• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The "Un-Common" Best of Vancouver

PaoPao

Here's a real morsel: Thomas Haas' chocolates, especially the pink grapefruit with campari truffle. I'm not much of a sweets guy, but these things!

(Actually, all the pastries that Haas has at his North Vancouver store are tremendous. Even his coffee is good.)

And on the topic of Savary Island Pie Company, don't forget their lemon - blueberry pie. Yikes.

Edited by Paul B (log)

Paul B

Also, apparently they change the oil for the deep-frying on Sundays, so if you want fresher-tasting spring rolls, Sunday evenings or Mondays would be your best bet.  :smile:

Really. Saturdays must be really grim. :unsure:

Here's a real morsel:  Thomas Haas' chocolates, especially the pink grapefruit with campari truffle.  I'm not much of a sweets guy, but these things! 

(Actually, all the pastries that Haas has at his North Vancouver store are tremendous.  Even his coffee is good.)

I love the Haas chocolates too. One of my favourites is the whiskey and almond truffle, even if it is made with milk chocolate. The pistachio marzipan also stood out for me. I love the tiny bit of kirsch they put in there. What really stands out for me is how fresh all the nuts used in his chocolates are.

I had a selection of pastries from there awhile back, and the clear winner was the twice-baked almond croissant! :wub:

And one of my favourite lunches a few years ago were the croissant sandwiches from Sen5es. I haven't had one in a long time though.

Edited by Ling (log)

I recently was hosting an advisory panel meeting in North Carolina. I wanted to have a token of our appreciation (in addition to the usual cash type of thanks) and something that was not off-the-shelf so I had boxes of the Haas chocolates flown down. We gave each of the panel members one of those boxes with the trays that swing out and there are about 4 layers.

First of all, the staff at Haas couldn't have been more helpful in arranging the delivery details. But most importantly, the chocolates literally stole the show. This was a room of surgeons, cardiologists and neurologists. They were so impressed; I even got THANK YOU notes. I have never, ever had a thank-you note from one of these meetings ever before. And I have done my fair share of them. I always try to think up something interesting to have as a welcome gift that has a least a sense of Canada or Vancouver. It is difficult to try and avoid the obvious (smoked salmon, maple syrup, native Canadian things) or the cliched. I know what I'm using in the future! And these chocolats really are amazing.

Cheers,

Karole

• 4 months later...

Just got back from Costco and have picked up an old favourite, their Strawberry Rhubarb Pie which is always delicious. Also a new favourite they have is granola made in the bakery. Really big crispy chewy chunks with raisins and nuts. $10 gets you a pretty decent size portion of granola heaven.

Just got back from Costco and have picked up an old favourite, their Strawberry Rhubarb Pie which is always delicious.  Also a new favourite they have is granola made in the bakery.  Really big crispy chewy chunks with raisins and nuts.  $10 gets you a pretty decent size portion of granola heaven.

My wife just came back with some of that granola, I have to agree ... it's great.

As for my contribution to this thread: JNZ deli (I think that's the name) on commercial just south of first on the west side of commercial. For any of their smoked sausages.

M.

I've got to add:

* sfogliatelle from Calabria Bakery

* Machaca sandwich from Duffin's donuts

* Laugenwecken from Swiss Bakery

* Red bean with matcha cream pan at Kei's Bakery

* Lamb sag at Al Watan on Fraser

* Double boiled ginger custard at Ho Yuen Ke on Fraser

* All the breads at European Breads on Fraser

Cheers!

Edited by Vancouver (log)

As for my contribution to this thread: JNZ deli (I think that's the name) on commercial just south of first on the west side of commercial.  For any of their smoked sausages.

M.

JNZ products are prominently featured at Salt. Now that I have sampled their sausages - I am really interested in checking out their full selection.

Donuts from Honey's in Deep Cove. Either the plain or maple for me, thanks! :wub:

I'll also vouch for the cookies at the Dish. Best ever in town.

Jyako salad at Zakushi. Thin slices of cucumber and daikon with a ume dressing.

Cilantro and fish congee at Congee Noodle House.

We just discovered the Crab Shack on Dollarton Hwy. The fish and chips there are great! The fish is so tender and juicy and the batter is delicate and probably the most seasoned batter I've ever had. The chips were just ok, but oh, the fish.....

Quentina

I don't have these often but find them very enjoyable every time I do:

The savoury waffles at Octopus' Garden they sometimes bring out while we're waiting between dishes.

Japa-dogs on Burrard.

Crab and spinach salad appetizer at Isami.

I'm throwing in a drink into the mix here (as I've been having quite a few of these lately!) My absolute favourite lemon drop martini in the city is at Parkside.

This may have been mentioned last season but it bears bringing up again : Right now is the time to buy wild White Spring Salmon. It is a great and underappreciated member of the salmon family that is every bit as good, if not better, than regular wild spring. It is also called Ivory Salmon and best of all it usually sells for $2 - $3 dollars a pound less than regular old Spring. It is usually available at all the Granville Island fishmongers as well as the Seven Seas fish store on W. 4th and probably most other seafood stores.

The only problem (for me anyway) is that the filets are sometimes quite large and.... as they do not always sell as fast you have to watch the freshness. They should look just like the other salmon, firm, shiny filets and of course that nice fresh fish smell.

A couple of weekends ago I was in Whole Foods and they were specialing them out and discontinuing them because they were not selling. Pity!

Phnom Pehn

- That really thinly sliced raw beef dish which is smothered with garlic, cilantro, fish sauce and other goodies. You wrap the raw meat around it to make like a raw meat taco.

I really need to memorize the name of that dish!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Two things:

We make a monthly meat run to Bonetti's in Aldergrove. Their prices are really good, but the first time I tried them, I couldn't believe the tremendous difference in taste between their meat and, well, any supermarket in town. It was even a little bit eerie.

I don't think they're especially underrated, being one of the most famous pastry shops in town, but I go to Notte's Bon Ton almost every week and get a couple of those lovely bite-sized morsels out of their front window. It's my little post-bike-ride treat on Saturday mornings.