• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stonehill Tavern

FoodZealot

I respectfully disagree. French 75, atleast in my circle, is at the lowest rung in OC dining. I can mention 5 chain restaurants that are cheaper and are superior. And to whoever recommended French 75 as being OC's best offer to you, I'd suggest you never take food recommendations from him/her again. ;)

For french fine dining, there's Pinot Provence, Studio, Stonehill, and if the egullet recs are reliable then Leatherby Lounge Cafe and Marche Moderne are also on that level. No one is saying OC is the birthplace of Ferran Adria. But, that's a pretty respectable list, definitely NOT a selection to be ashamed of. I think a city that is NOT San Francisco would still kill to have this selection.

Edited by savvysearch (log)

While not a fine dining mecca OC certainly is improving, and attempting to compare a spread out, mostly suburban area like OC to a large city like San Francisco in terms of dining is just unfair, its apples and oranges.

As savy said, those selections are quite reputable and by all accounts highly regarded, Marche Moderne, just got a three star review from the Los Angeles Times, a very respectable score, if I recall correctly Stonehill recieved 4.

I would disagree that French 75 is at the lowest rung of OC dining, I think that is too harsh. I have eaten there on several occasions and found the food simple and delicious, and found the setting very nice. While certainly not mindblowing it was simple french bistro type of food.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Alright, alright. I agree that Orange County isn't all that shabby and the few bright spots we do have are more than most areas. I also agree it certainly isn't fair to compare it to SF or LA, but my rant was aimed at more of the spread of chains and mediocore restaurants that I see on a daily basis. I live in Rancho Santa Margarita and work in Orange/Anaheim and everything is either a chain or some horrible attempt at nouvelle cuisine. Especially in new "master planned communities" like Ladera Ranch (where everything is cookie cutter), it is impossible to find a decent restaurant.

As a side note, Marche Moderne sounds awesome and I would love to try it. I've never even heard of Leatherby Lounge Cafe - where is it?

By the way, no one recommended French 75 to me - I unfortunately went on a whim. Again, I think they have OK food (but still boring) and nice ambiance, but for the price of the food, it was not worth it.

I'm fairly young and I'm still getting my feet wet with food and wine, so I appreciate y'all steering me towards some of the better places in the County - I guess it's not completely hopeless!

Leatherby's is in the new Segerstrom Hall in Costa Mesa. I don't know where I got Leatherby Lounge Cafe, but it's correct name is Leatherby's Cafe Rouge.

I read Virbila's review about Marche Moderne and I'm happy to say she was very enthusiastic with her words calling it "probably the best bistro in Southern California" and "some of the best bistro cooking this side of the capital." I thought Troquet, the previous tenant, had incredible bistro cooking in it's first few years before their eventual downhill slide.

I should specify that the French 75 location I ate at was in Irvine, and not the one in Laguna which I've never tried.

Letherby's Cafe Rouge is clearly a restaurant for theater-goers. On nights without concerts or shows, it's a ghost town in there. I think they have a much quicker "turn and burn" style of service because the vast majority of diners there on busy nights have a deadline with the start of the show. Everybody sits at once, cranks through their meal, and then they're off. It doesn't give one much of a chance to pace their dinner leisurely nor to choose the multi-coursed tasting menu. We dined there on a non-show night and, with the exception of one other table of six, we were the only souls in the restaurant. Staff outnumbered us 3 to 1. They did have a great deal on Krug splits though and I was happy to pay retail price for the best bubbly in the world. Our dinner was good, the food solid, but eating in such deadly silence with no hustle and bustle of a busy restaurant is disconcerting to me on some level. I also felt the restaurant was overly lit and they needed to dim the lights by at least 33%. If the restaurant had a bigger crowd on non-theater nights I would be inclined to go back, but the silence was too deafening on our last trip so I think I’d take a pass on that one.

