• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dan Lepard's books and breads

devlin

Just got his Handmade Loaf and am enjoying reading for now. I decided to start with his crusty potato bread but am wondering whether this particular formula would function well in the refrigerator overnight and then kneading and so forth as is noted the next day.

It's the addition of the potatos and refrigerating I'm worried about in particular. I don't know whether anything (flavor, texture, rise, etc) will be compromised if I mix the night before and then knead, divide, shape and bake the next day.

12 hours in the fridge is about 2 - 2 1/2 hours of proofing, so take that into account in your calculations.

regards

Bill

Yup, thanks Bill. I already knew that, but I was worried in particular about the potato issue. Maybe it doesn't matter? Would they work better added the next day? Or are they okay for a 12 proof in the fridge?

i used to make (at a restaurant) donuts with mashed potato and we kept the already cooked potatoes in the fridge for a few days as we made the dough fresh every day. they worked fine all the time so i would think that it translates just as well to a dough made with potatoes keeping overnight.

The recipe uses grated raw potato, which may behave differently to cooked. However the dough may be acid enough to stop the discoloration.

Try using Yukon Gold potatos - they don't discolor even when raw

Thanks Folks! That's just what I needed.

Jackal, I was surprised by the addition of raw rather than cooked potatoes. How does it affect the final product? Different from cooked? No difference?

I've decided to take the process through a three-day process only because I realized I won't have time to bake today. So depending on how it goes, I'll report back later with pics.

• 1 year later...

Big news. Dan Lepard is officialy my new favourite person in the world and as I suppose (hope) I'm not the only one to feel that way, I created this topic so we could rave about how wonderful his breads are.

So far I've only made:

- simple white bread (sometimes with twists)

- focaccia (serious thing guys)

- English muffins

However, I can't wait to try ALL his recipes as they just seem to work perfectly for me.

Here is some eye-candy, hoping that will get you to tell me more about the recipes you've already tried.

gallery_48830_4010_139017.png

gallery_48830_4010_168493.jpg

gallery_48830_4010_176272.png

gallery_48830_4010_28300.jpg

fanny loves foodbeam

pâtisserie & sweetness

I am a HUGE fan of Dan Lepard and have had great success with his bread recipes. He also seems a very modest and very helpful person from the virtual contact I have had with him. I was lucky enough to get a copy of the booklet that was published in the UK (with a newspaper) last November containing Dan's recipes.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I am a HUGE fan of Dan Lepard and have had great success with his bread recipes.  He also seems a very modest and very helpful person from the virtual contact I have had with him.  I was lucky enough to get a copy of the booklet that was published in the UK (with a newspaper) last November containing Dan's recipes.

Oh yes, he's just the nicest person and I was also lucky enough to get the booklet (the muffins are actually from it).

fanny loves foodbeam

pâtisserie & sweetness

Add me to the Fan List. Everything Dan Lepard I've made (quite a long list!) has turned out great. I can attest that he's as approachable in real life as he is online.

Oh please tell me more about the recipes you've tried. Which ones? Pretty pretty please!

fanny loves foodbeam

pâtisserie & sweetness

Gosh...I'm too sleepy right now to make a list. But you may recognise his breads amongst the other breads in my gallery. (don't mean to spam...it's one a.m. here and time for shut-eye) I especially love his apple oat bread and his cheesesticks.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Gosh...I'm too sleepy right now to make a list. But you may recognise his breads amongst the other breads in my gallery. (don't mean to spam...it's one a.m. here and time for shut-eye) I especially love his apple oat bread and his cheesesticks.

Funnily enough I was already checking your pictures when you replied. Thanks (and good night) xxx

fanny loves foodbeam

pâtisserie & sweetness

My favourite carrot cake recipe comes from Dan Lepard's book titled 'Baking with Passion'.  This always gets really good comments from everyone that has some and the recipe has always worked perfectly.

I'll make sure to check his carrot cake recipe.

fanny loves foodbeam

pâtisserie & sweetness

....  I was lucky enough to get a copy of the booklet that was published in the UK (with a newspaper) last November containing Dan's recipes.

Maybe worth mentionings for Dan's fans outside the UK that The Guardian (UK national newspaper) publishes a short column and recipe from him each week.

Usefully for those unable to get The Guardian easily, :smile: these are republished on Dan's website

http://www.danlepard.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

BUT a recipe that I particularly like are the Knotted Rolls (AFAIK only) listed on the Guardian Blog page. (But its easier - and IMHO preferable - to dress them *after* knotting! And they make really good plain rolls, if you don't fancy the knotting...)

This page (for now at least) has the recipe and a video of Dan demonstrating it...

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/food/2007/11/b..._oat_and_h.html

LATE ADDED: Also on Dan's site he logs corrections for any typos identified in his books. Which is useful for all readers!

Edited by dougal (log)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan