• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anti-Griddle

Schneier

Robert and Maxim

Now that you have had multiple months and a couple holidays to experiment with your Anti-Griddles, what new recipes or uses have you discovered? I just bought one and am beginning to 'discover'.

Guess I have joined the several sous vide machines/chamber vacuum/assorted other exotic machines club! The dues are high, but the eperiments are fun!

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

Welcome to the League of Expensive Toys! But they're still cheap compared to decent cameras and lenses. All things are relative!

I'm afraid I haven't done much experimentation recently, as we are in the throes of buying a new house in Santa Fe, and preparing to move. But one of the features of the kitchen is a 14' island counter, so I'll have plenty of room!

My most frequent use is the chilled vodka bath, for preserving left-overs, and for cook-chill.

• 1 year later...

Hello Robert and thanks for your detailed review of the product.

Did you check the actual temperature of the cold plate ? (for example with a drop of frozen water embedding the tip of the thermometer ?).

I'd be interested to know if it's really -34°C before ordering one (for cooking and for a few science experiments)

Thanks

Samuel from France

• 7 years later...

This has always been on my radar, but I never bit the bullet due to the cost. Found a used one on Facebook Marketplace and picked it up for $250 CAD…. I figured at that price it’s worth it for the experience alone. 

Came from a restaurant that went out of business :( 

Firing it up now.  Will take a temperature shortly but it’s getting cold. 

What should I make first? 

41234F89-9CAE-4A93-B607-0CDB613FC60B.jpeg

Edited by CanadianHomeChef (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

29 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

This has always been on my radar, but I never bit the bullet due to the cost. Found a used one on Facebook Marketplace and picked it up for $250 CAD…. I figured at that price it’s worth it for the experience alone. 

41234F89-9CAE-4A93-B607-0CDB613FC60B.jpeg

A goodly discount from the new price, not even figuring in the US/CA exchange rate. Have fun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DesertTinker said:

A goodly discount from the new price, not even figuring in the US/CA exchange rate. Have fun!

I’m not sure if they sell it anymore directly; it’s not listed on polyscience anymore. Only thing I have to worry about parts wise right now is the filter though and it will probably just be able to clean it according to instructions. 

• Like 1

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

16 hours ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Amazing deal! I'm jealous I didn't even think of searching for that... Alberta is a bit far anyway though

There's a lot of knock offs these days sold as "ice cream roll makers" but even those are 400 CAD. Might be an avenue to look into if you ever need parts

@CanadianHomeChef congratulations on the anti griddle! Sorry that I don’t really have any suggestions for you but I’m having fun watching your experiments.  The one thing that popped in as an idea is to make chocolate bird nests for Easter or Spring. You could use them to serve ice cream or other sweets. Lots of cool chocolate decor can supposedly be made if you pour it on a cold surface.

video of making chocolate nests 

https://youtu.be/vhlOgL8OSIE

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, curls said:

@CanadianHomeChef congratulations on the anti griddle! Sorry that I don’t really have any suggestions for you but I’m having fun watching your experiments.  The one thing that popped in as an idea is to make chocolate bird nests for Easter or Spring. You could use them to serve ice cream or other sweets. Lots of cool chocolate decor can supposedly be made if you pour it on a cold surface.

video of making chocolate nests 

https://youtu.be/vhlOgL8OSIE

That could be neat. I teach Foods to middle school students this year, so they would probably get a kick out of that. Not too sure if my skills are up to snuff for folding the chocolate into a basket, let alone teach it, but maybe if I practice.... 

Edited by CanadianHomeChef (log)
  • Like 2

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor