• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stonehill Tavern

FoodZealot

Thanks for the heads up, FoodZealot!

Back in Aug. 2005, LA Times food critic reviewed Aqua restaurant (chef Laurent Manrique). At press time, it was mentioned that the restaurant Aqua might be closing because of differences. Sounds like it did closed, and now, Stonehill Tavern took its place. The grand opening was Feb. 8, 2006.

Here's a link to St. Regis Monarch Beach Resort and the Stonehill Tavern's menu.

Edited by rjwong (log)

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

• 3 weeks later...

We ended up going early rather than waiting until next month. In short, the food was fantastic. The service was extremely friendly, although a little bumbled.

At the entrance near the hostess stand are clear, polished glass wine racks for storage of Zins and Pinot Noirs. I presume the rest of the cellar is behind the scenes, but the three towering racks were well lit and extremely beautiful. The bar would be a fun place to have a cocktail, but the busy nature of the squared-corner "U-Shape" was too much to want to sit down for a dining experience. Flanking the bar were semi-private alcove booths similar to those at Nobhill in Vegas at the MGM Grand. In the future, I would reserve one of those directly for sure. The dining room is warm and lovely.

When we were sat at the banquette in the main dining room, we waited patiently for five minutes before being given copies of the bar/cocktail menu and the wine list. Another annoying five minutes later we were asked if we would like anything to drink. I was planning on wine service, but I had no idea which direction to go in since we still had not been presented with menus. After asking though, our server did present us both with the main menu and the multi-coursed tasting at $95 plus $55 for pairing. We ended up going with the main menu since, within the appetizer menu, starters were offered optionally as "tasting trios". The trios available were tuna, scallops, greens, lobster, and duck.

After opting for the lobster and duck appetizers, we were brought a small amuse of a perfect little dice of beet with artisan goat cheese, tiny fried basil leaf, and a beautiful/light vinaigrette. Our full appetizers consisted of:

Duck -

Cumin-Dusted Grilled Breast, Duck Jus, Roasted Chanterelle

Crispy Shredded Duck Thigh, Crystallized Ginger, Roasted Onion

Pan-Seared Foie Gras, Pear Salad, Baby Herbs, Brioche

Lobster -

Carpacio with Yuzu Vinaigrette, Avocado

Bisque with Lobster Knuckle, Almond, Almond Cream

Bacon-Wrapped Fritter with Japanese Lime and Herb Creme Fraiche

All of it was lovely. The plating was solid, the flavors were clear, and the order of progression was exactly right for each of the trios. For dinner we ordered the Prime Shortrib with Glazed Mirepoix and Pureed Potatoes and the Berkshire Hog Bone-In Ribeye and Belly Sous Vide with Truffle Sauce, Potato-Turnip Puree, and Glazed Baby Apple. Both were superb. The shortribs were toothsome and meaty with beautiful cipollini onion, celery, and carrot. The potatoes were creamy and luscious with an unbelievable amount of butter. The pork was off the hook. That was nearly a perfect dish, except the crisped skin on the belly was extremely peppery, too much so. The texture of the skin also made it difficult to cut so there were some logistics on that plate that needed some working on, but with small adjustments it can be a house specialty.

For desert we had the Angel Food Cake with Kaffir Lime Sorbet, Thai Basil, Strawberries, and Strawberry Soup. The cake was nearly custardy it was so rich and dense. The strawberries were surely soaked in strawberry juice with simple syrup. Nature surely can't make such a delightful berry on its own. The sorbet was nicely balanced with sweet and sour, and the floral quality of the kaffir was a nice touch. We spoke earlier in the evening with the restaurant’s wine director who was kind enough to pair the dessert with an outstanding Austrian Riesling. It was all white grapefruit on the nose with crisp pear, white cherry, and honey on the palette. It was amazing.

All in all Stonehill was superb and I plan on heading back again soon. I'm sure their glitches in service will be straightened out in no time. The staff was overly kind and polite at every turn so the timing stuff we experienced will pass as the restaurant grows into itself.

Kudos to Michael Mina once again for a huge hit, and thanks so much for setting up shop in Orange County where restaurants of this quality are in short supply.

p.s., Where did you find so many uber-hot hostesses?

