• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef Sean Brock Returning to South Carolina

Richard Kilgore

The tennessean.com reports that eGullet Society member Chef Sean Brock will leave the Hermitage Hotel for McGrady's Restaurant in Charleston in two months.

The move is somewhat surprising, since Brock was given tremendous freedom, and an equally tremendous budget, to pursue his experiments in culinary constructivism involving liquid nitrogen and protein binders such as transglutaminase. Carrying on the work of Spanish food-chemistry genius Ferran Adrià, Brock's curiosity and creativity garnered national attention for the young chef, who is still three years shy of his 30th birthday.

The distance is exactly 265 miles which I have driven in 5-6 hours, weather permitting ... I am equally anxious to sample Chef Brock's cuisine at his new location.

Coming from you, Chef Blais, this is some compliment on a fellow chef's abilities! Thanks for your input here today!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Stop in Greenville and pick me up on your way down to Charleston......

Sean Brock is the man. I can't wait to check out his new gig. Now how far is the car trip from Atlanta to Charleston ?

best wishes...

John Malik

Chef/Owner

33 Liberty Restaurant

Greenville, SC

www.33liberty.com

Customer at the carving station: "Pardon me but is that roast beef rare?"

Apprentice Cook Malik: "No sir! There's plenty more in the kitchen!"

sounds like I'm ready for a trip to Charleston (90 minutes)!

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

Stop in Greenville and pick me up on your way down to Charleston......
Sean Brock is the man. I can't wait to check out his new gig. Now how far is the car trip from Atlanta to Charleston ?

best wishes...

can I sit in the back seat, listen, and take notes? Please! I promise to be good.

":^)

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We're looking forward to sean coming back to charleston, McCrady's is a great restaurant and having someone of such talent here will be great for the whole city..

-------------------------------------------------------------------

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...