• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Roast Chicken / Pollo a la Brasa?

jsibley

I'm wondering if folks have favorite places for roast chicken, particularly Latin American "Pollo a la Brasa".

There is a Peruvian chicken place in Elizabeth on Eudora Ave that I haven't been to in a while, and they had good chicken, but the Peruvian hot sauce had mayonnaise in it, which I thought was a shame.

I'm sure there are other good places around (Union City?), so I thought I'd ask.

Any suggestions?

Sure. It is spit-roasted (rotisserie) chicken. As far as I know, it is marinated first, and ideally roasted over wood. It seems to be common in Peru and Colombia, and, most likely, other South American and Central American countries. There used to be a good version on the Upper East Side in NYC, at a place called "El Pollo". I was less impressed by their Soho branch, though.

I used to have great spit-roasted in Spain, too, fwiw. Now, time to find some in New Jersey.

El Pollo in Manhattan is gone and has been replaced by Pio Pio (their original and still operating location is in Queens). I love that style of chicken but will have to do some research to find best p[ace to get it in North Jersey. Where in Jersey are you? There are Columbian and Ecudaorian places in Harrison that might fit the bill and there are some Columbian places in West New York that would also be worth investigating. I enjoy the Cuban version of roast chicken but still find the Peruvian style to be more to my linking, possibly because of the style of the marinade. Have also tried some from The Boxing Chicken, a Puerto Rican place on Broadway in North Newark - it was okay but not that memorable and not worth making a special trip for.