• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pomegranate Molasses

I've bought a gorgeous pom/merlot finishing sauce at Chef Central...maybe give them a call? Kings? Wegmans?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

It's typically found in most Middle Eastern markets.

It's also quite simple to make at home. In a heavy enameled saucepan, combine 6 cups of pomegranate juice with 1 cup each sugar and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Simmer to reduce to a syrupy consistency - about 1.5 cups. Cool, bottle, and refrigerate.

It's typically found in most Middle Eastern markets.

It's also quite simple to make at home. In a heavy enameled saucepan, combine 6 cups of pomegranate juice with 1 cup each sugar and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Simmer to reduce to a syrupy consistency - about 1.5 cups. Cool, bottle, and refrigerate.

6 cups of pomegrante juice would be quite pricey.

I do know of a middle eastern store on Summit Ave in Hasbrouck Height, behind the Crows Nest. I'll try there. Thanks!

I know this forum isn't a marketplace, but I carry it in my store. Our website (www.curiouskumquat.com) doesn't allow purchase yet, but you can email me directly if you get desperate. The other thing to consider is that it is often called pomegranate paste, and our brand is Tazah which should be readily available in the Chicago region. All in all, ours is inexpensive and I'd be happy to help you out.

Rob

There's a middle eastern store not far from Paramus on Kinderkamack Road called Arak you may want to call them to check. The store is about roughly 1 mile NORTH of Route 4 in River Edge and very easy to get to with a park-in lot.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

I double checked and ours is Zarrin brand. My favorite use for this is a meatloaf or roast glaze. We also tried it in martinis...big mistake, but pomegranate JUICE martinis are fantastic! I've been wanting to try it as a layer in a dark chocolate brownie...maybe I'll do that this weekend :)

The International Food Wharehouse in Lodi probably carries it.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I've bought it there twice. They had several brands. I've also seen it at Foodmart International on Route 9. In Queens, Titan Foods has it. And you can get this sort of thing from ethnicgrocer.com.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)