• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean pickled peppers

I am looking for a recipe. I got from someone a jar of Jalepenos pickeled in a sweet soy sauce brine. It was amazing. Crunchy, sweet, salty and hot. I couldn't stop eating them. Now they are all gone and I don't have a recipe for it.

I don't know the Korean name for it but the this soy sauce based sauce is also used to pickle other vegetables (e.g., garlic).

I would really appreciate the recipe.

Thanks in advance...

Soup

I hope this helps. here is the recipe garlic pickled in soy sauce which is called Ma nl jang ah jji. Garlic is "ma nil" so if you made it with korean green peppers (which are substituted for jalapenos often in america) it would be called "put go choo Jang ah jji". A word of warning: I am not korean so take this with a grain of salt (and a dab of kimchi).

I gave it a try. It was the recipe I was looking for. I added half jalepeno and half garlic. I'll let you guys know in a few weeks how it turns out? Have you guys put in other vegies?

ive usually had this with just garlic. a few times I have seen it with chunks of korean radish. I would like to make some but my small refrigerator is already packed with various kimchi. now I know why you can buy a seperate kimchi fridge!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I made this with the korean radish, jalepeno, and garlic. After pickling for 3 weeks, I took it out last night and had some. Yum. Just right. This was great and I would recommend anyone who likes pickles to try it. The recipe was simple and results are great.

Thanks _John on the recipe.

Soup

Ok, I made this with the korean radish, jalepeno, and garlic.  After pickling for 3 weeks, I took it out last night and had some.  Yum.  Just right.  This was great and I would recommend anyone who likes pickles to try it.  The recipe was simple and results are great. 

Thanks _John on the recipe. 

Soup

I think will try making it as well, my kimchi reserves are running low. I will probably use korean green peppers from my nearby Korea town. Actually I think I have seen one vendor who sells the pickles already made.