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

We were very tempted to order the whole fried chicken for two with mascarpone polenta, but decided on a more meaty route to dinner. The chicken is brought out on a cart and carved tableside. It looked delicious, crispy, and succulent.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

• 5 weeks later...

In the 26 April 2006 edition of the LA Times Food Section Digest, LA Times food critic S. Irene Virbila reviews Stonehill Tavern at the St. Regis Monarch Beach Resort.

Irene did not mince words about Stonehill Tavern, or the former Aqua ...

Stonehill Tavern ... It's got just about everything: a great room, crisp service, inspired modern American cooking and an impressive wine program.

But that's not the miracle, this is: In only a few short months, it has swept away any lingering impression of the quite awful restaurant that preceded it in that space, Aqua ...

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

• 1 month later...

We really enjoyed our meal at Stonehill Tavern in April; I think it's definitely the best restaurant (high-end, that is) in OC. The duck trio appetizer and pork belly main dish were delicious. I appreciated the fact that our waitress was honest about what she liked and didn't like on the menu, even though she said management would be upset about her being so.

• 2 months later...

I was browsing through some old posts and remembered I forgot to post a review of Stonehill Tavern I did for another blog a few months ago. Here it is and bear in mind it is from June. Enjoy!

The restaurant showcased contemporary and elegant design and a great looking marble cocktail bar. Though the dining room was a tad bit loud it did not feel crowded and the noise did not have a negative effect on the dinner. The menu at Stonehill Tavern is simple and elegant focusing on high quality ingredients and simple preparations. It is very conducive to sharing items, though all are so good you may not want to! Appetizers are inventively arranged by food type: lobster, scallop, duck, tuna and greens and offered in three different preparations as well as a trio of tastings. We had the lobster fritters (with bacon and shiso), lobster bisque as well as seared scallops (with potato, parmesan, and ham). The scallops and fritters were both delicious in their own right but the bisque out shined them both. Although I am biased, as I would kill a man for a decent bowl of lobster bisque, this one was superb, perhaps the best I have had. It was mostly a delicious broth, clearly homemade lobster stock, light on the cream and contained nearly an entire lobster tail as well as fresh vegetables.

Not to be outdone by the appetizers the main courses impressed as well. I dined on the braised short rib of beef, a personal favorite of mine. I can rarely turn down this comfort dish if offered on a menu and this one was the best interpretation I have ever had, very tender with a light sauce and very lean as far as short ribs go, just spectacular. It was served with glazed mirepoix and potato puree; the latter was so delicious and buttery if I had the opportunity I would have gladly showered in it. My brothers had the New York steak and halibut respectively and both were delicious and inventively prepared. My parents shared the Berkshire pig, which was also delicious and cooked perfectly. In an age of flavorless, overcooked pork it was nice to see a restaurant treat it with respect and prepare it properly. The dinner ended with an incredible desert, a warm chocolate cake with an inside of molten peanut butter, an absolutely great ending to a truly memorable meal. In similar fashion the wine list shone as well. Expansive without being overbearing it showcased excellent and interesting choices all at reasonable cost, with a majority of the bottles under $125. We were guided through it by an excellent sommelier and enjoyed two great recommendations, a 2003 Patz and Hall Pinot Noir and a 2004 Copain Pinot Noir. Both wines were excellent and complemented the food wonderfully. Throughout the meal the service was superlative, friendly and non-intrusive and completely professional.

It is tough to describe a meal at Stonehill Tavern and not run out of superlatives, as the entire experience was nothing short of spectacular.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

We enjoyed the tasting menu at Stonehill on Thursday, August 31st. It was absolutely flawless. Stonehill is far and away the best restaurant in Orange County and that meal in particular was as good as any dinner I can recall . . . ever. The rib-eye cap sous vide with maui onion puree was the ultimate foil for a bottle of 1988 Rauzan Segla we brought with us. The somellier was super cool and completely approachable. The dishes were surprising and full of intrigue and the service never missed a beat once. I can't wait to go back again and again.

