• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arbutus - opening soon in Soho

I've only had a brief look through it but it does contain interpretations of recipes from the restaurant and has some nice ideas using more affordable cuts which is in keeping with the style of the restaurants.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Has anyone seen their recently released cookbook,

does anyone recognise the recipes from the restaurant?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Todays-Special-Ant...24850112&sr=1-1

I noticed the cook book in the window of Wild Honey and then saw that the menu was annotated to show which dishes were featured in the book. I assume this will continue.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a copy of the book now (I paid for it through Amazon before anybody asks) and there are lots of recipes from the restaurant, I'm not sure whether all of them have appeared on the menu at one pont or another.

Whilst I haven't actually cooked form the book it has plenty of easily prepared dishes that are in keeping with the style of the restaurant and would provide some nice dinner party dishes, there is a good selection of vegetable dishes and salads (something I think Anthony does very well) and favourite desserts such as the Illes Flottante and Cheesecake are also there.

A good counterpoint to the Fat Duck cookbook recently released!

Today's Special

Despite the obvious grief I'm going to get from people like Andy :raz: I'll let you know about a lovely meal I had here with friends last week. It was the first time I had been in months, well 2 anyway.

We were comped the Warm cod brandade with chiperones, parsley and toasted sourdough while we tried to decide what to eat. A nice way to start, lots of garlicky creamy fishiness going on, we treated it like a glorious rich dip but it would have been a fine starter.

To start properly (actually I had already eaten enough of the brandade for two starters) I had slow cooked Norfolk Hare served with soft polenta, pecorino and chestnuts. A beautiful dish, the sauce made with blood though not as strong as the Lievre Royal they used to serve at Putney Bridge I thought this was great winter food. The polenta was well seasoned with the pecorino. Overall a great dish, I'm surprised this isn't served as a main course.

The other 3 had pappadelle pasta with a pork shoulder ragout which was met with universal approval.

For a main course I had the special of the day which was a Roast shoulder of pork which was decent enough but the accompanying braised Endive and Sharon fruit elevated the dish, an. interesting combo with a pleasant sweet and bitter elements.

Two of the party had the Bavette of Scottish beef, caramelised salsify and a large dish of Dauphinoise which Rachel gleefully finished off after polishing off her Roast Cod served with crispy boned chicken wings, and wild mushrooms. Unfortunately I didn't get around to trying either dish.

Now in a "shock horror" move I'm going to say that my dessert wasn't up to its usual high standard :shock: , I had a treacle tart that was a touch too sweet, I know its meant to be sweet but it was a little too much and the texture was a little too light for my liking, I would have preferred something a little stickier, a minor quibble though.

Overall a very good meal in a pleasingly busy restaurant. :smile:

• 3 months later...

Had a fantastic meal in Arbutus last Friday. There was three of us for dinner, so got to taste a good selection of dishes.

I had hare shoulders to start, which was a hugely successful dish, intense rich gamey flavors, absolutely delicious, followed by lamb "hot pot" with sweet breads. Wonderful depth of flavour with the hot pot, and the sweet breads lent an interesting textural quality to the dish, really good.

My partner Mary went for the duck hearts to start which were very nicely cooked, however I felt the black pudding that accompanied overpowered the delicate hearts. Rabbit to follow with was a pan seared saddle, served with a shoulder "cottage pie" was stunning.

Our dining guest (Marys sister Teresa) had the soup (sorry wasn't taking notes can't remember exactly what it was, some sort of potato I think) was fine, served with a perfectly poached egg, and roast cod, with boneless chicken wings, beautiful dish...

Desert was the cheese selection which was fine, and an enormous tarte tatin shared between two, (however which could have fed six)... while it was superb, the scale of it was ridiculous and I felt we should have been forewarned by our waiter.

Exceptional cooking and exciting use of unusal ingredients led to a hugely enjoyable evening, the only quibble being the service... It's not bad, just not as attentive as you come to expect from Michelin starred restaurant.

Edited by Stephen_K (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent meal here last night, I got to try a few things inculding excellent sweetbreads with pinenuts and raisins, I didn't notice this on the menu so I'm not sure if it is going to be available soon, if not it should be. Country Style terrine was very good, good texture and a suitable temperature. Nice fruit chutney and toast alongside. The smoked eel with horseradish was as good as ever.

I was intrigued to note a risotto of smoked eel and horseradish cream on the pre/post theatre menu which is excellent value at £17.50. Choices yesterday were Market vegetable soup or Pork "porchetta" with pecorino. Followed by The risotto or Lamb breast with Puy lentils. Warm Orange cake or Morbier to follow.

The Caillettes were as good as ever. Star of the show was possibly the Creme caramel though the Custard tart with Orange marmalade looked like it might run it a close second.

Excellent service and not a blip on the food front even with AD down at Wild Honey Alan Christie more than holds his own.

Excellent meal here last night, I got to try a few things inculding excellent sweetbreads with pinenuts and raisins, I didn't notice this on the menu so I'm not sure if it is going to be available soon, if not it should be. Country Style terrine was very good, good texture and a suitable temperature. Nice fruit chutney and toast alongside. The smoked eel with horseradish was as good as ever.

I was intrigued to note a risotto of smoked eel and horseradish cream on the pre/post theatre menu  which is excellent value at £17.50. Choices yesterday were Market vegetable soup or Pork "porchetta" with pecorino. Followed by The risotto or Lamb breast with Puy lentils. Warm Orange cake or Morbier to follow.