Florent is definitely doing some great stuff over at Marche Moderne in the former Troquet space at South Coast Plaza (3rd floor in the Nordstrom wing). He was a solid, consistent chef during his long stay at Pinot Provence just a few blocks away, but now that he’s on his own, I think he’s recharged and ready for some innovation again. When we dined, there were definitely some service issues, but nothing unusual or that I didn’t expect considering the restaurant had just opened a couple of weeks earlier. The kinds of things we dealt with (incorrect stems for the Rhone wine we brought, they sold out of several key menu items, an un-bussed table that sat for too long next to us, the bartender was a no-show so we didn’t get cocktails in a timely manner, etc.) can all be excused if they tighten things up over the next few months. The food was fantastic. The highlight was the spot prawn appetizer with black trumpet mushrooms, grilled wild ramps, and a lovely brown sauce presumably made with wine and stock. It was so good I nearly ordered another one immediately after I finished it. My entrée of sweetbreads was an exercise in beautiful excess. To have so many sweetbreads at once reminded me of true bistro eating around France. I should have tried one of the tarts that were streaming out of the wood-fired oven because they looked delicious. Florent sent us a parade of desserts on the house and each was better than the last. My favorite was the strawberries and cream napoleon with strawberry sorbet. It tasted like the best sugary cereal you ever had as a kid. Like an explosion of Kellogg-driven nostalgia. Gorgeous. We’re heading back again to celebrate my sister’s birthday and I’m hoping the smaller stuff will be better ironed out by then. I’m confident they will.

There are a few other notable opening slated for the remainder of 2007 so keep your eyes peeled. I heard Charlie Trotter is coming to South Coast Plaza? Am I crazy? There are a couple of new joints off Bristol in Costa Mesa as well at The Camp and The Lab respectively that should be worth talking about when they drop.

Edited by SiseFromm (log)

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Oh yes, and David Wilhelm's restaurant empire (French 75, Chat Noir, Cafe Rouge, Chimayo) are all decent, but nothing groundbreaking. He's really following a pattern here. He was formerly head of West Coast Productions & West Coast Restaurants, running the catering operation plus Zuni Grill (Irvine), Topaz Café (Bower’s Museum), Kachina (Laguna Beach), Bistro 201 (Irvine then Newport Beach), Shane (Newport Beach), Barbacoa (Newport Beach) and their flagship, Diva (Costa Mesa near South Coast). He was delivering innovative and hip dining for Orange County residents, but nothing that was completely amazing or worthy of 4-star reviews. His new joints have that same sort of feel and I can definitely see Wilhelm’s touch everywhere. I should know, I worked for that organization, ending as the GM for Topaz Café, for 5 years.

One final note. The Arches is finally moving from their PCH location. I think they were there for 75 years or so but the land was sold and they're finally moving. I heard to a new location on the Peninsula around 30th Street but on a recent bike ride, we couldn't figure out where exactly. The new owners of that spot? Tim & Liza Goodell . . . returning to Orange County after selling off the Huntington Beach Red Pearl restaurant to the owners of Bluefin (sushi joint) in Crystal Cove (Newport Beach). Apparently they’re going to let their LA properties roll for awhile while they focus on coming back to Orange County for presumably their triumphant return.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

I should specify that the French 75 location I ate at was in Irvine, and not the one in Laguna which I've never tried.

The French 75 I speak of having enjoyed is the original one in Laguna Beach, i have not been to the one in Irvine, though I ate at the Fashion Island location when it was called Rouge. My guess is that having branched out the restaurant into a mini chaing, the quality of food has subsequently suffered.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

One final note.  The Arches is finally moving from their PCH location.  I think they were there for 75 years or so but the land was sold and they're finally moving.  I heard to a new location on the Peninsula around 30th Street but on a recent bike ride, we couldn't figure out where exactly.  The new owners of that spot?  Tim & Liza Goodell . . . returning to Orange County after selling off the Huntington Beach Red Pearl restaurant to the owners of Bluefin (sushi joint) in Crystal Cove (Newport Beach).  Apparently they’re going to let their LA properties roll for awhile while they focus on coming back to Orange County for presumably their triumphant return.

Jason, great to hear about Marche Modern, I definitely have to get there soon, sounds like a great addition to the OC food scene. As you said, initial service problems can usually be easily rectified in time while the food cannot, doesn't seem to be an issue here as your food seemed excellent.

Interesting info about the Arches/Goodells, etc. I had read a brief blurb about them coming back to town and I find it very interesting. Last week I was speaking with my friend Austin (the chef at Port in CDM) who also worked at Aubregine when it was owned by The Goodell's, he mentioned the new Arches location will be the old Aubregine location in the Cannery Village area of the Peninsula.