Side note, we had a bottle of Krug in our room before heading to dinner. The stemware in the room was awful so we thought we'd call the dining room and ask for a favor. Tim, the GM, hooked us up with nothing less than proper Krug stemware for our bottle. He rules, and so does the restaurant.

Edited by SiseFromm (log)

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

• 9 months later...

My wife and I have reservations at Stonehill Tavern on the 23rd of June. Anyone been there recently? We're looking forward to checking it out as a few folks have said this is the best restaurant in Orange County. Thanks!

I would think that praised dishes from the past would still hold up at this point. As the menu is reasonably seasonal there might be some nice produce selections given that it is summer.

I am jealous, I haven't been since my initial trip last year.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

We actually ate at Stonehill twice within the last couple of weeks. Once on Wednesday, May 30th, then again on Friday, June 8th.

We ate with a couple of friends of ours that Wednesday in one of the semi-private alcove booths off the bar. The restaurant was extraordinarily quiet, which was fine by me. We enjoyed the calm of the restaurant during our leisurely paced dinner. I started with Krug as usual because the champagne we had at the hotel bar fifteen minutes earlier was horrible and I needed something to refresh my palette. We luxuriously started with American caviar service with sifted egg yolks, sifted egg whites, whipped chive creme fraiche, minced red onions, and blinis. Honestly, I could do without all of the accompaniments and simply eat the caviar straight away off the alabaster spoons. The dinner moved on from there with a group of trios . . . Tuna for me, Shellfish for my wife, Duck for Shaun & Lobster for Lillie. Everything I tasted was wonderful from our dishes. The Shellfish trio, though, was by far the winner. The oysters were delicious and my personal favorite from that trio was the spot prawn with chorizo in sea urchin broth. I would highly recommend that dish. One item offered on the dinner menu was a beef course with seared tenderloin and braised beef cheeks. I loved the sound of those cheeks but had no interest in the filet. The kitchen was happy to accommodate me with a huge pile of braised cheeks, asparagus, and a potato-horseradish cake. The cheeks were like butter. My wife had the Tavern Burger which, as usual, stunk beautifully of truffles. There was a great lamb course which included a chop as well as pasta filled with braised shoulder. For dessert we had the Chevre Cheesecake with Funnel Cake & Blueberry Compote plus dessert wines. It was awesome and the bottles of 1994 Seavey Merlot, 2001 Gemstone, and 2004 Buccella didn’t hurt.

On Friday we opted for the bar and were, as usual, greeted warmly by the excellent front-house staff. Nathan is a great manager and wine director and the bar staff are fun and approachable but still serving food and beverage in a very sophisticated manner. Holly once again got the Shellfish trio to start. It was too good the first time around to pass up. We were there this time with Justin and he got the tuna trio I had the last time around. I skipped the appetizer because I just couldn’t commit to a big dinner again. The beef courses though, including those cheeks for Justin, the tavern burger for me, and the shortribs for Holly, all went superbly with the 1997 Paul Jaboulet Cornas we brought with us. We shared with the staff and in turn they shared some great dessert wine selections to pair with our cheese courses. The Sherry was great but the Madeira was where it was at!

All in all, both experiences were pretty much perfect. The food is solid and consistent. The staff is creative and attentive. The dining room is still gorgeous. The music is still eclectic and somehow fitting.

Apparently Michelin is traveling around Southern California and Stonehill is among several restaurants gunning for a star. I really can’t see why they wouldn’t get one.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Wow! Thanks for the heads up. From your description of Stonehill, it sounds like I'm in for a treat. I'll report back after the meal (a friend recomended the tasting menu).

Would anyone think that there are any other restaurants in the ballpark with Stonehill Tavern in Orange County? I don't mind driving to LA or even San Francisco or San Diego for a great meal, but it's nice to have decent grub in my backyard.

It'll be interesting to see what Southern California restaurants Michelin, in their all-encompassing wisdom, deem fit for one of those beloved stars - not that I don't think there are plenty of worthy candidates.

Wow! Thanks for the heads up. From your description of Stonehill, it sounds like I'm in for a treat. I'll report back after the meal (a friend recomended the tasting menu).