The Caillettes were as good as ever. Star of the show was possibly the Creme caramel  though the Custard tart with Orange marmalade looked like it might run it a close second.

Excellent service and not a blip on the food front even with AD down at Wild Honey Alan Christie more than holds his own.

Matthew,you seem to be the man in the know.

Not been to Wild Honey yet, although I did try for an on the day table about a month ago.

How do the two compare? and who is normally in the kitchen at Wild Honey?

Obviously now with Demetre in the kitchen, food will be superb, how has it been recently as the thread is inactive?

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

I was intrigued to note a risotto of smoked eel and horseradish cream on the pre/post theatre menu  which is excellent value at £17.50. Choices yesterday were Market vegetable soup or Pork "porchetta" with pecorino. Followed by The risotto or Lamb breast with Puy lentils. Warm Orange cake or Morbier to follow.

The Caillettes were as good as ever. Star of the show was possibly the Creme caramel  though the Custard tart with Orange marmalade looked like it might run it a close second.

Matthew,you seem to be the man in the know.

Not been to Wild Honey yet, although I did try for an on the day table about a month ago.

How do the two compare? and who is normally in the kitchen at Wild Honey?

Obviously now with Demetre in the kitchen, food will be superb, how has it been recently as the thread is inactive?

Anthony isn't in the kitchen at Wild Honey all the time, Colin is well able to take care of things there. Anthony spends time at both restaurants each week as far as I know. I just happened to hit Arbutus on a night when he wasn't in.

The food is the same in style though the restaurant itself is very different, a lot more club like with its panelled walls and it feels ever so slightly more formal e.g they have a cheese trolley rather than the individual cheeses they have at Arby.

I haven't been for a little while, I'll try and rectify that soon!

• 4 months later...

Had a good pre theatre here a few weeks ago.

Country style pate, which was really rich and lots of depth, with golden raisins soaked in something I think. Others had a chilled veg soup, which was deemed interesting and good.

Salt Cod Brandade, which was beautiful, satisfying and garlicky!!! Others had lamb breast crushed poatoes and veg, which again was liked by eveyone.

A perfect Custard tart.

Endless bread throughout.

Found the servive very polished but extremely helpful and friendly.

I think it came to about 17.00 for the three courses which is really, really good value.

Still like the carafe idea, however always end up drinking more than I should.

Good to see somebody enjoying the pre-theatre, in my mind its one of the best deals in London. Glad to see the Brandade on the menu, the Pates always seem to be very good as well.

Was the chilled soup the carrot and grapefruit that he cooked on Saturday Kitchen recently? (Recipe here). I tried that at Wild honey recently and thought it very good as well as interesting.

Good to see somebody enjoying the pre-theatre, in my mind its one of the best deals in London. Glad to see the Brandade on the menu, the Pates always seem to be very good as well.

Was the chilled soup the carrot and grapefruit that he cooked on Saturday Kitchen recently?  (Recipe here). I tried that at Wild honey recently and thought it very good as well as interesting.

Yes Matthew it is the same soup. I must admit the idea of cold veg soup did not grab me, however after tasting it I was really impressed, one of those dishes that brings an element of surprise.

Set lunch 28/09/2009, £15.50 + service.

Warm salmon salad:

gallery_56017_6763_151786.jpg

I loved the sauce, and the radish especially.

Lamb:

gallery_56017_6763_105109.jpg

The carrots were too salty, but it was a lovely piece of meat.

Had Morbier for dessert. I didn't know what it was, so I went for it to experiment. My friend then looked it up on his berry. I visit London for 3 days after spending the summer in Haute Savoie devouring the best cheese in the world, and accidentally pick the cheese option!

The bread was, as mentioned above, regular, warm, and lovely (and this is after coming off the plane from aforementioned Haute Savoie). The brown bread especially. The service was great, polite, friendly, on time. I love London.

i believe they get their bread from the same bakers that alot of restaurants in london use. petrus used tot use em and i think wareing still does.

i've got to find out where it is so i can get some without having to go via Arbutus although it is worth it.

Maybe you could hang around the entrances in the early morning and identify the bread supplier from its delivery van just like a journalist.....

im there! i could jump in the back of his van and eat some bread on the way back to the bakery. all i need is a ninja outfit, a smoke bomb and a pack of butter.

• 4 weeks later...

I realised I hadn't been to Arbutus in a little while so ran along Friday night to see what was on the menu. Very Good Hare with Polenta and cobnuts, quite a large portion for a starter, a freebie of smoked eel with sweet and sour turnips and USDA bavette with Dauphinoise potatoes.

For Rachel Heritage beetroots with a sheeps ricotta, a freebie of slow cooked pork belly with lentils and The English Rose Veal, excellent quality English veal.

The best dishes were saved for last. Raspberrie meringue pavlova had beautiful Scottish raspberries and very good meringue. Similarly Chocolate fondant came on a feuillatine base with salt caramel ice cream. Beautiful to look at and eat, 2 star desserts

Now if only they would start serving cassoulet.....

• 2 weeks later...

If you've not been before I would say that you should choose from the the Rabbit, the pigs cheeks, the eel, squid and mackerel burger, the shoulder of hare and if they are on the menu the Cailletes (thats not really made it any easier for you has it :laugh: ).

As all the wines are available by the carafe you can sample a multitude of wines. A couple of weeks ago there was a good Chianti Classico (I forget the producer), the Prats Symington Post Scriptum is a good choice but take some advice, there is always something new and interesting on there to try.