I kind of feel like the Goodells return to OC is less than triumphant after having had limited success in LA and returning to their roots after having abandoned Orange County for the bright lights of LA. Maybe I am being a bit harsh here but it will be nice to have some more serious restaurateurs back in the neighborhood. I for one am eagerly anticipating what their new place will be like.

On another note...have you heard anything about what is going on with the old Tutto Mare space in Fashion Island? I heard a rumor this weekend it is going to be a club or bar of some sort..though this might be false given Yard House is going in on the other side near Bloomingdales.

Gossip....gotta love it.

On another note...have you heard anything about what is going on with the old Tutto Mare space in Fashion Island? I heard a rumor this weekend it is going to be a club or bar of some sort..though this might be false given Yard House is going in on the other side near Bloomingdales.

I've been wondering about that space for the last few weeks but I haven't heard any rumors about what is slated to open there. It's prime real estate so I doubt a smaller upstart can pull off a space of that size and in that particular location. I can't imagine Fashion Island rents are cheap these days. If it is a club scenario, maybe the guys from Sutra can step in. They're, despite my best wishes, flourishing at Triangle Square.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

I've been wondering about that space for the last few weeks but I haven't heard any rumors about what is slated to open there. It's prime real estate so I doubt a smaller upstart can pull off a space of that size and in that particular location. I can't imagine Fashion Island rents are cheap these days. If it is a club scenario, maybe the guys from Sutra can step in. They're, despite my best wishes, flourishing at Triangle Square.

I completely agree, with the Irvine Company rents there is no way a private (read: non-chain) restaurant could occupy that space. I have to believe its going to be some high-end chain of sorts (while R & D is next door, Houston's comes to mind), which is unfortunate though not unexpected. Then again...maybe we can convince Ludo Lefebvre to move down to Orange County.... :laugh:

With regards to having a "Sutra-esque" club there...now that is a horrifying thought.

There are a few other notable opening slated for the remainder of 2007 so keep your eyes peeled.  I heard Charlie Trotter is coming to South Coast Plaza?  Am I crazy?  There are a couple of new joints off Bristol in Costa Mesa as well at The Camp and The Lab respectively that should be worth talking about when they drop.

You ARE crazy. Charlie Trotter?! If he snubs LA and SF for OC, I'd say the orange curtain has finally arrived.

I wonder how Leatherby's compares with Patina at the Disney Hall. I'd imagine it's the same type of atmosphere considering downtown LA is a ghost-town for diners.

I kind of feel like the Goodells return to OC is less than triumphant after having had limited success in LA and returning to their roots after having abandoned Orange County for the bright lights of LA.  Maybe I am being a bit harsh here but it will be nice to have some more serious restaurateurs back in the neighborhood.  I for one am eagerly anticipating what their new place will be like

Tim Goodell was a very talented chef, but as far as i know, he doesn't cook anymore which is a shame. Most of their restaurants in LA were scene-y, style over substance Hollywood establishments that were very simlar to those Asthon Kutcher restaurants that are popping up all over LA, the polar opposite of their two OC restaurants. I can't imagine them starting another fine dining establishment in OC. I'd be really excited if he decides to cook again.

You ARE crazy. Charlie Trotter?! If he snubs LA and SF for OC, I'd say the orange curtain has finally arrived.

I wonder how Leatherby's compares with Patina at the Disney Hall. I'd imagine it's the same type of atmosphere considering downtown LA is a ghost-town for diners.

It was Charlie Palmer, not Charlie Trotter. There you have it, I AM crazy.

As for comparing Cafe Route to Patina at Disney . . . I can't really comment with great authority. When we ate at Patina, we were ushered into the "private chef's tasting room" area so I never got a solid look at the dining room and what was happening throughout the night. I imagine though, it draws a similar crowd. Well-dressed theater attendees looking to get in and out with enough time to spare to find their seat and get ready for the evening's show.

Tim Goodell was a very talented chef, but as far as i know, he doesn't cook anymore which is a shame. Most of their restaurants in LA were scene-y, style over substance Hollywood establishments that were very simlar to those Asthon Kutcher restaurants that are popping up all over LA, the polar opposite of their two OC restaurants. I can't imagine them starting another fine dining establishment in OC. I'd be really excited if he decides to cook again.