Would anyone think that there are any other restaurants in the ballpark with Stonehill Tavern in Orange County? I don't mind driving to LA or even San Francisco or San Diego for a great meal, but it's nice to have decent grub in my backyard.

It'll be interesting to see what Southern California restaurants Michelin, in their all-encompassing wisdom, deem fit for one (or two) of those beloved stars - not that I don't think there are plenty of worthy candidates.

You might want to try the Studio at the Montage in Laguna Beach. The first time I ate there was for dinner at the chef's table in 2004 and I really enjoyed it. I haven't repeated that experience, though, and have subsequently preferred the meals I've had at Stonehill Tavern.

It'll be interesting to see what Southern California restaurants Michelin, in their all-encompassing wisdom, deem fit for one (or two) of those beloved stars - not that I don't think there are plenty of worthy candidates.

We actually ate at Stonehill twice within the last couple of weeks.  Once on Wednesday, May 30th, then again on Friday, June 8th. 

We ate with a couple of friends of ours that Wednesday in one of the semi-private alcove booths off the bar.  The restaurant was extraordinarily quiet, which was fine by me.  We enjoyed the calm of the restaurant during our leisurely paced dinner.  I started with Krug as usual because the champagne we had at the hotel bar fifteen minutes earlier was horrible and I needed something to refresh my palette.  We luxuriously started with American caviar service with sifted egg yolks, sifted egg whites, whipped chive creme fraiche, minced red onions, and blinis.  Honestly, I could do without all of the accompaniments and simply eat the caviar straight away off the alabaster spoons.  The dinner moved on from there with a group of trios . . . Tuna for me, Shellfish for my wife, Duck for Shaun & Lobster for Lillie.  Everything I tasted was wonderful from our dishes.  The Shellfish trio, though, was by far the winner.  The oysters were delicious and my personal favorite from that trio was the spot prawn with chorizo in sea urchin broth.  I would highly recommend that dish.  One item offered on the dinner menu was a beef course with seared tenderloin and braised beef cheeks.  I loved the sound of those cheeks but had no interest in the filet.  The kitchen was happy to accommodate me with a huge pile of braised cheeks, asparagus, and a potato-horseradish cake.  The cheeks were like butter.  My wife had the Tavern Burger which, as usual, stunk beautifully of truffles.  There was a great lamb course which included a chop as well as pasta filled with braised shoulder.  For dessert we had the Chevre Cheesecake with Funnel Cake & Blueberry Compote plus dessert wines.  It was awesome and the bottles of 1994 Seavey Merlot, 2001 Gemstone, and 2004 Buccella didn’t hurt.

On Friday we opted for the bar and were, as usual, greeted warmly by the excellent front-house staff.  Nathan is a great manager and wine director and the bar staff are fun and approachable but still serving food and beverage in a very sophisticated manner.  Holly once again got the Shellfish trio to start.  It was too good the first time around to pass up.  We were there this time with Justin and he got the tuna trio I had the last time around.  I skipped the appetizer because I just couldn’t commit to a big dinner again.  The beef courses though, including those cheeks for Justin, the tavern burger for me, and the shortribs for Holly, all went superbly with the 1997 Paul Jaboulet Cornas we brought with us.  We shared with the staff and in turn they shared some great dessert wine selections to pair with our cheese courses.  The Sherry was great but the Madeira was where it was at! 

All in all, both experiences were pretty much perfect.  The food is solid and consistent.  The staff is creative and attentive.  The dining room is still gorgeous.  The music is still eclectic and somehow fitting. 

Apparently Michelin is traveling around Southern California and Stonehill is among several restaurants gunning for a star.  I really can’t see why they wouldn’t get one.

Damn Jason, that sounds awesome! I definately need to get back soon....

Carolyn, I think everyone here definately would suggest making Stonehill a stop on your trip.

Edited by Swicks (log)

I'd say 1 if they're lucky, but don't think they'll receive any stars.

I'd be very surprised if they didn't receive a star, but time will tell.

I definately agree, I think if anywhere in OC has a chance its defiantly Stonehill.

I'd say 1 if they're lucky, but don't think they'll receive any stars.

