• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Graduation dinner in Albany

coughy

My friend's daughter is graduating college in June in Schenectady. We will be about 20 people and are looking for a decent restaurant for a Saturday night dinner. We are staying in Albany so anywhere in between would be great.

Are they graduating from Union (my alma mater)?

What type of cuisine are you looking for? There are a few places that have private rooms. Send a few more details, I'll do some thinking and try to come up with some recommendations.

Mark A. Bauman

While I have not yet been here, friends whose opinions I trust rave about Angelo's 677 Prime Steakhouse. They have private dining options for 20 and 56 people in two different spaces.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Yes John- That would have been likely my number one choice, pending their choice of cuisine. Was thinking also of Jack's Oyster. Keeping it in the family, Angelo's flagship, Glen Sanders has a couple of private rooms (we had our office Christmas party in their wine room-very nice). Delmonico's Italian Steakhouse just received first place in the Metroland Reader poll for steakhouse category, just over 677, but I'm not familiar with it.

Mark A. Bauman

Some of the places Docsconz and I originally considered are, of course, steakhouses or so-called "fine dining". He and I will probably do some thinking and try to come up with something "casual, Italian". Only question if whether you'd prefer a separate party room. There is a quite decent casual Italian restaurant only minutes from campus named Cornell's which is quite popular (the college has a number of reunion dinners there, etc.). They do have at least one, if not more private rooms. They've been around forever, but built a brand new restaurant only a few years ago. That would be very nice. If you wanted to gravitate towards Albany, my favorite is still Cafe Capriccio. Food is a bit better. Older place in terms of decor, but still nice. Not sure if they have a private room, but if you go with a group of 20, you might fill much of the room. Their link: Cafe Capriccio. Needless to say, whatever you decide, book early. I'll try to come up with some other possibilities.

Mark A. Bauman

Although the Albany/Schenectady/Troy area isn't all that far from where I live, I must confess that I do not frequent the area for food as I rarely dine below exit 12 on the Northway unless I am down as far as NYC. I would suggest that Mark is a much better authority there than I.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

The Restaurant at the Italian American Community Center provides reasonable priced dinners with pretty good Italian fare often overlooked by visitors but supported by many locals. Located somewhat between Schenectady and Albany but just inside the Albany limits.

Lombardo's is also an Albany Landmark Valet parking is a nice touch in the city on the weekend with very attentive service with very good food and wine. 20 may be pushing the limits but worth a call.

Albany Times Union has an online review site if you need some more help.

edit to add: Mark has some great suggestions, which I am just trying to offer a few others that might interest you

woodburner

Edited by woodburner (log)

Cafe Capriccio, on Grand Street in Albany, has a private room upstairs to accommodate large parties. I believe that it is called the "Tuscan Room." Be sure to book early, as I am sure that this room is in great demand.

"Some ladies smoke too much and some ladies drink too much and some ladies pray too much, but all ladies think that they weigh too much."

From a poem by Ogden Nash - Curl Up and Diet

Delmonico's Italian Steakhouse just received first place in the Metroland Reader poll for steakhouse category, just over 677, but I'm not familiar with it.

Delmonico's is operated by the same group that has Delmonico's Italian Steakhouse in Syracuse and I don't recommend it. They actually have a prettty decent red sauce and the pasta is often cooked properly al dente but they tend to overbook, are very crowded and the steak ranges from mediocre to downright bad.

But Syracuse, being much like Albany, seems to have plenty of folks who keep lining up for more - it's always busy. Here's another way to look at it: if your house special is a 24 oz "Delmonico" steak that sells for $14.95 what the heck is that cut of meat you're actually serving?

Delmonico's Italian Steakhouse just received first place in the Metroland Reader poll for steakhouse category, just over 677, but I'm not familiar with it.

Delmonico's is operated by the same group that has Delmonico's Italian Steakhouse in Syracuse and I don't recommend it. They actually have a prettty decent red sauce and the pasta is often cooked properly al dente but they tend to overbook, are very crowded and the steak ranges from mediocre to downright bad.

But Syracuse, being much like Albany, seems to have plenty of folks who keep lining up for more - it's always busy. Here's another way to look at it: if your house special is a 24 oz "Delmonico" steak that sells for $14.95 what the heck is that cut of meat you're actually serving?

Yes. I agree and would suggest passing on Delmonico's.

I highly recommend Cafe Capriccio even though I have not been in awhile they always seem to remain consistent.

My only experience at Angelo's 677 Prime was a pre-opening cocktail party and could not judge from that.

Robert R

I concur; the Tuscan Room is very nice and just the right size- they can hold up to 35; 20 would be a comfortable fit. Last time I was there the food and wine were up to the standards set over the years. It would be my choice. Thanks for the info on Delmonico's.

Mark A. Bauman

Here's a link for Cornell's on Van Vranken Avenue, just few blocks from Union College.

Also on Van Vranken is Lorenzo's.

There's a new steakhouse near Union College called Parisi's Steakhouse.

There's also a very nice place in the historic Stockade, just a few blocks from Union, called the Stockade Inn.

and then there's the Van Dyke, also in the Stockade, with jazz, brew pub and dining (from BBQ to more elaborate fare); private rooms are available.

Edited to add: But if you want to eat in Albany, I'd ditto Cafe Capriccio.

Edited by Beanie (log)

Ilene

• 2 months later...

We are home from graduation and I thank all of you who suggested Cafe Capriccio. The food was outrageous. We had many people with different dietary needs and they accomodated all of us. We had a private room that was very comfortable for 26 of us. The staff was efficient and extremely pleasant.

Robin

Glad you liked it; it remains a favorite. If you are ever in Saratoga Springs, there's a cute new place called Gotchya's Trattoria on Beekman Street. Their chef, I believe his name is Dom Colose, is a former chef at Capriccio. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, there are a number of dishes there similar to those at Capriccio. As a side note, Chez Sophie has finally opened in their new home in The Saratoga hotel.

Mark A. Bauman

Glad you liked it; it remains a favorite. If you are ever in Saratoga Springs, there's a cute new place called Gotchya's Trattoria on Beekman Street. Their chef, I believe his name is Dom Colose, is a former chef at Capriccio. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, there are a number of dishes there similar to those at Capriccio. As a side note, Chez Sophie has finally opened in their new home in The Saratoga hotel.

Mark, Thanks for that information as I am almost positive Dom had a little place in Scotia before moving on to Cafe Capriccio. Will add Gotchya's to my must try list.

Robert R

Summer before I was at a restaurant on Fish Creek in Saratoga named Chameleon. Didn't know who the chef was, as it was my first time there. Saw a couple of menu offerings- eggplant with fouir cheeses, spicy black pasta with calamari and one more which I don't remember. Asked the server if the chef by any chance happened to be Dom Colose and they said "Yes, how did you know?" I'm sure we have all had those "deja vu" experiences when chefs move around and take dishes with them (although in this case, I don't believe they were necessarily his dishes, but existing signature dishes of the restaurant and its original chef/owner Jim Rua.)

Mark A. Bauman

I can ask around. Like many tourist destinations, we have people in town who are into the horses and enjoy going out during the season and those of us (like me) who avoid the restaurants (higher prices, lower quality, service, etc.) at that time of year. I'll ask around and re-post. Some possibilities, however, include some traditional places like The Wishing Well, The Lodge, possibly Chez Sophie.

Mark A. Bauman