• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Missoula Restaurants

I'm headed to Missoula in a couple of weeks, for three nights. Suggestions?

Traveling on the company dime, so can't go too crazy (though might treat myself to something especially nice one night, if recommended).

Always prefer regional cuisine, but happy for any and all recs.

• 4 months later...

eje, you might have luck asking here, on the portlandfood.org website.

BTW, I always eat at The Depot in Missoula, but it's been a while since I've gone. I do hope you enjoy your stay--some of the most beautiful landscape in the States is around there...

Eilen

I would suggest that Missoula isn't a foodie haven. Though the setting is, of course, marvelous.

I was staying at the Doubletree Edgewater, so ate at Finn & Porter. Perfectly okay - I had lamb chops. But doesn't bode well if it is high-end for Missoula. Nifty location on the river, though - pretty place with a nice bar in the middle of things.

Had a nice casual business dinner at Scotty's Table, downtown, on Higgins - there seem to be a few Higgins restaurants worth trying (The Bridge bistro) being another.

I'm curious about Red Bird, in the Florence Hotel.

Of course, if you just want a beer, you can go to the famous Stockman's ("liquor in the front, poker in the rear") Bar.

I looked, and I simply didn't see signs of "fine dining," so good luck, Erik.

Thanks for the recommends fchrisgrimm and Eileen!

We'll only be there for a few days for a wedding, so I imagine our schedule will be pretty full of pre-planned meals. Hopefully we'll get away for a dinner and breakfasts. Bar recommends are helpful, too. After a full day of family, I'm sure we'll need a beer.

Interestingly, the bride, a life long vegetarian, has recently started eating game if she knows the person who hunted and killed it. Thus, I do have some hope for the reception!

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Let us know how you get on, then. Just keep an open mind and focus less on the food and more on the scenery. I know how hard it can be to eat in that area--I grew up on the Idaho side of Highway 12. A nice piece of freshwater fish is probably your best bet, and it sounds like you'll have some nice wild game for the reception!

Eilen

• 3 months later...

for future knowledge, missoula isn't a foodie heaven. i use to live there, and while there are a handful of good places, top nothc there are less...but here is my breakdown, incase anyone in the future is headed there....

the red bird - pretty darn good. solid, no doubt a step above the best in town. local, seasonal fare, romantic, excellently executed...

the pearl - relatively new, old school french style food. rustic provence stlye cooking top notch goods.

scotty's table - nice neighborhood bistro, quaint, creative flavor profiles, as far as coming from a bigger food city, standard bistro fare, but well executed in a town not known for its food.

5:15 (the old bridge spot)- actually i am pretty sure the name is 5:15 but not positive, i haven't been there. it opened since i left, but ive heard they asre doing a great job and they have foie gras on the menu taboot...which kinda suprises me - missoula is an activist haven...

the Lolo Steakhouse - down home montana feel. Awesome meat and potatoes kind of place, which is perferct for outta towners. kinda pricey, but you get some of the best meat you'll ever eat, and everything else is down home...can't say enough delicious things about this place...

those are the top notch places...other places to keep in mind

shadow's keep - country club style

finn and porter - hotel style

9 mile steakhouse (outside of town)

and a few others i can't remember right now...

• 1 month later...

I was there about 3 years ago and ate at the 2 Sisters Cafe and the food was so good we ate there twice during our stay, once for breakfast and once for dinner. I had a goat cheese stuffed tenderloin that was outstanding.

Explore the food, beverages, and people of Wisconsin EatWisconsin.com

• 7 years later...

Was just in Missoula last week and thought I'd update this thread in case anybody is headed that way. Riverside Cafe, which was wonderful, has closed -- tax problems, according to locals. I was working through dinner while I was in town so can only speak to lunches ...

I had a fantastic lunch at Dolce (order at the counter during lunch:  soups, panini, cold sandwiches, salads, a couple of house-made pastas). Arugula salad with grilled beef was wonderful -- good beef, perfectly cooked, very tasty. More expensive than most places in town, but really good. Also had a lovely meal at Scotty's Table, downtown:  more formal setting, pretty dining room near the river, emphasis on local and organic foods. There I had a grilled chicken salad with mixed greens, lentils, roasted beets, and goat cheese -- excellent. Also stopped in at Plonk, on Higgins, for an afternoon pit stop -- Italian wine flight and snack of burrata with tomato, hearts of palm, and grilled toast. Perfect, and a big selection of wines, spirits, cocktails, with generous pours -- a bit more grownup than the zillions of coffee shops and pubs that line Higgins. Service was friendly and attentive in all three establishments, which may just be the face of Missoula. All three also feature outdoor seating when things warm up a bit.

Also stopped in at Le Petit Outre, bakery on the other side of the bridge from downtown -- excellent breads and French-style pastry (palmiers, croissants, etc.) as well as the usual scones and such.

Edited by agnolottigirl (log)

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

I actually live quite near Missoula. And, no, it's not foodie heaven by any means.

I like the Lolo Steakhouse but my fave is Johnny Carino's Italian foods.

I hear great things about Scotty's Table and also Pearl.