• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Forgotten Restaurant

Lan4Dawg

We were at a book signing at the Margaret Mitchell House last night and the food was catered by The Pleasant Peasant. I heard at least a half dozen people say some thing along the lines of, "Is that place still open? I forgot about it. Ya know, I remember when....." These conversations led to a discussion between Fuss and me on the way home about the restaurant it self and "forgotten" restaurants in Atlanta (in our case). We remembered when the Pleasant Peasant opened and was "cutting edge"--at least for Atlanta. They had chalk board menus and the wait staff was openly gay and wore some thing besides the usual black & white out fits--plaid shirts in their case. They did not take reservations and seated on a "first come, first served" basis. The food was some what cutting edge and not the typical stuffy, stodgy, and expected restaurant food and the concept was so popular that they grew and opened almost a dozen "sister" restaurants in and around the city yet it, apparently, has been some what forgotten.

Are there places in your city that fit this description? Some place where you went for your prom night or a date. You remember when it was the "in place" and people lined up to get reservations or just go there and be seen. May be you or a friend had your rehearsal dinner or wedding dinner there or you remember your parents going there for an anniversary or special event. The restaurant is still open for business but no one seems to talks about it any more.

Is it the neighborhood? or did other restaurants just surpass it? Is it b/c the restaurant is in the city and most folks live in the suburbs? Have they they just not changed w/ the times? Do management/service/food/setting/ambience just not quite cut it any more? or do we just take them for granted?

There are several in Atlanta I know--the Pleasant Peasant, Pittypat's Porch, Bugatti's, the Mansion, the place at Tara Shopping Center off Cheshire Bridge whose name I can not remember, and I am certain I am forgetting quite a few (& this does not include the "dearly departed" such as Herren's, the Abbey. What restaurant in your city is still open but is "forgotten"? A place that when some one mentions it the first thing you think is "are they still around? & would you go back there?

(edited to point out that we are lucky to have micropundit's list of restaurant comings and goings to help us keep up w/ openings and closings.)

Edited by Lan4Dawg (log)

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

The place near Tara is called South of France and they have been there forever .. or at least since the Civil War ... :wink:

One place I remember fondly but which is gone now was on Peachtree Street and was called The Coach and Six .. anyone remember that one? :rolleyes:

One "are they still around? & would you go back there?" would be The Colonnade on Cheshire Bridge Road but they still do a good business, from what I recall ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

South of France! thx Melissa (one of these days you will be old and your rememberer will work only when it wants ":^) ).

& yes I do fondly remember The Coach and Six.

As for The Colonnade I read about them at least once a month or so in various publications which is why I did not include them. We do, how ever, need to remember them in our fried chicken search as they are well known for their preparation of that dish.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

In Birmingham, I think it's Nabeel's. It's a great place, a little out of the way, kind of "ethnic", but not nearly as widely loved as it should be. It's not uncommon to seat a table of 6 or 8 with no problems on a Saturday night, even though they only have 7-8 tables and a few booths. Small place, but out of this world Greek and Mediterranean food.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Guest MNewman

FYI...I think The Mansion and Bugatti are both closed.

Petite Auberge, Carbo's and Nikolai's Roof don't get a lot of press these days. Carbo's still does good business and I rarely hear anyone mention them. I've always had good meals at Petite Auberge and last year I hit Nikolai's Roof and was impressed. Still a great view in an "over the top", slightly cheesy setting.

Others that are still around from the old days and that you don't hear as much about include Dailey's, Trader Vics (tourists), Red Snapper (I don't care for it myself) and Dante's Down The Hatch (ditto).

Edited by MNewman (log)

Petite Auberge, Carbo's and Nikolai's Roof don't get a lot of press these days.  Carbo's still does good business and I rarely hear anyone mention them.  I've always had good meals at Petite Auberge and last year I hit Nikolai's Roof and was impressed.  Still a great view in an "over the top", slightly cheesy setting.

I've had, um, uneven experiences at Petite Auberge over the last year, and definitely won't be returning to South of France anytime soon.

Dined for the first time at Nikolai's Roof a few weeks ago, and was distinctly underwhelmed. Decor interesting, but food not nearly worth it.

The Colonnade is still rocking, as is Mary Mac's.

The Peasant Pleasant has dropped off the radar (open, but with different owners), but one of the original owners, Bob Amick, is going strong with new ventures:One, Two, Piebar, Lobby, etc.

Can you pee in the ocean?