• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weekly Food Cost in Japan

The cost of living here in California is kind of high compared to most of the rest of the US, and the SF area higher still, but nowhere near as high as Japan. I spend roughly $600/month on food for a family of 6 (me, husband, kids ages 8,6,3 and 2 months) and that includes specialty foods for my oldest son and my daughter. Fruit and veggies are relatively cheap here when in season because we're so close to where it's grown.

You have a 2 month old? Congratulations!! :biggrin:

I buy my rice at Costco, they sell a wonderful Chiba grown rice at 3,000 (it varies each time from 2,900 to 3,100) for 10kg. $25 for almost 25lbs

The supermarket prices are much higher and often the rice isn't as good.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

You have a 2 month old? Congratulations!! :biggrin:

I buy my rice at Costco, they sell a wonderful Chiba grown rice at 3,000 (it varies each time from 2,900 to 3,100) for 10kg. $25 for almost 25lbs

The supermarket prices are much higher and often the rice isn't as good.

Thanks!

Here's a link to a picture of the horde... the littlest guy is Ryan, who is in the lap of Jason (my oldest), my daughter is Allison and my middle son is Joey

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/str...ax3/thekids.jpg

I gave up buying rice at the grocery stores here a while ago. Not much of a selection, and what they do have costs a lot more. I can get a 25 lb bag of Nishiki at the Asian market for $14... a 10 lb bag at the grocery store is $11.

Cheryl

The cost of living here in California is kind of high compared to most of the rest of the US, and the SF area higher still, but nowhere near as high as Japan.

Coming from the San Franciso Bay Area to Japan there has not really been much change in how much I spend on food. Some things are more expensive here and others are cheaper, but I definitely agree that the SF bay area is in general pretty expensive. Despite the fact that it was expensive I really miss spending most of my pay check (and most of my day off) at Berkeley Bowl.

I have had to adapt my shopping habits in Japan, I have to go to many more stores to get what I need because they often specialize in one thing. Today I have to go to the meat store, the vegetable store, the croquette stand, the wakame stand, and the liquor store for example. But I'm learning... Now if I could only find a jalapeno..

Now if I could only find a jalapeno..

Ikari sometimes has them, as does the little foreign food store at Hankyu Umeda Station. I've also found them at CicoMart, which is small but I think a chain.

To bring this back on topic, because it's the end of the year (fiscal/school), sobetsukais (farewell parties) have put my food spending for the month over the top! It's only the middle of the month and I've spent a bit over Y45 000!! About Y20 000 of that is for three different farewell parties (one at Y8 000, one at Y6000, and the last was just over Y5000).

End of the year...not always a good thing!

FWIW, those teishoku prices are for central Tokyo (Chuo Line, Koenji), so very high density and many students in my particular area. There were also quite a few "set menu" options in the 500-700 yen range when you include ramen and hamburg shops.

How long ago was it?

2001. But it doesn't matter, because a Google search shows that most of my old haunts are still alive and kicking, selling teishoku well under 700 yen. The info below is specific to Koenji, but the prices are indicative of neighbouring areas on the Chuo line (Nakano, Asagawa, etc.). Also, Hiroyuki's data shows that average food costs went down from 1998 to 2003.

Koenji--Fujikawa Shokudo (teishoku starting at under 400 yen) 2006 link

Koenji--New-Burg (hamburg teishoku starting at 400 yen) 2006 link

Baker of "impaired" cakes...