• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arbutus - opening soon in Soho

I think its worth retrying that Squid and Mackeral burger for those that didn't enjoy it first time around. Its now been rejigged and comes minus the barbeque sauce with sea purslane, and chiperones. It had a better feel to the dish IMO, more in keeping with the style of the restaurant.

Snails with laguiole "farinette" was also very good, worth trying for the farinette alone.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

...... the main of gurnard in saffron broth with (unadvertised) cockles was very good though....

When was this? If I didn't know him better I'd be thinking that he was ripping of my own dishes. Sea bass with Saffron potatoes and fennel © Matthew Grant 3rd February 2007 :laugh:

gallery_895_976_119338.jpg

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

Whats the dress code like there?  Is it quite smart?  Was considering booking before a night out but we'd be dressed pretty casually!

No - casual is fine you are in soho afterall, i went in jeans and was fine and definitely not underdressed at all.

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Wow! May! thats not long to go, i agree though that london needs more restaurants like arbutus, it sounds like they have a very exciting future - Matthews a bit slow of the mark isn't he.... :wink:

Isn't the Drones site kinda jinxed?

I was just thinking about this restaurant recently. I used to love their cheese souffle (years ago!!!). Very plain and last century I know, but I'd love to see it on menus again.

Isn't the Drones site kinda jinxed?

I was just thinking about this restaurant recently. I used to love their cheese souffle (years ago!!!). Very plain and last century I know, but I'd love to see it on menus again.

The souffle suisse at the Wolseley is one of the best things about it.

Wow! May! thats not long to go, i agree though that london needs more restaurants like arbutus, it sounds like they have a very exciting future - Matthews a bit slow of the mark isn't he.... :wink:

See hint here

I was sworn to secrecy :rolleyes: However, I can tell you that it isn't likely to be open until June. Still waiting to hear what the name is, they've discarded the first idea.

Does anyone else think London could support several restaurants like Arbutus? I think it could survive very well in some suburbs as well as central London. If only he wuold come to Croydon :sad:

See hint here

I was sworn to secrecy :rolleyes: However, I can tell you that it isn't likely to be open until June. Still waiting to hear what the name is, they've discarded the first idea.

Does anyone else think London could support several restaurants like Arbutus? I think it could survive very well in some suburbs as well as central London. If only he wuold come to Croydon :sad:

Yes, i saw the hint, i also called you a tease for refusing to reveal more....

I definitely think London could support more arbutus' (arbutii?) I for one would LOVE one in Notting hill and there are areas outside london like St albans or Limpsfield (only joking chefsimon. :wink: .) that are positively crying out for them, long may they reign...

I remember an article in one of Steingarten's books where he talked of Michelin starred chefs in Paris giving up the pomp to run more simple bistro-type restaurants.

Over on the New York pages there's a thread with a reasonably similar theme.

Are Arbutus and other places like Galvin at the forefront of a similar trend over here? I really hope so. Does the fact that Arbutus won a star indicate that Michelin have also picked up on this?

Now that is just showing off!!

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

See hint here

No. 17 times no.

Edited by Scott (log)

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

See hint here

No. 17 times no.

Any particular reason why? :wacko:

Still waiting to hear what the name is, they've discarded the first idea.

How about Anomalanthus, or maybe Anthopteropsis - keeping it in the Ericaceae

family.

Madrones (the North American genus of the arbutus) is a nice name, although it would probably create confusion with some place in Belgravia.

As to the "can London support Arbuti", I'd say that the answer is: "possibly". Its great advantage is it's a top-class local restaurant that just happens to be in the centre of town. Another one would thrive somewhere like Covent Garden or Green Park. But if its offspring appear in one of the affluent patches of Zone 2, it'll be competing with other solid local restaurants (think Vascherin, Ma Cuisine, Abingdon Road, etc. etc. etc.) and would therefore lose some of the USP.

I've got a feeling that Madrones may be the name they discarded, a few weeks ago, Anthony was telling me about the new property but didn't want to say anything about it until they had exchanged, he nearly told me what they were going to call it but backed off after deciding that it would give away the new destination. :biggrin:

As to the "can London support Arbuti", I'd say that the answer is: "possibly". Its great advantage is it's a top-class local restaurant that just happens to be in the centre of town. Another one would thrive somewhere like Covent Garden or Green Park. But if its offspring appear in one of the affluent patches of Zone 2, it'll be competing with other solid local restaurants (think Vascherin, Ma Cuisine, Abingdon Road, etc. etc. etc.) and would therefore lose some of the USP.

But once you get beyond zones 2 and 3 the world could be their oyster (that should not be taken to infer that they have even thought of the idea).

But once you get beyond zones 2 and 3 the world could be their oyster (that should not be taken to infer that they have even thought of the idea).

Yes, I'm sure they're crying out for modish French bistro food in Walthamstow, Snaresbrook and Daggenham Heathway.

I certainly hope they've not thought of attempting to bring quality in a polo-shirt hellpit like Richmond, or are going to make some ill-advised attempt to reinvent the country house.

It'd be much more sensible to buy somewhere within 15 minutes walking distance of the wheel, do a similar menu at an identical price point and call it Tupello, or Laburnum, or Persimmon, or whatever. I'm sure it'd be ... er ... poplar *.

(* Sorry.)

Yes, I'm sure they're crying out for modish French bistro food in Walthamstow, Snaresbrook and Daggenham Heathway.

how about somewhere overlooking the river? Couldn't fail.

Is there a River Dag?