• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleaning clay tiles

hazardnc

I use a set of unglazed tiles for baking pizza and bread. The residue from the semolina and/or cornmeal that lingers burns and smokes to high heaven.

How do you clean your clay tiles or clay insert?

I just wash mine with soap & warm water & scrub off burnt-on gunk with a sponge/scrubber. They are discolored, but I haven't had any problems with odors or smoking. The instructions for mine warn against using them when wet or moist, so I let them dry thoroughly before using them again. I've had this set for several years now & haven't had any problems.

I run mine in the oven self clean cycle and it comes out like new all stains and carbon gone.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

I use a set of unglazed tiles for baking pizza and bread.  The residue from the semolina and/or cornmeal that lingers burns and smokes to high heaven.

How do you clean your clay tiles or clay insert?

I use unglazed quarry tiles; when I need to clean them, I just leave them in the oven and run the self-clean cycle. Works like a charm. Doesn't crack the tiles (tiles were made originally at much higher temperatures than a self-clean cycle).

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau