• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for vegetable soup like Marie Callenders

toni

I'm hoping someone has a recipe for vegetable soup like the one at Marie Callender's. I have read many posts on this forum but haven't found one that could help me replicate the restaurant soup that is really delicious...not too tomatoey but it has a reddish tint and a few bits of tomato in it. I don't care for much onion and I just pick out any onions which is easy.

Hi Toni and welcome to eGullet!

Here is a thread that was started over a year ago with nothing but soups in it: click.

I'm not familiar with Marie Callendar's soup but it sounds like the minestrone or chicken vegetable soups from the thread might come close to what you've described.

Hi Toni and welcome to eGullet!

Here is a thread that was started over a year ago with nothing but soups in it: click.

I'm not familiar with Marie Callendar's soup but it sounds like the minestrone or chicken vegetable soups from the thread might come close to what you've described.

Thank you, Jensen, I appreciate your help. I had read through all the soups in that thread and did not find one I thought seemed similar to a regular vegetable soup, but I will read through them again. As in the case of the wonderful cooks in eGullet, I should experiment and be creative. I was just not sure of the base for the broth and thought someone might know about Marie Callender's vegetable soup or one that seemed similiar. Thank you for your response.

Toni, do they sell it in the freezer section of the grocery? If so, you might be able to get a better handle on it if you look at the ingredient list. Or, if you e-mail them, will they send you an ingredient list?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

If you have a Marie Callender's near you, get a bowl for take out.

Take it home and dissect it. Strain the solids out, spread them out on a tray, and make note of what's there.

Taste the broth. It's probably, but not necessarily, a chicken broth base with seasonings. Look through vegetable soup recipes in cookbooks you have, and you can get a general idea of the types of things that should go in.

This is what I did to figure out how to make Carrabba's lentil sausage soup.

One idea - my husband and I don't really care for parsnips, but when I make chicken broth-based vegetable soups, I put chunks of parsnips in to flavor the broth, and then remove them. They really add a nice flavor.

Great ideas, Snowangel and Jgm. I did get the vegetable soup for take out the other day, but other than asking if they use fresh or canned tomatoes, I didn't think to dissect the soup when I got home. I just ate it and loved it. They used canned tomatoes, and I liked your suggestion of using parsnips and then discarding them after cooking. I am armed with better ideas for soup making this weekend, thank you!

If you have a Marie Callender's near you, get a bowl for take out.

Take it home and dissect it.  Strain the solids out, spread them out on a tray, and make note of what's there.

Taste the broth.  It's probably, but not necessarily, a chicken broth base with seasonings.  Look through vegetable soup recipes in cookbooks you have, and you can get a general idea of the types of things that should go in.

This is what I did to figure out how to make Carrabba's lentil sausage soup. 

One idea - my husband and I don't really care for parsnips, but when I make chicken broth-based vegetable soups, I put chunks of parsnips in to flavor the broth, and then remove them.  They really add a nice flavor.

I put in turnip halves for broth flavor and then take them out.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.