I'd be very surprised if they didn't receive a star, but time will tell.

It looks like Mobil gave Stonehill Tavern 4 STARS. From what I can see that's the only 4-star restaurant in Orange County. Not only that, but I couldn't see any restaurants in Southern California that received 5 stars.

If you give any credence to Mobil, then you have to think that Stonehill has a good chance of getting a Michelin Star (I know, I know - "they use different criteria" blah blah blah). Of the restaurants in the Bay area, Mobil gave all but one Michelin 2-star restaurant, 4 stars (somehow Michael Mina only got 3 - go figure). I know the Mobil and Michelin use different criteria, but you gotta like Stonehill's chances of getting at least one Michelin star.

All this talk about stars is making me hungry - I can't wait to try this place out.

I think that there are so many good restaurants in Orange County that have popped up over the past couple of years. The dining scene here is better than it has ever been. Stonehill has the hype, but I think Pinot Provence is very consistent and reliable. Apparently, their old chef, Florent Marneau, who got lots of praise moved to South Coast Plaza and took over the Troquet space, now called Marche Moderne. The new restaurant over at the Segerstrom Hall received excellent reviews in the LA Times and it seemed to rank it as highly as Stonehill.

I just went to Pinot Provence yesterday. The new chef is Nicholas Weber and the food is excellent. The service is spotty and the menu isn't exactly unique but the food is solid. The service was pretty spotty: things like not replacing the forks, having to tell the waiter who brought the food out who ordered what. So I'd be surprised if it got a michelin star. I took the patio setting, so maybe the service is lax for people who dine outdoors? I don't know. The patio music was Snow Patrol. ;). I wonder if they played that inside.

Biggest complaints were the desserts. Creme brulee, although very good, is still creme brulee. And then they offered grand marnier souffle and angel food cake with strawberries. Reliable but boring choices.

Edited by savvysearch (log)

I think that there are so many good restaurants in Orange County that have popped up over the past couple of years. The dining scene here is better than it has ever been. Stonehill has the hype, but I think Pinot Provence is very consistent and reliable. Apparently, their old chef, Florent Marneau, who got lots of praise moved to South Coast Plaza and took over the Troquet space, now called Marche Moderne. The new restaurant over at the Segerstrom Hall received excellent reviews in the LA Times and it seemed to rank it as highly as Stonehill.

I just went to Pinot Provence yesterday. The new chef is Nicholas Weber and the food is excellent. The service is spotty and the menu isn't exactly unique but the food is solid. The service was pretty spotty: things like not replacing the forks, having to tell the waiter who brought the food out who ordered what. So I'd be surprised if it got a michelin star. I took the patio setting, so maybe the service is lax for people who dine outdoors? I don't know. The patio music was Snow Patrol. ;). I wonder if they played that inside.

Biggest complaints were the desserts. Creme brulee, although very good, is still creme brulee. And then they offered grand marnier souffle and angel food cake with strawberries. Reliable but boring choices.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely think there are some decent (even really good) restaurants in Orange County, but nothing great. It seems for every Stonehill Tavern, Pinot Provence or Studio there are a million TGI Fridays, Chilli's and every other crap chain restaurant. My main complaint is that the majority of restaurants in Orange County are chains and the few that are independently owned are horribly boring (cheesy Italian places, wannabe "California" cuisine, etc.). After eating in great restaurants up in San Francisco and Napa/Sonoma, it's hard to justify spending money on crap food. At the same time, one wonders if a fine dining restaurant could survive outside of a four-star hotel, given Orange County's proclivity towards the mundane and comfortable. It seems like if you want a decent dinner, you have to go to Newport or Laguna Beach to even get close.

I ate at French 75 in Laguna a few months ago and while it was certainly better than a majority of the places thoughout the county, it was still BORING. I could make the same exact thing at home and not have to deal with the annoying folks at the bar. It's sad that this kind of place could possibly be towards the top of the Orange County restaurant scene (not including the aforementioned Stonehill Tavern and Studio).

Am I missing something here? It seems like the safest bet here is Wahoo's Fish Tacos. At least I won't spend $200 and leave dissapointed.