Tim was a great cook. When he was solely in charge of Aubergine I really felt like he was giving every restaurant in Southern California a serious run for their money. I recall the original Patina, when Joachim was still behind the stove, running at roughly the same pace and I was unable to decide who was really cooking better at that moment. Tim was sharing the cover of Food & Wine as one of the best chefs in the country and I couldn't go to Aubergine enough during the "golden years", which if my memory serves me correct, were 1997 - 1999.

When Tim got funding for several projects at once is when everything spun quickly out of control.

The Lodge was brilliant for a whisper in time. Six months maybe . . . and then the whole thing started falling apart. Service was atrociously slow, half the menu items were unavailable, the bar would run out of alcohol because it was being sent to other Goodell properties, and then the awful club scene started.

I think that was the same time the pastry chef, formerly of Troquet but then heading up all baking operations at Village Bakery, left. That little outpost languished and eventually closed as well.

Red Pearl, during the dark days, was also awful. At first the theme and feel of the restaurant was right. Godzilla and Bruce Lee movies played on the Plasma, hip/alternative waiters offered smart and sophisticated service, and the menu offered a twist on Asian flavors that wasn’t available anywhere else at that time. Then football games replaced well-chosen kitsch films, the service became embarrassing (the bartender told me their signature drink was a mojito . . . at an Asian restaurant?), and the restaurant felt as though it was simply left behind to be neglected.

Meson G had a moment in the sun, but also quickly faded. Strong start followed by, from what I hear, unclear leadership.

I’d love to see Tim stop for a moment and focus good and hard on that new location in Newport Beach. He should get behind the stove, shop at the Irvine farmer’s market on Saturdays and hit the Santa Monica markets the rest of the week, come up with a great, approachable and executable menu, hire a really good GM to run the front, and do something great again. Orange County is still a starved market for good restaurants. All he has to do is remain consistent and offer good service and he’ll have a hit on his hands.

Edited by SiseFromm (log)

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Red Pearl, during the dark days, was also awful.  At first the theme and feel of the restaurant was right.  Godzilla and Bruce Lee movies played on the Plasma, hip/alternative waiters offered smart and sophisticated service, and the menu offered a twist on Asian flavors that wasn’t available anywhere else at that time.  Then football games replaced well-chosen kitsch films, the service became embarrassing (the bartender told me their signature drink was a mojito . . . at an Asian restaurant?), and the restaurant felt as though it was simply left behind to be neglected.

Oh, god.... I ate at Red Pearl a few weeks after they opened with another food critic and we were both appalled! Besides the horrific decor, the food was close to unpalatable. Was it *ever* worthwhile????

It was Charlie Palmer, not Charlie Trotter. There you have it, I AM crazy.

As for comparing Cafe Route to Patina at Disney . . . I can't really comment with great authority. When we ate at Patina, we were ushered into the "private chef's tasting room" area so I never got a solid look at the dining room and what was happening throughout the night. I imagine though, it draws a similar crowd. Well-dressed theater attendees looking to get in and out with enough time to spare to find their seat and get ready for the evening's show.

Tim was a great cook. When he was solely in charge of Aubergine I really felt like he was giving every restaurant in Southern California a serious run for their money. I recall the original Patina, when Joachim was still behind the stove, running at roughly the same pace and I was unable to decide who was really cooking better at that moment. Tim was sharing the cover of Food & Wine as one of the best chefs in the country and I couldn't go to Aubergine enough during the "golden years", which if my memory serves me correct, were 1997 - 1999.

When Tim got funding for several projects at once is when everything spun quickly out of control.

The Lodge was brilliant for a whisper in time. Six months maybe . . . and then the whole thing started falling apart. Service was atrociously slow, half the menu items were unavailable, the bar would run out of alcohol because it was being sent to other Goodell properties, and then the awful club scene started.

I think that was the same time the pastry chef, formerly of Troquet but then heading up all baking operations at Village Bakery, left. That little outpost languished and eventually closed as well.

