• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gastropub in WC2

I have read through various threads on gastropubs ('what is a gastropub? discuss.') but they all seem to refer to pubs in Islington/Hammersmith/Shoreditch/Clapham.

I want to take an friend out to lunch on Friday, ideally somewhere:

with decent draught beer (real ale rather than lager)

walkable from Covent Garden

and with decent food.

It seems that all the pubs round here, where you can get a decent beer, have the same identikit plastic laminated menu of x/y/z and chips, pies, salads, etc, and you just *know* that it's going to be crap. And none of the hundreds of restaurants do proper beer. :sad:

Sometimes you want to sit and have a couple of nice pints and have some lunch - don't really mind too much what sort of food (really nice ham, free-range egg and proper chips would go down just as nicely as a proper Thai curry) but on a Friday lunchtime you've got to have a beer with it.

All and any suggestions welcome.

thx

Stewart

Not sure if this fits into the "gastropub" catagory but Helen and I have had a couple of decent meals in the Seven Stars in Holburn. Food was good. wine list o.k. and good service. I cannot remember what brewery owned it Young's or Adnams? so limited beer selection. Nice clientele mainly from the law courts (trendy solicitor's, attractive legal secretaries). Hopefully this helps.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Not sure if this fits into the "gastropub" catagory but Helen and I have had a couple of decent meals in the Seven Stars in Holburn. Food was good. wine list o.k. and good service. I cannot remember what brewery owned it Young's or Adnams? so limited beer selection. Nice clientele mainly from the law courts (trendy solicitor's, attractive legal secretaries). Hopefully this helps.

Cheers,

Stephen

Assuming this is the the Seven Stars in Carey St , (parallel to and just noth of Fleet St), its an Adnams pub - run by Roxy Beaujolais. She's also got a new place , The Bountiful Cow on Eagle St which is just south of Red Lion Sq much closer to Holborn.

I think the Bountiful Cow is more of a gastro pub.

There was also a pub just round the corner from there on Southampton way that was making a bit of an effort with its food - at one time Richard Cawley (Crawley ?), (ex fashion lecturer at St Martins who had a spell as a minor food celebrity after winning an early Masterchef, i think, then for a while had a place on Old Compton St) was cooking there. Not sure if he still is or what the foods like now though.

Can't think of much else in the area, unless your happy to settle for a big selection of Dutch and Belgian beers, in which case there is the Lowlander , on Drury Lane, just north of the intersection with Great Queen St.

The other option is to jump on a bus and head towards Euston and the Somerstown Coffee House (whch , despite the name, is a pub.)

Gethin

Not much in the area - I was going to mention the Perseverance too, but not sure what real ale they do.

If you're on for a bit of a walk over the river your best bet by far is the Anchor & Hope (there's a thread somewhere).

W.

Thanks to all,

Was considering the Seven Stars as being not too far away, but a quick google reveals that the Perseverance does Deuchars IPA, so I'll just have to persuade friend that a 20 minute walk will be a good way of working up an appetite for lunch :smile:

ta muchly

stewie