• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Finally: Square bagels! Thomas meets a real need!

Gifted Gourmet

Thomas' products

article here

The bagels are square, a little larger, and a little flatter than regular bagels - sort of like sandwich bread, only a bagel. I don't like to toast my bagels when I use them for a sandwich

I am about to toast one and use real butter on it .. today only ... :laugh:

Anyone else trying these yet?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

gallery_10011_1589_13967.jpg

My square bagel weighed in at a whopping 310 calories without the butter .. it was, I must admit, a lot of bagel ... soft inside, this one was their "everything" flavor ... some seeds and good taste but not exceptional ... basically, I am stuffed. :huh:

I think they grow them in glass jars, like the Bonsai kittens [note, this is a hoax, folks].

However, as SuziSushi notes, real bagels are chewy, not soft. Also, unlike the photo, they have a thin, shiny, hard crust.

These Not Bagel Shaped Objects (NBSOs) undoubtedly get their cottony texture from a big dose of sugar. The only proper amount of sugar in a real bagel is ZERO.

Finally, why square? Round ones fit just as easily into a toaster.

NBSOs are too big, too soft and tooth-achingly sweet. Send them to the gallery of unremembered, unlamented lousy products.

Feh! It probably is good in a community where you can't buy REAL bagels, but--- it's like having PopTarts and calling them Danish pastries.

hvr

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

'Squagels', I tell you!

My sentiments exactly.

Così Squagels are basically thick pieces of Così bread. And these look for all the world like Così Squagels.

But FWIW, Così bread is what I imagine matzoh would taste like if you were allowed to add yeast to the dough.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Così bread is what I imagine matzoh would taste like if you were allowed to add yeast to the dough.

Speaking of square bagels, wasn't the original bread of the Jews in Egypt under Pharaoh square as well? :rolleyes:

Well...it's not for me

My first reaction was that the problem isn't so much that they're square, it's that they're Thomas'. Then I reconsidered- it's also that they're square...

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Reasonable people can disagree when it comes to Montreal or NY bagels being best. Everyone can agree that the spongy single-serve bread with a hole in the middle sold at grocery stores everywhere are not only awful but that they are in fact not bagels at all. Making them square just brings these non-bagels one step closer to the boring sandwich bread that they already taste like.

Reasonable people can disagree when it comes to Montreal or NY bagels being best.  Everyone can agree that the spongy single-serve bread with a hole in the middle sold at grocery stores everywhere are not only awful but that they are in fact not bagels at all.  Making them square just brings these non-bagels one step closer to the boring sandwich bread that they already taste like.

Amen.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Così bread is what I imagine matzoh would taste like if you were allowed to add yeast to the dough.

Speaking of square bagels, wasn't the original bread of the Jews in Egypt under Pharaoh square as well? :rolleyes:

Actually, no. If you get Schmura glatt kosher matzoh, it's round.

Tastes like matzoh, but it's round.

(At least it ought to taste like chicken....)

hvr

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

If you get Schmura glatt kosher matzoh, it's round.

Tastes like matzoh, but it's round.

I have often had shmura matzoh at seders and it tastes exactly like burned cardboard ... a note here:

Shmura is a special hand-made, round-shaped Matzah, that in my opinion, tastes way better than the regular matzah you get at the grocery store. Shmura comes from a Hebrew word meaning "to watch or to guard" indicating that the entire process of making the matzah is carefully supervised by a rabbi from the moment the grain is harvested until the finished matzahs are packaged.
source of this information

more on these ...

The only proper amount of sugar in a real bagel is ZERO.

Not so. Classic bagel recipes call for a form of sugar, malt syrup, in the boiling water, and sometimes for a small amount in the dough as well. The syrup in the water helps create the thin glossy sheen so admired in a properly made water bagel.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report