• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

reheating braised beef shanks

dbrociner

Yesterday I made some braised beef shanks but we weren't able to eat them. I separated the shanks from the braising liquid so that I could skim off the fat from the liquid before reheating. My question is this: whats the best way to reheat? Should I recombine and put everything back in the oven? Can I microwave the shanks and heat the degreased liquid back on the stove? Can I put the shanks and the degreased liquid in my crock pot and leave them all day on the low setting while I go to work? At some point I will cook down the liquid and use it as a sauce on the meat and some form of starch-noodles, rice or mashed potatoes. Thanks for the help.

I dunno about the BEST way to reheat, but it seems to involve the word "slowly". Crockpot with the meat and defatted sauce, yes. Slow oven, or slow burner, with the meat and defatted sauce, yes. Microwave - well, I've done it and the results were good, but I could tell that they weren't as good as when I'd reheated with more patience.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

The shanks have been braised for several hours now, theres very little you can do now to really mess them up. I just microwave on high for 2 minutes, stir, microwave on high for another 2 minutes and then let rest for 5 minutes.

PS: I am a guy.

You can reheat them in the braising liquid on the stovetop. its the best way. when they are warm then trnasfer them to a plate and you can reduce all or some of the liquid and glaze the meat with it.

I think you have a couple of options based on what your plans are for the braising liquid. One way has already been mentioned -- reheat in the braising liquid slowly on the stove top. This would work regardless of your plans for the liquid.

If the liquid is going to be used for a sauce (either by reducing or pureeing), an alternative available to you is to reheat the shanks on a shallow baking sheet in the oven. You may wish to cover with foil to prevent drying out.

Whatever you do, don't use your microwave.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I always reheat my braises with the defatted sauce and the meat together. In a low oven, convered.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I cannot overemphasise how much you do not want to reheat it in any other way but in the braising liquid.

Reheating it in the oven defeats the purpose of braising it in the first place.

In the oven, high or low heat, you are dehydrating it and it gets dry and stringy.

The best way to do it is....

Put the braising Jus back in as small a pot as possible to hold the meat.

Note the approximate liquid level and bring it to a boil.

Taste it to see how strong /reduced it is.

Add about 1 cup of plain water.

Bring back to a boil

add your meat and turn it down to a simmer and let it reduce to the original level/strength.

This way, it gets heated through and stays moist hydrated.

cheeerio.

I reheated two seperate portions that were braised together.

One in the microwave completely submerged

the other simmered on the stove top.

Microwaved portion definitively came out tougher and lost something.

Probably would not have noticed but in a side by side comparison, it was clear.

Guess its because microwaves cook from the center of the product while braising embalms it.