• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bad Meat, Bad Meal

Meatvegan

My login suggests I'm a wayward veggie, a closet carnivore who should know better than to stray from healthy and time-tested favorites like brown rice and broccoli. After tonight's dinner, it all becomes more true. I was taken to a place in Newark, NJ called Seabra's (which, I understand, is a favorite of some gulletteers.) I helped swallow sword after sword of nearly-burned beef, pork and chicken. It was overpriced and certainly overcooked. Four hours later I feel overfed and certainly under-satisfied. Oh, well. The company and the conversation were fine. I guess food isn't everything. :sad:

Seabra's isn't a place I'd ever send a struggling vegetarian.

The whole point of the place is that it's cheap (yes, despite your comment it is) and the food has a salty taste that's definitely an aquired one, but right in certain circumstances. As for the overcooked comment... I don't know what to say. I haven't noticed it, and I usually order my food still bleeding when given a choice.

It's not a favorite in any absolute sense, just among its "genre". You have to be in a primal carnivorous rage, otherwise it will range from innappropriate to yes, perhaps even offensive.

It's not gourmet food. Hopefully its inclusion on this board didn't fool you into thinking that. If you are trying to wander back into the meat-eating world in a more gradual way, make a post about that and there will be several eGulleteers who have made a similar trip and who will be happy to help with suggestions about a way to help with that.

Plus, since there are about 40 places in Newark called "Seabra's" its possible it was a different one.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Seabra's Rodizo and Seabra's Mediterranean Manor are two different places.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I went to the Seabra's on Jefferson St off Chestnut in Newark's exotic Ironbound district, a/k/a "Down Neck." But really, did you have to remind me. :shock:

My favorite restaurant in NJ is Tuptim, a Thai place on Bloomfield Ave. in Montclair. Outstanding for those of the veggie persuasion as well as meat chavinist pigs. :cool:

I went to the Seabra's on Jefferson St off Chestnut in Newark's exotic Ironbound district, a/k/a "Down Neck."  But really, did you have to remind me. :shock:

That's Seabra's Mediterranean Manor. NJ eGullet Dinner #1 was there.

Seabra's Rodizio is on NJ 21, north of the arts center and south of the ballfield.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo