants that I would have so recommended. We likely passed by each other at the farmers' market, and perhaps even at other times.

Argh!

It pains me that I'm only reading your post now, on Memorial Day!!!! I fear you're already back in Austin, and I hope you had a wonderful visit. There are some restaurants that I would have so recommended. We likely passed by each other at the farmers' market, and perhaps even at other times.

I'd be interested in hearing about your recommendations. I really enjoyed Mosaic before they closed. Anything opened to take the place? What else would you recommend?

Thanks.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I would also be interested in Boise recommendations. I haven't been there in about two years and I'll be passing through on my way to the Sun Valley Food & Wine Festival next week. We're planning a "Dining Out in Boise" feature in our September/October issue of Northwest Palate magazine, but a freelancer is writing it and I haven't seen the copy . . . so I am fresh out of current dining recommendations for Boise (or Ketchum, for that matter, since I'll be there as well).

Thanks for any guidance!

-Cole