• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All you can eat stone crabs?

Beth E.

Are there any all you can eat stone crab places around? DH is in Florida and craving stone crabs. We used to go to Monty's but they are closed now.

DH is in the Boca area, but is willing to drive for good stone crabs.

They do, and they said that tonight they'll be featuring AYCE of the "mediums", but they weren't going to know the price until after 4 pm.

I ate there twice in November and the claws were pristine and delicious, unlike many places (Monty's to name one, but not limited to there) where they've been unpleasant.

Billys is quoting the following prices for Lunch orders of stone crabs (not all you can eat) with the explanation that at dinner the prices are higher (you have to call after 4 pm for dinner quotes). But to give you an idea, today for lunch the mediums (7 claws) are $21, the Large (4 claws) are $32, and the Jumbos (2-3) are $39.

I can predict (from my November trip) that the all you can eat prices at dinner will be formidable; but the quality is definitely there.

I was going to go with all you can eat, but they talked me into starting with a dinner portion of 7 large and except to gorge myself needlessly one one or two more tastes, I really couldn't have eaten any more; I would have picked an additional crab perhaps, and paid a fortune to do so.

Please let us know how you make out!

Call Billy's in Hollywood to see if they still offer AYCE stone crabs.

http://www.stone-crabs.com

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's