• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arbutus - opening soon in Soho

Some of you will know that I am friends with Anthony Demetre and William Smith so I think I'm probably allowed to say that following the report in the Caterer a couple of days ago Anthony and Will have completed a deal and will be opening their new restaurant called Arbutus in Frith Street on the site of Tartufo. Anthony previously worked at the same site with Bruno Loubet there when it was Bistro Bruno before working at L'Odeon where he and William met before opening Putney Bridge where they were awarded a Michelin star.

The new site is already being gutted and they will start from scratch. From what I understand the food will be different to their previous venture, it will be French but I hazard a guess that Anthony may try and add a few modern touches. They are also determined to keep prices reasonable, around £25 - £30 per person plus drinks in the evenings.

Of course I am a little biased but I look forward to this a great deal. More news when I get it! :smile:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Does the broadleaf evergreen (also called madrone or madrone) for which this restaurant is named occur in the UK, or is it a reference to elsewhere?

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

• 1 month later...

Arbutus will be opening for business on 15th May with a 50% discount for the first few days. I've seen some drafts of the menus and a 50% discount will be a good deal, you may even get a chance to eat the rabbit cottage pie that I liked from Putney Bridge.

I'm hoping to be able to post some more examples from the menu in the next couple of days :smile:

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Arbutus now has a telephone number : 0207 734 4545 and I believe they will be taking reservations from Monday. I've still not got menu details at the moment but they will be running 50% off from Monday 15th May until Thursday 19th May inclusive as an introductory offer. After that it will be full price but Anthony and Will are keen to keep prices competitive. All 60 bottles of wine on the list will be available in 250ml carafes which will give people the chance to sample some wines they may not have considered before. House champagne will be £6.50 a glass, Espressos or Macchiato's will be £1.75 and long coffees (latte, cappuccino etc) will be £2.00 - an excellent effort in my opinion.

There is also a website which doesn't appear to be open at the moment but it will allow you to make online reservations as well:

Arbutus Restaurant

Really looking forward to this. I know Anthony and William are planning on delivering a totally different product from Putney Bridge. This could potentially be a really exciting addition to the London scene.

I'm attending often enough in the first week that they will probably have a commemorative plaque erected next to my table :biggrin:

Why would you do this?

I enjoy going to new restaurants, and if they are good, I like to make return trips over a period of months and years to see how it evolves.

Mainly because I'm in town 3 times that week to meet friends who are looking for somewhere reasonably priced to eat so this fits the bill.

Otherwise I agree with you, I wouldn't normally go to a place in the first week let alone 3 times. I'm curious to see how good it is in the first week, I fully expect them to hit the groung running and if it does the food will be a bargain at 50% off.

Due to my being an idiot the introductory offer runs from Monday 15th May until Friday 19th May inclusive (not Thursday 19th May as previously stated).

Due to my being an idiot the introductory offer runs from Monday 15th May until Friday 19th May inclusive (not Thursday 19th May as previously stated).

The answer phone message says offer runs to Thursday 18th May.

Very confusing, take the answerphone message as Gospel and ignore me. :wacko:

Edit to add: Just spoke to Anthony, he misinformed me :rolleyes: Hoping to get the menu soon. Prices will be low though, starting at £5 for starters, £10.50 for main courses.

This is the menu with the full prices, very competitively priced IMO. Quite a large menu but at least it gives me plenty to work my way through. A few remnants from the menu at Putney Bridge as well and even a couple of dishes for the offal lovers among you.

ARBUTUS

Soupe au pistou with Provençal olive oil 5.50

Warm cod brandade, young squid, sea purslane, parsley cromesqui 6.95

Crisp braised pigs head, potato purée, caramelized onion and garlic 5.00

Chicken sot-l'y-laisse (oysters), macaroni, broad beans, lemon thyme and hazelnuts 6.50

Slow cooked shoulder of lamb 'boulangère', lamb sweetbreads, spiced dates, radish leaves 7.50

Squid and mackerel burger 'a la plancha', barbecue sauce, vine cherry tomatoes 9.50

Salad of Jersey Royals, watercress, spring onions and goats curd 7.50

Smoked eel, pressed beetroot, horseradish cream, young leaves 10.50

English asparagus, soft boiled egg, vinaigrette, Parmesan 7.95

•••••

Salt beef 'pot au feu', spring vegetables, green sauce 13.50

Pied et pacquets (tripe parcels and trotters), soufflé potatoes 10.50

Roast Hereford beef rib, fat chips, shallot sauce (for 2 persons) TBC

Roast rabbit, shoulder cottage pie, Hispi cabbage, mustard sauce 13.95

Breast of veal lacquered with spices, butternut squash, cavolo nero 14.00

Poached and roasted chicken, tarragon gnocchi, garlic leaves, lemon and bacon 12.50

Elwy valley rump of lamb, tortellini of goats cheese, artichokes, tomato, Taggiascha olives 14.50

Fillet of pollack, spring greens, slow roasted onions, anchovy and rosemary 13.50

Sea bream, risotto of sea lettuce and cockles, light juice 12.00

Young Dover sole, field mushrooms 14.50 TBC

Puff pastry pithivier 13.00

•••••

Floating island with pink praline, custard 4.50

Vanilla crème brûlée, Breton biscuits, langue de chat 5.00

Classic cheesecake with strawberries, strawberry caramel 5.00

Warm chocolate soup, caramelized brioche, pecan nuts 5.00

Alphonso mango, empress rice, sorbet 6.00

Selection of ice cream and sorbets 4.50

Seasonal cheese served with a small salad 2.50 (per cheese)

Also - Lunch (daily) and Pre-Theatre (5pm-7pm Monday-Saturday)

3 courses £15.50

(Sample Menu)

Poached hen’s egg, lentils, shallots and parsley salad

Leeks vinaigrette

Slow-cooked belly of pork with crushed potatoes

Fillet of sea bass with Provençal garnish

Chocolate tart

Seasonal cheese with salad

DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I'm already booked in for Wednesday night. Now I can spend my days before then trying to decide what I'm going to have and then changing my mind ever 5 minutes thereafter.

Looking forward to it!

Most definitely not, I actually feel guilty going along on the discount days, it feels like I'm robbing them :laugh:

Now we know why you're going three times in a row - cramming 6 months worth of Arbutus visits in to one week so you can get them on the cheap!