• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whole striploin

maher

i have an excellent (dry aged prime grade) whole striploin that i am cooking next week and id love some ideas. i have previously either sliced this into steaks, or grilled it whole and sliced it very thin and rare onto sandwiches.

Does anyone have any experience with full striploins, or ideas for something else to do with them, or would that just be a waste of great beef.

I roast it, just as if it were a Rib Roast (a.k.a. Prime Rib), which is of course the "neighboring" cut. It makes an extremely delicious roast. If for any reason you have it on the bone, that's even better. But "no" it is not a waste of this cut - it's an especially good way to show it off.

A great description of how to roast such a cut can be found in Julia Child's "The Way to Cook" instrucitons for a Rib Roast (Prime Rib) (and it may be there that she mentions that you can do it equally well with the loin.)

Remember, the resting is the most important part.

I have followed the instructions for the "jus", and have always gotten great results. But lately I've discovered a boxed beef broth that the health food stores and upscale supermarkets sell- "Pacific" brand Beef Broth - and if you want to save yourself the trouble of making the jus, you can subsitute this with great results (or use it as an ingredient in her instructions).

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Dry aged Prime whole striploin? Just roast it whole and let it speak for itself. This is a beautiful piece of meat, and you want your guests to taste all the difference. You could cut it into steaks and grill, but if you've got a whole striploin's worth of guests coming and you're grilling to order, you'll be at the grill for a while. It's easier to carve a roast.

Smoking is great, but I wouldn't do it to dry aged Prime. Ditto for fancy rubs and marinades etc - save those for cheaper grades. Here all you want is salt, and maybe pepper.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

We buy a couple of whole strips every year, and used to cut em into 8-10 oz steaks for grilling. A year ago we bought two for a large party and my grill isn't big enough for this many steaks, so I roasted them. Salt, pepper and thyme, they were a huge hit, in fact I havn't cut em into steaks since. Always roast em now. I start out at high temp 550 f in the convection till there is some really nice browing (about 20 minutes, give or take) then drop the temp down to 275-300 and no convection. Cook to rare in the center. Because of the relative thinness of the strip loin you'll have plenty of variation in doneness from the ends in.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

Dry aged Prime whole striploin?  Just roast it whole and let it speak for itself.  This is a beautiful piece of meat, and you want your guests to taste all the difference.  You could cut it into steaks and grill, but if you've got a whole striploin's worth of guests coming and you're grilling to order, you'll be at the grill for a while.  It's easier to carve a roast.

Smoking is great, but I wouldn't do it to dry aged Prime.  Ditto for fancy rubs and marinades etc - save those for cheaper grades.  Here all you want is salt, and maybe pepper.

I agree!

It will need to rest at least 45 minutes so don't overcook. -Dick

thanks for all the great advice. i ended up with the most basic approach possible. i grilled it whole over charcoal, to a quite rare doneness, gave it 30 minutes to rest, and sliced it paper thin into crusty sandwiches with basic sides of lettuce, mustard and caramelized onions.

i love the smoking idea, but i think ill save that for a slightly tougher cut in a couple of weekends

maher