• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The "Un-Common" Best of Vancouver

PaoPao

Yesterday, I was thinking about this as I was buying my favourite Oatmeal Choc Chip cookies at Dish on Davie. If by chance I would never had stumbled into Dish to see what it was all about, I would never have tasted what I consider an amazingly good cookie. IMHO the best in Vancouver. I haven't heard anyone mention them, never read about them here, and that got me wondering .... what else are people keeping to themselves?

Obviously individual tastes vary but still .... great items can hold their place with demand. So, I'm curious, what specific dish(s) or items do you consider amazing but have rarely heard promoted?

PHAT smoked meat sandwiches in Yaletown.

Serengeti's boerewors, driewors, and biltong (dit is baie lekker kos, bru).

Chicken pie at Savary Island Pie Company.

Miniature short rib burgers at the Ocean Club.

Sorry, Pao Pao, but that's all I'm willing to share... :biggrin:

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Chicken pie at Savary Island Pie Company.

I concur. Their pie dough is pure sex on a plate.

- Green Tea "slush" bubble tea at Dragon Ball (Oak and King Ed)

- Sliced Fish Congee at Congee Noodle House (not sure why but it's really good now)

- Vietnamese Buns - Au Petit

- Fries with the curry/mayo dip at Fritz on Davie

- Yam Fries at Hamilton Street Grill (with that dip!!)

- Lemon Soju - Jang Mo Jib on Robson

Edited by fud (log)

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

A few more:

- Tropical Carrot Cake - Picnic

- Tiny Steak Sammies in the bar - Morton's

- Cheese Danish - Mckinnon's Bakery

- Portuguese Egg Tart - Michelle Bakery

- Chorizo Nacho's - The Whip

- Croissant Donut - Davie Safeway

- Spinach Salad - Capone’s

- Ginger Beef - Szechuan Chong Quing

- Patty Melt - Diner

No disrespect at all to Neil, but can someone please explain exactly how his yam fries are flying under the radar?

HSG yam fries win Vancouver Sun award.

I am Lord of the fry, kneel before me.

fud, get your facts straight man, these are rated the best fries in town.

I am buying Yam futures right now because we sell so many.

Like the gingerbread pudding, they too will become World Famous.

85 copies of the G Bread recipe sent out so far, all over the freakin' world.

How's that for flying under the freakin radar : Billions and billions of soon to be gingerbread slaves, preparing to do my bidding, starting my evil plan of world domination.

Fud, you are first on the hit list for such a blasphemous statement. Get your affairs in order.

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

No disrespect at all to Neil, but can someone please explain exactly how his yam fries are flying under the radar?

You must be the reason Costco now sells 5 pound bags of raw yam strips in the produce section. :wink:

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

You must be the reason Costco now sells 5 pound bags of raw yam strips in the produce section. :wink:

That's exactly what I thought when I saw them! I kinda wondered if Neil had a copyright protection that might have been compromised. Interesting timing (it was some weeks back that I saw them, but I lacked the courage to post a comment!) but the HSG yam fries were definitely a hot topic here! :smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Fud, you are first on the hit list for such a blasphemous statement. Get your affairs in order.

I exist only to serve....gingerbread pudding...for master...yes...

- Pakoras at DV8 - another fave!

- Milkshakes at Sunshine Diner

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

- Pakoras at DV8 - another fave!

- Milkshakes at Sunshine Diner

is DV8 open again? every time i walk past, the stack of mail inside the door gets a little bigger. great place to take your vegetarian and vegan friends... if you'll admit having them.

Barrett Jones - 49th Parallel Coffee Roasters

Dwell Time - my coffee and photography site

The beef tongue @ Hapa Izakaya

Memo

Yeah, I love the tongue there.

fud: is the green tea slush the same as the green tea ice-cream bbt? If so, I love that.

PaoPao: Isn't the croissant donut available at all Safeways? I know they have it in Richmond. I don't really enjoy them, but my parents buy them sometimes.

My contribution: the pho at Bao Chau, and their spring rolls. The place doesn't seem to get much mention on this board.

You know, Solly's comes up once in a while, but it's a great place that's easy to take forgranted. I find that lately, the quality and service has been really great at the location off Main. The new "Hot Doggel" is my new Thursday lunch standby, and there are always seasonal treats like the chocolate-filled "Babkataschen" especially for Purim. This is a cookie shaped like a tricorn hat filled with babka chocolate and baked.

