• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Interstate Highway Restaurant Signs

Holly Moore

I've always wondered about those "Restaurants Next Exit" signs along the interstates. Especially how hard it is for an independent restaurant to be listed.

Finally found out from a guy who runs a barbecue stand of I-75 in southern GA. His signs went up recently. There are usually six spaces. He was number 6. Just beat out a KFC stand that was under construction.

Answers first question. It's first come, first served.

The costs:

For creating and hanging 4 signs - one each direction on the road; at the end of each ramp: approximately $975.00 One time cost. That's what it costs in S. Georgia at least. May be different elsewhere.

The annual rental: $1,500 hundred a year. Just went up from around $900 a year. Again, that cost may be regional.

For comparison, a billboard on I-75 in S. GA goes for $300 a month. That's about a tenth of the monthly cost in the Philadelphia area.

Some of the requirements to qualify:

- Inside seating

- Handicap access

- Pay Phone

- Rest Rooms

- Serve at least two meal periods

- Rest Rooms

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Holly, I've heard tell that the big corporations can buy blocks of these signs, basically insuring that their product appears on every one of them it can, whereas mom and pop often get squeezed out. Makes sense, but do you know if it's true at all?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Driving up and down Interstate 35, from Austin to Arlington - where my mother lives - I find more local places on those signs than other areas of the country. Mainly for the Kolache stops just north of Waco, but I like the idea that they are there. I would much rather patronize a local establishment over a chain one. Although, I will admit to a weakness for Dairy Queen soft serve. :hmmm:

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

In Alabama, (asfik), it's the closest to the exit that gets listed. There was a story a little while back about a restaurant owner who had the sign, then lost his spot when another place opened closer to the ramp, crowding him out. I also seldom see listings for more than a mile from the exit in Alabama. I've seen far more than a mile done around Laurel, Mississippi.

Edited to add, it must be a state thing. Revenue for sure, but also handy to the drivers as well.

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

In Alabama, (asfik), it's the closest to the exit that gets listed. There was a story a little while back about a restaurant owner who had the sign, then lost his spot when another place opened closer to the ramp, crowding him out. I also seldom see listings for more than a mile from the exit in Alabama. I've seen far more than a mile done around Laurel, Mississippi.

Edited to add, it must be a state thing. Revenue for sure, but also handy to the drivers as well.

There is one exit outside of Albuquerque that lists 2 restaurants, and when you actually are on the ramp, it says that both of them are "<--- 2.3 miles" (to the left) down old Rt 66. The amusing part of the tale is that the next exit is exactly 2 more miles down the freeway and the restaurants in question are actually just a few hundred feet away from that 2nd exit....

I would be frustrated if I were a motorist.... In other states this has also happened to me when I see a sign for an establishment, and only after you are on the ramp does it tell you its miles away. :angry: I suppose at least it tells you at all, eh?

Andrea

http://foodpart.com

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!