• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What would mythical and extinct animals taste like

how about smurfs

braised in their own mushroom houses?

sigmund the sea monster sushi...

truffle stuffed Puffinstuff.

E.T. fried rice.

you could cook most Sid and Marty Kroft characters...

except Electro-Woman and Dynagirl

-m

Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Mmm, Snork boulliabaise...

I would imagine that dragons would be smoky, and tough. Maybe gamey, and painty tasting like wild duck. I concur with those that say they would be slightly metallic tasting. You can't eat all that hammered iron and steel, (in the form of armor) without it affecting your general flavor.

Pterodactyls, I would imagine, tastes like dried, over-roasted turkey, like the bony wing portion of the family's prized (albiet dry) Thankgiving bird. Tough, bony, stringy, vaguely reminiscent of poultry.

On the dragon note, they are undisputably of the lizard family (in appearance, at least) so my guess is that they'd be similar to crocodile meat.

Phoenix - although they cook themselves, they cook until ash so unless you like extra-well done....

Perhaps they are mythical creatures like the Shmoo, who taste of whatever you're craving when you put them in your mouth.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I think texture-wise, angels would be like those chinese deep fried shrimp chips, and would just dissolve in your mouth on contact. Or like cotton candy. Taste-wise, they're probably just like milk and honey.

Smurfs I think would turn grey and squishy if you cooked them; probably best eaten like sashimi.

The Minotaur I expect would probably taste like month-old steak tartar that's been sitting in the sun.

And I agree that dragons would taste like metallic crocodile.

A few more.....

Faeries.... the little ones that live under mushrooms in the forest, probably taste just like enobi mushrooms, only crunchy.

Leprechauns.... probably gristly and bitter, sort of like what I imagine raw gall bladder might taste like.

Trolls I expect would actually taste like avacado.

Remember, there are Western dragons -- the kind that fly by flapping their wings and breathe fire -- and Eastern dragons -- the kind that fly by levitation and are more benevolent. I hypothesize Eastern dragons would taste more like snake.

Phoenix - although they cook themselves, they cook until ash so unless you like extra-well done....

The best treatment of Phoenix would probably be just as a tandoor warmer that would also add a bit of richness to your schmoo and smurf tikka.

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

I think texture-wise, angels would be like those chinese deep fried shrimp chips, and would just dissolve in your mouth on contact. Or like cotton candy.

Exactly. Angels have an ethereal texture, especially the cherub variety.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Cyclops probably tastes like burnt electrical wire with a firm spongy texture.

Best to brine first followed by boiling for two days. Slice and eat with magic mushrooms.

:blink:

Smell and taste are in fact but a single composite sense, whose laboratory is the mouth and its chimney the nose. - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

chocolate-covered spiderman absolutly cracked me up :biggrin: I have been thinking about such things as

Dwarfs - covered with moss and deep fried

Elfs - ground and sauteed with pixie's

Mermaids - in a sea broth

Other Super Hero's - coated, rolled or logged

Sauteed, grilled,deep fried and so on.

I personally find this thread very funny :wacko::wacko:

Smell and taste are in fact but a single composite sense, whose laboratory is the mouth and its chimney the nose. - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

:cool:

My own guess is that there is no gustatory difference between Eastern and Western dragons: all that armor from the various would-be St. Georges would have been neatly (?) excreted long since.

Much smoke flavor, though...slaw to go with it, I think, and sweet tea?

I admit to puzzlement. What wine goes with dragon plus fixin's? Or shall I think in terms of mead, or straight on to beer? Which beer, at that?

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Wait a minute! Am I losing my mind :wacko: (that's just a rhetorical question) or didn't somebody just post here about wyverns?

Anyway, I was going to say they wouldn't be so good for those of us who like drumsticks. :huh:

SB (but it's a great Scrabble word!) :hmmm:

I swear, all these references to anthropomorphic beings are sick.

Wouldn't want to plunge my fork into the flesh of Cerberus, either.

He was somebody's puppy, after all.

Mermaids and mermen? What, you gonna pan-fry the lower quarters and braise bodies from the waist up?

The horror. The horror...

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Mermaids?!? If I could run down to the market and pick one out of the tank, she's not going into the stockpot if you know what I mean. :wink:

This thread is completely insane. :laugh:

Now, if Barney counts as a mythical animal, I have a very dull cleaver with his name on it....

i recently had the tasting menu at never-never land.

the highlight was tinkerbells served

a l'orlotan.

-m

edited to add:

tasted like the san diego chicken,

with the gamieness of free range

fog-horn leghorn

Edited by akebono (log)

Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Winne the Pooh Que

One silly, not too old bear

BBQ rub

Honey glaze for the outside, the inside is taken care of

What's the rest....think, think, think

Oh Bother! Just throw him in the smoker with some applewood and let him smoke for 18 hours.

Yum te tum tum, Yum te tum tum time for some thing smokey sweet!

- Christopher Robin

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Hundred Acre Wood is sad;

Tigger, Eeyore, feeling bad.

All is just as they had feared;

Winnie Pooh has disappeared.

Little boy sits at the table tonight;

Napkin tucked in, eyes shining bright.

Time for something smoky sweet;

Christopher Robin is eating his meat.

I think I'd pass on the "stuffing" though.

SB :sad: