• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

bloody mary variations

detlefchef

I'm looking to put together a bloody mary list for my new dim sum brunch that I'll be rolling out in April. Anybody have anything lately that really knocked them out?

I'm currently working on an all-green version with cukes, jalapeno, herbs, and wasabi.

I'm also looking to integrate some of the star-anise beef broth from our braised ribs into one.

sometime in the next week, my bar manager and I are going to get together and just start screwing around but I'd love to hear some thoughts.

My kitchen is already full of plenty of things that could work. Fish sauce, various sambals, of course soy sauce, and the like.

At any rate...thoughts?

Tomatoes are out of season; but, I had some nearly clear and very tasty tomato water out at a restaurant the other night. I was thinking that it would make a particularly elegant "up" bloody mary, perhaps in combination with some horseradish infused vodka. Maybe some crushed pink peppercorns as a garnish?

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Just thought of while seeing this thread, but I think a habenero or scotch bonnet pepper flavored Bloody Mary would be great. A judicious hand with this chile is needed, but the flavor with tomato is great.

I like the beginnings of your asian-inspired ideas, detlefchef. Green versions sound interesting as well. Lime might also work nicely with some of the herby/spicy mixes. I wonder if lime, cilantro and serranos would work in some incarnation.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Try a can of double rich campbell's beef broth, the same size can of vodka and a half can of tomato puree--mix well and add pepper, hot sauce and celery salt to taste. Serve over cracked ice.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

I like to rim the glass with white Worcestershire sauce and then some sort of seasoning mix that I've powdered by wizzing it through the coffee grinder. This gives you virtually endless possibilities for subtle flavor differences. Old Bay Seasoning, Middle Eastern Zhataar, Italian Seasoning, dried citrus zest, etc. could all be powdered and used to rim the lip of the serving glass.

Another way to vary this drink easily (aside from the obvious - tequila = Bloody Maria, Aquavit = Danish Mary, Gin = Red Snapper) is to vary the produce in it. Aside from the usual celery sticks you can use light steamed asparagus (white looks particularly attractive), skewered olives with various stuffings, carrot sticks, cucumber spears, etc.

And lastly, there's the idea of infusing whatever you like into the vodka and going from there. I've had good success with horseradish vodka, basil vodka, paparika vodka, etc. Go nuts. The possibilities are without bounds.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thanks to the fact that I live in ACC country and every restaurant without 10 big screen TVs is dead tonight, we had a chance to mess around a little with the Green Mary.

Thus far, the base is:

Puree of cucumber, celery, scallion, cilantro, green curry paste

added to that is horseradish, fish sauce, lime juice.

The bartender mixed in Stoli Orange and straight Stoli.

Pretty freaking good to start.

Best ever was one in Singapore that used fresh crushed szechuan peppercorns, which have an extraordinary depth of flavor and make a nice little numb to the tongue. The bloody also had lime juice and horseradish. If you were wondering, the import embargo on szechuan peppercorns (into the US) was lifted last year.

In Delhi we had one that used Asafoetida (hing), which had all the depth the spice provides. If you're not familiar with this spice, be careful to pre-mix this in the kitchen as the spice alone is truly fetid. Any good Indian spice shop will have this spice.

Edited by Friend of the Farmer (log)

Best ever was one in Singapore that used fresh crushed szechuan peppercorns, which have an extraordinary depth of flavor and make a nice little numb to the tongue. 

Funny you say that, as of late I have been adding a Szechuan pepper tinture in my Snappers and in wet Martinis.

Thanks to the fact that I live in ACC country and every restaurant without 10 big screen TVs is dead tonight, we had a chance to mess around a little with the Green Mary.

Thus far, the base is:

This sounds great. I think I'm going to rip you right off. I'll try to give credit where credit is due.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Thus far, the base is:

This sounds great. I think I'm going to rip you right off. I'll try to give credit where credit is due.

Just one second, I thought this thread was about me ripping you guys off!