• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Virginia Road Food

hazardnc

I think White's Truck Stop is your best bet!

There's a decent coffee shop right off the road in Harrisonburg- a Virginia chain called Daily Grind, it's even on the food options billboard at the exit.

If you're willing to go off of 81 into Roanoke, there's a food court downtown that has some interesting choices- bbq, Greek, Asian, sushi, all locally owned and operated, no chains.

• 2 weeks later...
I will be making a road trip to Philly in a couple of weeks and would love a suggestion for good road food in VA anywhere from Roanoke to Winchester.

I hope that you have not already left for your trip, because I actually have some dining tips for that stretch of road. I used to live out in the Shenandoah Valley about eight years ago, where I worked for a chef named Lucio. I last heard that he opened a new restaurant, most likely eponymous, in Culpeper, Va. It can't be too hard to find with a little web searching. Also, my friend recently moved back to West Virginia to manage his family's inn and restaurant. It's called the Bavarian Inn and is just off I-81. I think there is a website you can visit for a preview and directions.

The Bavarian Inn is a good 20 minutes or so off of I-81, in Shepherdstown, WV. Shepherdstown is a great little town worth exploring. I have not dined at the Bavarian Inn, but you can check out their website here.

Regardless of what you read, or hear, do not go to Mrs. Rowes - exit 222 in Staunton. Since she passed away, the place has deteriorated to a shadow of its former greatness.

I'd go along with the Southern Kitchen in New Market - exit 264. No longer real mashed potatoes, but everything thing else is nice. And, it's a time warp, which I suspect you're looking for. Fried chicken is especially good, but you may have to wait for it if you're there at lunch time.

Thanks for the tip on Mrs Rowe's, Doug. We take I-81 when we visit my parents in NC and noticed the restaurant on our last return trip...I was thinking of trying it next time 'round, but if it sucks why bother.

I will be making a road trip to Philly in a couple of weeks and would love a suggestion for good road food in VA anywhere from Roanoke to Winchester.

I hope that you have not already left for your trip, because I actually have some dining tips for that stretch of road. I used to live out in the Shenandoah Valley about eight years ago, where I worked for a chef named Lucio. I last heard that he opened a new restaurant, most likely eponymous, in Culpeper, Va. It can't be too hard to find with a little web searching. Also, my friend recently moved back to West Virginia to manage his family's inn and restaurant. It's called the Bavarian Inn and is just off I-81. I think there is a website you can visit for a preview and directions.

Here is a link to a restaurant list - sure enough,Lucio has a restaurant, though no website Culpeper

We leave on Saturday morning. I imagine we will be searching for lunch by the time we hit that section of Virginia. I wonder if they do lunch?

Edited by hazardnc (log)

Hazard, Culpeper is great but be aware that it's about 1.25 hours off of I-81. You could continue on to Philadelphia via I-95, but would want to time it to avoid the DC area rush hour which can begins as early as 3:30. Ooops - just remebered you said Saturday - DC traffic shouldn't be too bad.

Malawry, look here: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11743

Very sad, as this was one of my favorites for over 30 years - until about 5 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...