For PMS--I was going to say a cure, but at least a panacea--the "Bagel de Lox" is cheesy salty carbs and proteins that does the trick.

It's a place that fills a really important niche in the neighborhood.

Thank God for Solly's!

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Another reason for me to get to HSG.....I am a lover of a good steak and I want to try this famous gingerbread pudding I keep hearing about. However, I adore yams in any version except when gunked up with marshallows and stuff. Now my mouth is watering just hearing about these yam fries and dip. That will definitely be a starter for me. I have a good excuse to order them as my Dr tells me to eat yams as they are good for your immune system.....grin. I have MS so I am always being nagged about eating stuff to build my immune system so it sounds likes Neils yams is just what the Dr ordered.....cheeky grin :rolleyes:

OH, Master of the Gingerbread Pudding and Yam Fry Kingdom did you get my missive containing my email address so you could send me Royal document with gingerbread pudding recipe. I realize Master is busy and I am but a mere peasant of your culinary kingdom but I await your words humbly.

:wub:

Never met a vegetable I never liked except well okra!

OH, Master of the Gingerbread Pudding and Yam Fry Kingdom did you get my missive containing my email address so you could send me Royal document with gingerbread pudding recipe. I realize Master is busy and I am but a mere peasant of your culinary kingdom but I await your words humbly.

:wub:

Actually, no I did not miss it.

I granted you wish but your email got kicked back.

Send your email address to

hamiltonstreetgrill@telus.net and your wish will be granted.

Lord of the tuber

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Now I don't want all of you keeners going to this place all at once cause this deal cannot be ruined. Things would get messy. Capiche?

Mexicali on Dunbar. $5 (tax included) for a beef redondo roll up and a coke. Cheaper than any fast food joint and good hearty home made grub.

Donald Special (has to have both beef and chicken) at Taco Lui's in Lansdowne Mall.

You have a special named after you at a Food Court place? That's just sad. Get a puppy if you crave attention that much. :laugh:

Like Pao Pao, one of my "uncoomon" faves is a cookie. The Coco-Loco cookie at Tomatoe Fresh Food Cafe on Cambie is without a doubt my favorite cookie anywhere. Even better than the PB cookies mom used to make.

The Pork Tomales at La Salza deli in North Burnaby are worth the trip, but their home made salsas guild the lilly.

The shoestring fries at Havana. They usually come with the Tito Puente, but I'll often order a plate of them and a mojito, sit on the patio and watch the freaks go by :shock:

A.

My contribution: the Fanny Bay Oysters with sautéed smoked chipotle peppers, cream, sundried tomatoes and parmesan at the Water Street cafe in Gastown.

Yummy!

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

The shoestring fries at Havana.  They usually come with the Tito Puente, but I'll often order a plate of them and a mojito, sit on the patio and watch the freaks go by :shock:

Good Call Arne. Shoestring fries rock and they are SO good in a burger.

Donald Special (has to have both beef and chicken) at Taco Lui's in Lansdowne Mall.

You have a special named after you at a Food Court place? That's just sad. Get a puppy if you crave attention that much. :laugh:

No need for me to defend myself but I will anyway.

It’s not on the menu but the owner and his wife know what it is and so did the original owner. He also has an icbc, air canada and a couple other specials.

Sometimes its easier saying two words then listing off what you want, especially when you’re a little picky and you do it 2-5 times a week for over 5 years as well order of 10-15 meals once every two weeks for just under a year. I haven’t been there in a while but I know a few friends still do go there and ask for a Donald Special, plus its cheaper to order it that way or at least it used to be.

And I would love to have a dog but no time for one. Sigh

Edited by D90 (log)

fud: is the green tea slush the same as the green tea ice-cream bbt? If so, I love that.

One and the same. Yumm. taro is good too.

My contribution: the pho at Bao Chau, and their spring rolls. The place doesn't seem to get much mention on this board.

Good call. Bao Chau is our closest neighborhood pho joint. I especially like the pho ga and, of course, the spring rolls.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Good call. Bao Chau is our closest neighborhood pho joint. I especially like the pho ga and, of course, the spring rolls.

Also, apparently they change the oil for the deep-frying on Sundays, so if you want fresher-tasting spring rolls, Sunday evenings or Mondays would be your best bet. :smile:

Also, apparently they change the oil for the deep-frying on Sundays, so if you want fresher-tasting spring rolls, Sunday evenings or Mondays would be your best bet.  :smile:

Thanks for the tip!

Baker of "impaired" cakes...