• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DonQ

wineguy

Has anyone heard of the rum Don Q. I drank this rum while I was in Ecuador and have never seen it since I got back to Canada. I think it was from Puerto Rico and produced in Volume, as we would buy the size that required a handle. But this was one smooth rum, and considering that per volume, coke was more expensive than rum, we grew quite fond of it.

Jay

Its an extremely popular rum in the US. Not a particularly premium rum however.

Not sure where you are in Canada though, but you have the benefit of being able to get Havana Club whereas in the US we cannot.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

.... considering that per volume, coke was more expensive than rum, we grew quite fond of it.

Next time, try an Ecuadorian made rum for an even better value, especially if you're going to mix it. Try Ron San Miguel (Silver, Gold, 5-year or 7-year).

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

.... considering that per volume, coke was more expensive than rum, we grew quite fond of it.

Next time, try an Ecuadorian made rum for an even better value, especially if you're going to mix it. Try Ron San Miguel (Silver, Gold, 5-year or 7-year).

Bigbear: At least in Ontario, good rums are hard to come by. The LCBO outlets only have what they have at any particular time, you can't special order.

The do occasionally get in some interesting stuff, however. I found a really nice aged Dillon in their "Vintages" specialty store inside the main LCBO in Ottawa.

Havana Club 7 and Appleton Extra appear to be their main premiums.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jason.... I meant for wineguy to try Ron San Miguel the next time he was in Ecuador. I don't even know if they export it. It's at least as good as Don Q, IMHO.

If I remember correctly, the Plata and the Oro were less than $2.00 a liter. That's what I call a value. By the way, the U.S. dollar is the official currency of Ecuador. I'm sorry that I can't review the rums for you because I am just not that discerning. I can say that I haven't gone blind, yet.

Bolivar/Sancho.... Yes, they sell Cuban cigars in Ecuador. Cheaply, judging from the window shopping that I have done. I haven't bought any because I was unsure of being able to identify counterfeits and of what might suit my tastes. I have been doing my research and next time I'll give it a shot.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Jason - thanks for the information, we are lucky enough to get Havana Club here in Alberta, I love it. In fact we just had another dark rum hit the market here, it is stronger in molasses, but apparently supper smooth. When I check it out and get the name I will post my tasting.

Jeff - I would love to get back to Ecuador with an educated palate and see what I could discover, but thanks for the tip, you never now what we might get on this market.

Bolivar - not a brand I am familiar with, we are lucky to get cubans here but I don't know of any decent ones under $30 each cigar. I had a client leave me some Romeo & Juliets recently that I have been enjoying, but I would have to say a good Dominican is still my favorite. A really nice combination I tried was a maduro Arturo Fuente with a Vin Santo one night. If your not familiar with Vin Santo it is an Italian dessert wine that has a beautiful balance of sweetness and earthiness, it is not all sugar. I found it brought a real nuttiness out of the cigar and also eased some of the heat towards the stub.

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Don Q is the Puerto Rican rum drinkers rum. It is light clean tasting rum that mixes well with Coke or juices like orange, grapefruit, or passion. I also drink it with mango juice. Highly distilled like most of the Puerto Rican rums Don Q is easy on the head if you don't mix it with too much sweet stuff. We also drink it with fresh coconut water and a little ice.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.