• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grinders v. Food Processors

Berlinsbreads

In learning Indian cooking, I've noticed that there are products called 'grinders' (as in Spice Grinders, Wet & Dry grinders, etc). What is the difference between these products and a food processor? I have found recommendations on food blogs for a Sumeet Multi Spice Grinder. As far as what I can tell, it looks like a glorified coffee grinder. What gives?

Any help with explaining these things would be welcome!

In my opinion the Sumeet Grinder is the ultimate of blender/grinders. The only reason I haven't bought one myself is because my 35 year old Osterizer refuses to die.

If you will notice the lever on the top. It can be turned to scrape the container while the product is being ground. This is what makes it so much more efficient than a standard grinder. Wet ingredients can't be ground in a regular spice grinder. They will destroy it.

I have a Sumeet grinder that I purchased a few years ago in order to grind the 2 inch diameter pieces of cinnamon that I bought in Little Siagon in Anaheim.

There is no comparison to grinding spices in a coffee grinder. This thing has muscle, it can reduce the cinnamon to a powder in no time. It can also easily grind dried ginger or turmeric, which are very difficult to grind with any thing else.

I also use it to make nut pastes, much more efficiently than with a food processor.

The little piece of plastic that is inside the lid can be turned with the handle on top while grinding to redistribute any stray pieces back to the blade. I bought an extra stainless container and lid. You can put the parts in the dishwasher, so unlike your coffee grinder you can get the flavour out without having to grind some rice between spices.

If you are going to make your own indian spice mixtures, or just love the ability to have fresh spices on hand I highly recommend the sumeet.

Thanks for the information on the Sumeet grinder. What model do you have? Is it the Multi Grind that I linked to at Williams-Sonoma or the big Mixie model that has all sorts of attachments?

I was curious about this machine because it looks to be about the size of a coffee grinder. Is this right? How much does the thing hold? Can you grind up some curry paste in any sizeable amount?

Thanks for your input!

It's the Multi Grind that I have, which is the smaller unit. I looked at a the bigger one, but realized that with all the other toys I have in my kitchen that I didn't need it.

The machine itself is bigger than a coffee grinder. The base is about the size of a blender base, but taller.

The Multi Grind stainless container holds about 1 1/2 cups, but I find that smaller batches are better. It works so quickly that you can do a couple of batches easily.

I purchased it from the folks in Canada who import Sumeet, I can't access their internet site for some reason, but the address is 7725 Birchmont Rd, Markham, Ontario phone number 1-800-268-1530 or

(905) 940 6873. Excellent price from them. I have purchased 3 all together for myself and 2 friends.

Some day I want a Sumeet. I'm getting by with a coffee grinder now, and while it does work, it's nothing in comparison with the big guns.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

In southern indian cuisine dahl is often wet ground in a stone edge mill to make Idli, dosa, vada, dhokla, Puto and the like. Ther are modern electric domestic versions such as http://www.innoconcepts.com/grindplus.htm These have a pair of stones running over a stone base, quite a different mechanism for the whirling blades of a food processer.

• 10 years later...

This is a very old post. I don't do Indian cooking but I like to keep a small wet and dry grinder. I have been using the Secura grinder for some years now and I think I've broke 4 jars so far. Enough.

I also have a magimix, that I barely use, it has been in the cupboard for long time, I'll leave out all the annoyances I have with this machine. I find a wet and dry grinder much more useful for me.

I'd like to grind spices if needed and make small quantities for pestos, marinades etc. And I'd like to make my nut pastes.

Any suggestion for something compact under $100?

Not sure what a Secura grinder is. I use old coffee grinders for dry spices. I have two, not for wet and dry but for sweet and savory. I use one for cloves, allspice, etc. The other for cumin, pepper, etc. (Although lately I've been forgetting which is for which.) They're good, but only for small quantities. I clean them with a damp cloth, which I find works better than grinding rice. They're rotary grinders, left over from before I bought my burr coffee grinder.