Red Pearl, during the dark days, was also awful. At first the theme and feel of the restaurant was right. Godzilla and Bruce Lee movies played on the Plasma, hip/alternative waiters offered smart and sophisticated service, and the menu offered a twist on Asian flavors that wasn’t available anywhere else at that time. Then football games replaced well-chosen kitsch films, the service became embarrassing (the bartender told me their signature drink was a mojito . . . at an Asian restaurant?), and the restaurant felt as though it was simply left behind to be neglected.

Meson G had a moment in the sun, but also quickly faded. Strong start followed by, from what I hear, unclear leadership.

I’d love to see Tim stop for a moment and focus good and hard on that new location in Newport Beach. He should get behind the stove, shop at the Irvine farmer’s market on Saturdays and hit the Santa Monica markets the rest of the week, come up with a great, approachable and executable menu, hire a really good GM to run the front, and do something great again. Orange County is still a starved market for good restaurants. All he has to do is remain consistent and offer good service and he’ll have a hit on his hands.

Great post Jason.

Great post Jason.

Thanks for reading. It felt like I was ranting but the Goodell's history with Orange County's contemporary dining scene is something I feel a part of.

Oh, god.... I ate at Red Pearl a few weeks after they opened with another food critic and we were both appalled! Besides the horrific decor, the food was close to unpalatable. Was it *ever* worthwhile????

I believe it was. I don't know if I went as soon as within the first couple of weeks of opening, but some friends of ours lived smack dab in the heart of downtown Huntington Beach so we ended up at Red Pearl at least 1/2 dozen times the first year they were open. I remember thinking the waiters were attractive but not completely vapid, and that the food was fun and fresh. I can't really recall any signature type dishes, but I remember pork belly which wasn't as ubiquitous as it is today. It was obviously never a major contender of 4-start type of restaurant, but I think they had their moment, just as The Lodge did in neighboring Costa Mesa.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

We probably should move this discussion to a general OC dining scene thread.

Great post Jason.

Thanks for reading. It felt like I was ranting but the Goodell's history with Orange County's contemporary dining scene is something I feel a part of.

Not a rant at all, they are certainly a significant part of the past and future of OC's dining scene, whatever people's opinion on their return, it definitely should be interesting.

On an unrelated note, I am going to Marche Moderne this weekend, probably for lunch, any tips or can't misses?

On an unrelated note, I am going to Marche Moderne this weekend, probably for lunch, any tips or can't misses?

I wish I had tried one of the wood-fired tarts as those seem to be a house specialty. The Alsace Tart in particular with creme fraiche, gruyere, and ham sounded delicious. Don't forget to order a dessert because the pastry chef is great. I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts after your meal. I only hope you don't run into some of the same service issues we did on the first go-around.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

We actually ate at Stonehill twice within the last couple of weeks.  Once on Wednesday, May 30th, then again on Friday, June 8th.

Okay, Jason, just rub it in. Stonehill Tavern, twice in two weeks? It would be like me doing the same thing over at Providence ... :smile:

What would you recommend for a first-timer? The tasting menu? Or go a la carte with some of my favorite ingredients, like scallops, halibut, etc ...?

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Mina is known for his trios so it's hard not to order one. It's like getting three completely different dishes at once. We thought the Shellfish trio was the most intriguing but if you need foie, you can always get the Duck trio. I like the "American Tavern Classics" section of the menu with the burger, the shortribs, the crispy & sous vide pork, and the whole fried chicken for two carved tableside. Don't forget desserts because they're simply awesome, including the all-time Mina classic, root beer float.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

I concur with Jason. It might depend on what was being offered on the tasting menu.

I also highly recommend the lobster trio, if it is still available.

The lobster trio was on the menu last time we were there. It has been since the place opened I think. The highlight is the fritter, which is basically like a delicious mini lobster corn dog.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

The wife and I finally went to Stonehill Tavern this past Saturday and I thought I'd share our meal...

