• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drained Tomato Juice

wilsonrabbit

I've tried some searches here and on the web looking for recipes or uses for the tomato juice leftover from draining canned tomatoes. No success. So, what do you guys do with it? It seems such a waste to just toss it, yet seems too watery to use like tomato puree.

Thanks!

You could save it in the freezer to add to gravies or pasta sauces or you could add some milk and butter, maybe some parsley and fine minced onion, thicken with a little flour and call it soup! I've done that, it's good.

---------------------------------------

Mix 1 part tomato water with 4-8 parts beer. Great snack.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I have learned thru experience that the "Tomatoes of almost every variety packed in water are very inconsistent. Often the water can be salty but it rarely has much character or flavor since it is added during the canning process to provide volume.

That's why I now only buy Tomatoes that are packed in Tomato Puree it generally is sometimes the same price as the water packed if you check all brands available at your retailer but at worst it only slightly more expensive.

Some are with added Basil or in commercial variations different specific gravity that if higher means thicker puree.

Even reducing the water packed in tomatoes rarely enhances except to increase salty flavor. The puree is very adaptable to almost anything you utilize canned tomato's for generally and marries well with everything.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

If you're draining tomatos, there's a good chance you're making pasta?

Add the juice to the water used for boiling pasta.

It sure won't hurt anything.

SB (waste not, wont not) :wink:

Thanks for all the tips and thoughts on the matter. I try to buy the tomatoes in puree if I can but it seems water is the more common companion. I've only recently ventured into cooking with canned tomatoes and so far, most of the recipes required draining the tomatoes thus there goes adding it in to the dish. However, with all this mention of adding it to marinara, perhaps I'll try making a sauce out of it? I've never made marinara before. Soup sounds like a pretty good, no-fail idea.

What of a dressing of sorts...warm or cold? Does this sound like an edible possibility? Maybe reducing it with a bit of wine...add some herbs...and some good olive oil...tossed with some greens or even cold seafood? I've never made anything like this either. I'm pulling this out of the air. Anyone with experience in this know?

Sometimes I just put the juice in along with the tomatoes as part of the liquid content of the dish I'm cooking--for instance, for simple braises.

Similarly, the juice from a can of black olives works very good for braisng beef. A little pickle brine works too.

You won't need to add much salt.

:raz:

More uses for tomato water:

Freeze it, partially thaw and whirl in a blender or food processor until smooth. Mix with minced cucumber, red onion and bell pepper as a gazpacho snow cone.

Add it to champagne for a Sunday morning cocktail.

Poach lean fish (e.g., halibut) in it. When the fish is done, remove it to a platter and reduce the tomato water, then beat in butter or olive oil and finish with fresh chopped tomatoes and basil. Chicken breast is also good this way.

The same mix (without fish) reduces to an excellent pasta sauce.