• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What a Simple Pan Can Do: unleashing creativity

Gifted Gourmet

article from the Washington Post

The object of her affection: a coated aluminum tube pan. It's labeled a coffeecake pan by its manufacturer, Nordic Ware, "but what came to my mind was eggplant rice timballo," said Marchetti...  We passed along the 12-cup, plain-looking pan to two home cooks to see what it inspired... What they came up with was anything but plain: a party mousse version of artichoke and spinach dip spiked with Mexican cream, and cubed salmon, mushroom and spinach wrapped in puff pastry and served with basil pesto yogurt."There was something warm and appealing about this plain pan," opted for savory over sweet, enclosing salmon in puff pastry and folding in mushrooms and spinach.

How would you use this simple, very plain, tube pan? :rolleyes:

What things might you create?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I don't know much about religious-related pans but I do know that, in simplicity, there is room to 'think outside the pan', so to speak ...

The Nordic Ware company that manufactured the straight sided pan you mentioned is located here in Minnesota. Their company rose to prominence on the basis of having obtained exclusive manufactuing rights to the famous Bundt Pan in the early 1950's.

In rural areas of the state where church socials are still held, there are old jokes about how the "progressive" Lutherns will bake cakes in a Bundt pan while the "staid" Methodists stick with the more traditional straight sided cakes. :wink:

In trying to steer clear of controversy, :rolleyes: I'll admit to owning both style of pan. Now that I think about it though, I do tend to favor the Bundt for fancier cakes and reserve the tube pan for simpler recipes. :huh:

The most imaginative use I've put my tube pan to would be for yeast bread baking. Almost any bread dough will work, but it seems best suited to egg-heavy brioche type breads with soft crust and fine texture.

SB :cool:

I use both a regular tube pan and the shallower version to make various versions of "Monkey Bread" either plain, - that is, with the dough balls just dipped in melted butter - or with the dough balls dipped in butter and rolled in cinnamon with a little sugar or Splenda, or in a mixture of cinnamon, sweetener and finely ground nuts. Or for a savory type, dipped in butter and rolled in a mixture of salt, dried and coarsely ground onions, shallots, garlic and herbs.

Whatever type, this results in a pull-apart bread that is simply delicious either alone, as a snack or with tea, coffee or a meal.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Like this.

I made this cake last week subbing strawberries for peaches

And if you line the bottom of the tube pan with parchement your life will be much longer and you will have much, much lower bloodpressure.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I use both a regular tube pan and the shallower version to make various versions of "Monkey Bread" either plain, - that is, with the dough balls just dipped in melted butter - or with the dough balls dipped in butter and rolled in cinnamon with a little sugar or Splenda, or in a mixture of cinnamon, sweetener and finely ground nuts.  Or for a savory type, dipped in butter and rolled in a mixture of salt, dried and coarsely ground onions, shallots, garlic and herbs. 

Whatever type, this results in a pull-apart bread that is simply delicious either alone, as a snack or with tea, coffee or a meal.

THat's what I use mine for too Andie! :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I use both a regular tube pan and the shallower version to make various versions of "Monkey Bread" either plain, - that is, with the dough balls just dipped in melted butter - or with the dough balls dipped in butter and rolled in cinnamon with a little sugar or Splenda, or in a mixture of cinnamon, sweetener and finely ground nuts.  Or for a savory type, dipped in butter and rolled in a mixture of salt, dried and coarsely ground onions, shallots, garlic and herbs. 

THat's what I use mine for too Andie! :smile:

The term "Great Minds" comes to mind!!! :rolleyes:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I use muffin tins for individual monkey breads though, which are great for putting in school lunches. I don't think I've ever used my tube pan to actually make a cake in though.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I use muffin tins for individual monkey breads though, which are great for putting in school lunches.  I don't think I've ever used my tube pan to actually make a cake in though.

I don't have any monkeys. Should I get some. Is the bread worth it?

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Far be it from me to inadvertently inject a political reference into a thread, :rolleyes: but Monkey Bread received a boost in popularity when former First Lady Nancy Reagan announced it was one of her favorite recipes.

I've used my tube pan with a divider made of foil to make savory and sweet Monkey Breads at the same time! :smile:

SB :wink:

I've used my tube pan with a divider made of foil to make savory and sweet Monkey Breads at the same time! :smile:

That is so cool! Thanks for the idea!

That is a great idea. However, my problem is that there wouldn't be enough....... I can get around half a pan all by myself. In fact, I often commit the sin of eating the stuff while it is still hot. Whoever made that rule anyway? When I first started working in my mom's bakery (at age 15) one of my jobs was to load the bread into the oven and bang the finished loaves out onto a table and transfer them to the racks for cooling. (Four at a time - as the bread pans were bound together in sets of 4 pans, with metal straps holding them a couple of inches apart so the heat could circulate.)

As soon as I finished with the unloading, I would take a loaf, split it down the middle, lengthwise, apply butter liberally, then chop it into chunks and the bakers and other assistants would snack. My mother always said that eating yeast bread fresh out of the oven was unhealthy. I always asked, then why do we eat hot dinner rolls? :hmmm::huh:

That is so cool! Thanks for the idea!

That is a great idea. However, my problem is that there wouldn't be enough....... I can get around half a pan all by myself. m: :huh:

No problem! Just get a second tube pan and make two half pans of each. :laugh:

SB (math whiz) :wink:

Thanks! I needed that shot of reality!!! :blink:

Edited by andiesenji (log)