We decided to have the tasting menu with paired wines. They were basing the tasting menu off of Michael Mina's new cookbook, so everything we were served was in some way in the cookbook (except the duck, which was actually squab in the book). Here's what we had (oh, and sorry for the blurry photos):

gallery_54501_4803_628453.jpg

First course was Mina's infamous Osetra Caviar Parfait. My only complain about this dish was that is was too small. I know, I know, when you're paying $80 an oz. for this stuff, it's tough to get a generous portion but DAMN this was good. The caviar on it's own was amazing but eaten as the entire parfait, it was transcendent. The crispy potato cake, the creamy, fatty eggs, the mild smoked salmon and the creme fraiche with just enough chive and lemon zest to make the whole thing come together. Paired nicely with what the waiter informed me was Mina's own bottling of Champagne.

gallery_54501_4803_699670.jpg

Second course was the Big Eye Tuna Tartare. This was my first experience with Big Eye Tuna and it was definitely memorable. Unlike most tuna I've consumed, this had no sinew and melted like butter in my mouth. Upon first taste, it seemed as if the kitchen had gone a little crazy with the sesame oil, but everything soon acquiesced into a beautiful dish with bosc pear and garlic chips adding a little crispy/crunchy combo. Eaten with the toast provided and you have just about the best damn "snack" imaginable. Paired with a nice German Riesling (with appropriate stemware - you'll see why I mention this later).

gallery_54501_4803_765909.jpg

Third course was the duck. Like I mentioned before this dish was actually done with squab in the cookbook, but I'm glad duck was what ended up on my plate. I love duck. I've had duck probably a dozen times over the past couple years and this was the best prepared duck I've ever had. The duck was served over a bed of farro, which was also prepared perfectly. The saffron "foam" was DOA and turned into a sauce by the time it hit the table. I guess they didn't use lecithin like Chef Mina recommends, eh? The duck was perfectly cooked in that beautiful Medium-Rare to just slightly more than rare area, with the fat cap nice and crispy. No prolonged chewing involved. The quack was paired with a decent pinot. However, when the waitstaff brought out a couple of Riedel Bordeaux glasses, I was confused. It wasn't like the restaurant didn't have any Burgundy glasses (the couple next to us had them). Who knows. All in all, this was a surprising high light to the meal.

gallery_54501_4803_1621455.jpg

Fourth course was the beef course. Very tasty, if only a little predictable, Prime Filet. I would have loved to try that Butter Poached Rib Eye that Mina has in his book, but I'll settle for the delicious seared foie gras that was served. Even my wife, who has never been the biggest foie gras fan chowed her's down before even touching her filet. Beef was paired with bolied potatoes, sauteed spinach and pinot noir reduction. Great tasting dish but not very interesting. Paired with a Claret.

gallery_54501_4803_282894.jpg

Fifth and final course was the Root Beer Float with Chocolate Chip Cookies. Ahhhh...what I wouldn't give for another one of them Root Beer Floats. Apparently, Mina's signature dessert. At the end of the day, nothing beats a good root beer float. The cookies were pretty good as well. I checked the recipe when I got home and it's no wonder the cookies were so good - butter attack! We finished the meal off with some port and finally the "pay-the-bill Bon Bons".

The only thing I can even think about complaing about is the Pinot being served in the wrong stemware and the deflated foam. I really had to grasp at straws to come up with this.

Stonehill Tavern is certainly not breaking the culinary mold (Achatz and Adria do not apply), but what they did was perfect. My duck was hands down the best duck I've ever had in all it's simplistic glory. I usually don't prefer foie gras seared, but this foie was great. The tuna, the caviar, the root beer float...it was all delicious. Not a single weak dish and I guess that's what's really important. I'd much rather eat well-prepared tasty food even if it's not "exciting" than eat poorly-prepared molecular gastronic haute cuisine. I'm still discovering a lot of the newer restaurants in Orange County, but this seems to be a high point to start.

Good report, glad you enjoyed your meal. If you feel comfortable with my asking, would you mind telling me what the cost of the meal was, trying to get a feel for what the tasting menu with wine pairings is these days as I haven't been back in over a year.

Additionally, how did you feel about the wine pairings? Were the wines of high quality and were they well chosen for the dishes?

Thanks!

I'm really surprised to hear about your stemware snafu. Tim & Nathan run a solid wine program there and I bet Nathan in particular would be embarrassed about that. I would consider that an abnormal point of service for the restaurant. What was the Pinot by the way? That Michael Mina cuvee is delicious, especially at the price point. I think you should expect to see more select cuvees in the future from Mina's group. Raj, the head sommelier for the entire group, has some deals pending from great producers. I wish I could remember which exactly, but I recall a surprisingly good Pinot & Syrah producer mentioned last time we chatted about it.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com