• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Angostura 1919

http://www.susimetsa.net/rum/reviews-en.php

Angostura 1919 is light amber in colour and its nose is very sweet and complex, with hints of vanilla and caramel. The rum's taste is as complex as its nose, pleasantly flavourful, although with a slightly spirited edge. It has a long, soft aftertaste.

So, in short, I liked it and will try to get some more with the first chance I get! :smile:

Angostura 1919 is a fairly light rum as is typical of the rums of Trinidad. The slight sharpness in the aroma is a little unbalanced from the other pleasant wood and smoky flavors in the finish.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a few bottles of the 1824, It's a nice rum. Been meaning to try the 1919.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

In fairness to 1824, the last time I tasted that rum it was much better than the first time. According to the rep who gave me my last taste, the reformulation is less sweet and better. Initially I found this rum very sweet with an artifical taste.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

1919 is definitely the best of the Angostura range. I agree with Ed that the 1824 tastes somewhat artificial. I shall be drinking plenty of 1919 with ginger beer, a squeeze of lime and Angostura bitters during Trinidads brief experience in the World Cup. Come of Soca Warriors...

When I read about the evils of drinking rum...I stopped reading...because life is too short, so smile and enjoy yourself...

therumman@btinternet.com

1919 is definitely the best of the Angostura range. I agree with Ed that the 1824 tastes somewhat artificial. I shall be drinking plenty of 1919 with ginger beer, a squeeze of lime and Angostura bitters during Trinidads brief experience in the World Cup. Come of Soca Warriors...

I'll try that suggestion (ginger beer, lime, etc.). Maybe I will like it better. Right now, I'm rating it a 2 on a scale from 1 to 4 (highest) after trying it neat, chilled, and with a splash of water.

• 3 weeks later...