• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arbutus - opening soon in Soho

For 2 courses without service or any liquid refreshment, I would say yes - most mains now £15-£18 I would guess, and most starters £7 or £8

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

• 3 weeks later...

Anthony and Will were turning a whiter shade of pale with nerves as actor Jimmy Mistry climbed on stage at Roast last night to annouce the Time Out Eating and Drinking Award for best new restaurant.

"It'll be bar Shu," said Anthony

"I agree," I replied. "Definately Bar Shu."

Will leaned into towards Anthony and said, "Hold on, Jimmy Mistry was in for lunch with his mother today".

Eyebrows were raised, knowing looks exchanged.

On stage, Jimmy Mistry opened the golden envelope containing the name of the winner. "Ah, I've been to this restaurant, I took my mother there for lunch..."

Edited by Andy Lynes (log)

Did they know you were hiding under their table, Andy, or was it - erm - a pre-arranged thing? :biggrin:

Edited by MobyP (log)

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Anthony and Will were turning a whiter shade of pale with nerves as actor Jimmy Mistry climbed on stage at Roast last night to annouce the Time Out Eating and Drinking Award for best new restaurant.

Also:

It’s rare to find such a quality operation in London where a three-course meal with wine can cost under £40

... and even rarer when it used to cost under £30.

Still, it's amazing what can be achieved with dodgy lighting and chicken armpits these days.

• 2 months later...

<fluff>

I went for lunch to Arbutus yesterday and it does seem to be settling down very nicely. I managed to book a 1.00pm table last Friday, so wondered if only eGulleteers ever went, but in the event the place filled up - there were only places left at the bar arrangement.

It has a very good buzz - they have managed to make it fashionably bare without being so echoey that you can't hear your companions. There's also a very eclectic mix of customers, so anyone who likes meat could feel at home, and it's great for people watching.

The portions are pretty big so we only managed starters of 'porchetta' and smoked eel, both following with the rabbit. It was all excellent gutsy food: tasted superb, and looks good without being over the top. I would return for the rabbit dish again and again! I'd then leave room for a pudding. I also love the carafe idea - more restaurants should follow suit - though I did then drink more than I normally do at lunch...

My only quibbles were that we asked for tap water - which didn't arrive until we had reminded them three times, including (time #2) the man in glasses who runs it, and the table did wobble, almost tipping over our carafe of red.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any particular recommendations from the wine list? I'm finally getting around to visiting Arbutus for what will hopefully be a boozy lunch tomorrow, and it seems like an ideal opportunity to be a little more adventurous with the wine list.

It changes pretty regularly, Will is always happy to help, the beauty being that you can order a carafe and if you aren't satisfied swiftly move onto something else - exactly what I plan to do later this week :smile:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

• 1 month later...
My honest initial impression is that this is probably the most accomplished cooking in London at this price point and based on current London Michelin star standards is a contender to become the cheapest Michelin starred restaurant in London.

Ahem.... :biggrin:

Well that would depend on how little you ordered wouldn't it?

Hardens' reports an average at Yauatcha of £50 compared to £36 at Arbutus (meal for one including half bottle of wine), Squaremeal reports an average for food of £35 + £16 for wine at Yauatcha compared to £35 at Arbutus + £12.50 for wine.

Timeout lists the set dinner as £19 - £26 compared to £13.50 - £15.00 at Arbutus.

Well that would depend on how little you ordered wouldn't it?

Hardens' reports an average at Yauatcha of £50 compared to £36 at Arbutus (meal for one including half bottle of wine), Squaremeal reports an average for food of £35 + £16 for wine at Yauatcha compared to £35 at Arbutus + £12.50 for wine.

Timeout lists the set dinner as £19 - £26 compared to £13.50 - £15.00 at Arbutus.

regardless of what the guides say, I would find it hard to imagine how you could run up a bill of £50 at Yauatcha, unless you went for some of the premium dishes and raided the wine list - and I'm hardly a man of small appetites. I can think of no other michelin starred joint in London where you could eat properly - four plates dim sum each, say - and come out with a bill of £50 for two. More to the point, this is what I've done on a number of occasions.

Then again maybe I've not been trying hard enough

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Had an exceptional time at Arbutus. Noticed that the maître d' at the Ledbury has moved to Arbutus as waitress? funny we remembered each other due to a funny bleach smell incident at the Ledbury last year.

We initially were concerned about quality of carafes but the owner ensured us he would replace if not fresh - indeed he did because the barolo was opened for too long. We got over excited about the carafes and ended up trying 9 different wines. You must try the roussillon white wine.

You don't save money by drinking carafes, you get value for money because you get to taste many :-) I love the whole concept.

The food was faultless. Best dishes were braised pigs head, rabbit and lamb.

Also tried all the cheeses, treacle tart and warm choc soup -- all recommended.

Tables wobbled a fair bit even with help. The lounge seaters are not comfortable, it makes you sink low and back, so you need to sit on the edge where it is firmer. Previous posts mentioned bread plates? who cares :-)

Edited by Trucie (log)

• 4 weeks later...
There were so many staff working in Arbutus tonight that you might think they were training people to open a new restaurant!

You are such a tease.... :wink:

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

I had a disappointing dish there the other day - terrine that had been pulverised - it was more like liver sausage in texture and was also under-seasoned - the main of gurnard in saffron broth with (unadvertised) cockles was very good though and the rhubarb jelly with vanilla ice cream was sensational. This was all on the pre-dinner menu. They are a bit mean with the bread basket though.

The problem is that it's such good value I don't want to go anywhere else. Even when it's on expenses, I want to see how they can manage to produce food of such good quality at such prices in London. I also love the style of cooking, and the carafe business.

Edited by PoppySeedBagel (log)