• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Night of 1001 delights

gfron1

My apologies in advance if this topic is in the archives already - I did search but didn't find it...

I am planning an event called The Night of 1001 Delights. The idea is to bring together 10-15 guests and serve what the average person would consider the perfect meal. I want the opportunity to open up the 25-year balsamic, etc with people who otherwise would not have the opportunity.

The question is what would that meal consist of. I want this to be affordable for them but be the ultimate, special moment. Ideas, suggestions...

Interesting question.  What do you mean by affordable?  :rolleyes:

Affordable in our small town is very different from the NYC or SF crowds, but we're hoping to have the meal cost around $75 per person. If we can develop the perfect meal, then we can work on finding ingredients to get a decent price.

An interesting challenge because I think people will define a perfect meal based on where they grew up and their age. As a Southern girl in my late 20s, my perfect meal would have a creamy (though not necessary cream-based) soup, some kind of mixed-green salad (perhaps with roasted mushrooms and a poached egg), seafood, and a dessert involving chocolate or a fruit sorbet.

My dad, on the other hand, would insist on surf and turf, and my mom would probably want something fried. :hmmm:

Rebecca Hassell

Cookin' in Brookland

An interesting challenge because I think people will define a perfect meal based on where they grew up and their age. As a Southern girl in my late 20s, my perfect meal would have a creamy (though not necessary cream-based) soup, some kind of mixed-green salad (perhaps with roasted mushrooms and a poached egg), seafood, and a dessert involving chocolate or a fruit sorbet. 

My dad, on the other hand, would insist on surf and turf, and my mom would probably want something fried.  :hmmm:

This feedback is very helpful - thank you guys. Hearing it, I guess my quest is to find the perfect meal based on a stereotype. In other words, if you thought Olive Garden was a gourmet meal, but, you watched the Food Network until your eyes glazed over, what would you think the perfect meal would be. I've been thinking about the 25 year balsamic, foie gras, kobe beef, etc...

I watched Iron Chef America last night and they used American Kobe beef. I don't eat beef but it looked incredible.

I would have to include lobster, caviar, and raspberries in my perfect meal. Raspberries not being in season may rule that out, though. Maybe you can make a lobster bisque and use caviar on blinis for an app?

Molten chocolate cake is perfection for many people (topped with a scoop of super-premium vanilla ice cream).

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

First of all, put the Balsamico aside, even if its 175 years old. My suggestion -

Open with blinis with caviar and creme fraiche

Continue with consomme Emile Zola

For the main course lobster thermidor

For dessert Bombe Monselet

That, of course, followed by a cheese platter

If not that, if you can find a large sea turtle, replicate Babette's Feast.

My perfect meal has to have some great mushrooms. Morels are wonderful, for example. I agree with the cheese platter. Get a variety of the highest-quality cheeses you can find, and bake some delicious breads to go with them -- maybe an olive bread and a raisin bread, but that's up to you.

For dessert, there's nothing better than top-quality fresh lychees, but failing that, how about some prune armagnac ice cream? I just checked out Daniel Rogov's recipe for Bombe Monselet, and that ice cream might go well with it. Then again, maybe it would be excessive. I'd also love an ambrosial Muscat wine or really high-quality Muscat grapes. You have lots to choose from.

Michael aka "Pan"

A few general ideas for *a* version of a very special meal:

( do like the idea of incorporating some special type of mushrooms somewhere in the meal, although this will also be dependent on seasonality.)

special seafood dish as a first course, potentially cool or at room temperature

( I would love something with sea urchin but this may be too far out for some; else something with oysters, shrimp, lobster or scallops; other ideas would be to prepare these or sushi-quality fish in some of type of raw or crudo preparation; something great to go with Champagne or the best local Gruet, perhaps?)

a perfect consomme with some type of quenelles

(I've never taken the time or expense to make a truly rich perfect consomme and I would love to have one; this could be a clear beet-beef consomme with mushroom quenelles or a classic seafood consomme with trout quenelles, for instance )

a smaller course with fois gras, sweetbreads, quail or some other savory special game or offal

(This could be as part of a stuffed pasta dish or not.)

A special lamb or beef dish

(lamb for me...)

I like the idea of a carefully picked selection of cheeses that are difficult for the average person to obtain.

Escoffier's Fresh Pineapple Sorbet served with Champagne Sabayon and Candied Rose Petals.

Opitional: One imaginatively-flavored and delicious tasting dark chocolate truffle

Well, I could picture many other types of perfect meals, especially if one narrowed the parameters in some way or focused on the influence of a particular cuisine or a particular season.

It sounds like a fun undertaking; I hope you share some of your decisions later on.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

My meal looks pretty huge in retrospect , but maybe it could be reasonable with the right portion sizes or cutting out some of the courses. It's kind of generic too...but it contains some elements I would really like. I would love an all seafood meal but I'm not sure if that would be generally lauded or appreciated.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 4 weeks later...

When I think of 1001 delights. I think of Middle Eastern Food and eating with your hands.

Here are a few suggestions (not necessarily Middle Eastern):

Figs stuffed with Foie Gras

Lamb Shanks with Fruited Couscous

Couscous Tfaya with Cornish Hens and Dates

Pineapple Charlotte

Edited by Swisskaese (log)