• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Sutton Arms

Given the high rating accorded to the SA i'm keen to try it and mentioned it as a potential lunch venue, guest was not overly excited as said it lacks atmosphere at lunchtime on past visits.

i suspect many of you regulars are evening punters anyone any thoughts on lunchtime?

I'm a fan of the don so an alternative that sprang to mind is the bleeding heart or perhaps cafe du marche? i know not directly comparable to TSA but anyone any thoughts on these two?

cheers

gary

you don't win friends with salad

Cafe du Marche food varies from good to middling. The vibe is very french (in a kind of bourgeois local resto sort of way rather than amuse-bouched penguin-suited manner) and quite nice at lunchtimes - upstairs will be very airy in the summer. Stuffed full of City Suits at lunch of course, so your clients should feel at home

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Ive been to the Sutton Arms twice for lunch and both times it was pretty close to dead empty. I would have to concur with your guest's perception. In addition the times I have been there for lunch, the food was markedly inferior to what I got at evening time.

Thomas Secor

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Delicious meal on Tuesday night after a trip to the brabican.

Steak & Kidney pud was a dark pool of savoury goodness unlocked from its comforting pillow. Good carrots.

Then roast figs with yoghurt & honey ice cream, poppy seed cake.

Having kicked off with a lovely gruner veltliner - the soft contours of limestone country - if a wine is its geology, an autumnal claret with the steak & kidney.

It is very sad that the dining room is likely to close at Christmas. I can only hope that we'll be able to eat Rosie's cooking somewhere else soon - and enjoy the hospitality that graces this room.

Wilma squawks no more

It is very sad that the dining room is likely to close at Christmas. I can only hope that we'll be able to eat Rosie's cooking somewhere else soon - and enjoy the hospitality that graces this room.

We'll have to give it a damn fine send off at the Christmas bash.