• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Newest coffee machines to brew the perfect pot

Gifted Gourmet

from MSNBC

Today’s coffee machines are a lot more sophisticated and have more electronic controls to insure that each cup is perfectly brewed. Capsules and pods now proliferate ... picks for the best new coffeemakers:

Keurig B60 ...

Tassimo ...

Mr. Coffee AT13 Home Café Single Serve ...

Nespresso — Romeo ...

ILLY Pasquini Livia 90 model ...

Rancilio — Silvia Model ...

Own one?

Want one?

Any better than what you already own? :rolleyes:

Is this list complete?

Opinions desired ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

The first four on the list are single-serve pod machines that use pre-ground coffee pods.

The last two are espresso machines - big difference.

I really dislike the pod machines because the only thing that they are about is convenience. The coffee is expensive (~$15/pound), stale, and you have a limited choice - one that is dictated by the manufacturer of the particular pod type that you have to use.

Both of the espresso machines listed are excellent. Coffeegeek is an excellent resource for seeing reviews on different espresso machines and coffee in general.

I agree, the pod machines limit your choice and you just can't guarentee their freshness. There are a couple user fillable pods out there you can use your own coffee. It all sounds like eliminating their only advantage (convenience).

The espresso machines are fine but I prefer my La Pavoni Europiccola. (and my wife will stick with her Cona though we were both impressed with the coffee we were able to make with the Aeropress while we were travelling)

So the base answer is - no, I don't want any of these machines. I would be interested in a Clover but not at the price they are asking. It's fine for coffee houses but a bit high for my kitchen.

Ken

I got a kick out of the first sentence in the article. I remember when coffee was 10 cents and refills were free.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

We have a Livia 90 and love it. The separate boiler for steam means you can make a latte in 30 seconds--just the time it takes to brew the coffee. It's a big unit, and requires a complementary grinding unit--we ended up with the Mazzer Mini.

We also use a Cona vacuum pot at our cabin but will be trying out the Aeropress on our next trip.

We also use a Cona vacuum pot at our cabin but will be trying out the Aeropress on our next trip.

Marc, have you worked with the Aeropress yet?? It took me several passes to get a cup I enjoyed. Many more until I found a combination that worked for my wife. She still likes her cona brewed coffee better but I got to where I was able to make very good cups for each of us. Interested to hear your experience.

Ken