• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lady M's Gateau au Chocolat

cookman

I friend of mine, who lives in NYC, and generally is not a big fan of chocolate desserts swooned over having recently tasted the gateau au chocolat from Lady M's Cake Boutique. She said the textures of the cake were different than anything she had ever previously tried.

Their web site (http://www.ladymconfections.com/gateauchocola.html) has a photo and description of the cake, which is a sponge cake, mousse, walnut and ganache confection.

Anyone out there ever tried this cake and have an opinion on it? Anything unique there?

I friend of mine, who lives in NYC, and generally is not a big fan of chocolate desserts swooned over having recently tasted the gateau au chocolat from Lady M's Cake Boutique. She said the textures of the cake were different than anything she had ever previously tried.

Their web site (http://www.ladymconfections.com/gateauchocola.html) has a photo and description of the cake, which is a sponge cake, mousse, walnut and ganache confection.

Anyone out there ever tried this cake and have an opinion on it? Anything unique there?

Cookman, I've never tried their gateau au chocolat, because I'm forever distracted by the mille crepes cake. However, in the name of research and helping out a fellow eGulleteer...I promise to try it this weekend. :wink:

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Cookman, I've never tried their gateau au chocolat, because I'm forever distracted by the mille crepes cake. However, in the name of research and helping out a fellow eGulleteer...I promise to try it this weekend. :wink:

Megan, thanks for sacrificing yourself and doing the research.

In case you had not previously seen it, the NY Times had an article on the mille crepes cake a few months ago. I made the cake according to their published recipe, and it came out beautifully. In case you missed it, here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/15/magazine...=rssnyt&emc=rss

I look forward to hearing your opinion on the gateau au chocolat.

In case you had not previously seen it, the NY Times had an article on the mille crepes cake a few months ago. I made the cake according to their published recipe, and it came out beautifully. In case you missed it, here's the link:

Interesting read. The writer should have done her homework, though. The inspiration for the Lady M mille crepes obviously comes via Japan, where the exact same dessert is widely available. (The owner of Lady M is Japanese.)

I look forward to a review of the gateau au chocolat.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Interesting read. The writer should have done his homework, though. The inspiration for the Lady M mille crepes obviously comes via Japan, where the exact same dessert is widely available. (The owner of Lady M is Japanese.)

I look forward to a review of the gateau au chocolat.

Ummmm, her homework...the author is Amanda Hesser. :wink: This was the article that first moved me to check out Lady M last year - thanks for finding it!

The Japanese CEO himself likens Lady M to La Maison du Chocolat...I know Lady M is backed by Japanese investors and headed by a Japanese CEO, and cakes like the mille crepes may be hugely popular in Japan, but that doesn't mean it's not inspired, at least originally, by a French pastry. But, then, I don't know. I'd have to do some research and trace the cake's origins, perhaps further back than Larousse! :wink:

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Megan, thanks for sacrificing yourself and doing the research.

Any time, baby! :laugh:

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Ummmm, her homework...the author is Amanda Hesser. :wink:  This was the article that first moved me to check out Lady M last year - thanks for finding it!

The Japanese CEO himself likens Lady M to La Maison du Chocolat...I know Lady M is backed by Japanese investors and headed by a Japanese CEO, and cakes like the mille crepes may be hugely popular in Japan, but that doesn't mean it's not inspired, at least originally, by a French pastry.  But, then, I don't know.  I'd have to do some research and trace the cake's origins, perhaps further back than Larousse! :wink:

Correction duly noted! Sorry if I offended anyone.

The CEO sounded a bit coy to me in his response, when in fact a milles crepes is probably familiar to anyone who has grown up or spent time in Japan (just like baumkuchen). It would not surprise me at all if it were first done in France and took off in Japan. Either way, it is French inspired.

I'd be interested in knowing if you find anything in your research. BTW, do you happen to know if the pastry chefs at Lady M are Japanese?

The Japanese CEO himself likens Lady M to La Maison du Chocolat...I know Lady M is backed by Japanese investors and headed by a Japanese CEO, and cakes like the mille crepes may be hugely popular in Japan, but that doesn't mean it's not inspired, at least originally, by a French pastry.  But, then, I don't know.  I'd have to do some research and trace the cake's origins, perhaps further back than Larousse! :wink:

I have heard of "crepe gateaux", i.e. from France. I've also seen crepe tortes in traditional Austrian and Hungarian cookbooks-usually with a ground nut or chocolate-nut fillilng). Kurt Gutenbrunner is currently serving some Palatschinken (Austrian word for crepes) Tortes at his newish restaurant, Blaue Gans, in NYC.

That being said, who knows where the founder of Lady M got his/her *immediate* inspiration. It seems like it could have been from Japan if they are relatively popular there. There was an article on Lady M and the milles crepe cake in Saveur. I can't recall if the inspiration and/or origin of the version of their cake was discussed in it...

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Ummmm, her homework...the author is Amanda Hesser. :wink:  This was the article that first moved me to check out Lady M last year - thanks for finding it!

Correction duly noted! Sorry if I offended anyone.

The CEO sounded a bit coy to me in his response, when in fact a milles crepes is probably familiar to anyone who has grown up or spent time in Japan (just like baumkuchen). It would not surprise me at all if it were first done in France and took off in Japan. Either way, it is French inspired.

I'd be interested in knowing if you find anything in your research. BTW, do you happen to know if the pastry chefs at Lady M are Japanese?

No offense! :wink:

Hmmmm...not sure about the pastry chefs. As Hesser noted in the article, they are incredibly publicity-coy. I went there for my blog and was not allowed to take any photographs, either of the "tasting salon" or of my slice of cake and cup of tea. The pastry chefs work in LIC, and so I haven't had an opportunity to check, but the woman making the lunch items in the back was European (had a slight, soft accent - maybe French). I sense an excuse for pulling out my cat-burglar outfit. :laugh:

Queenie Takes Manhattan

I have heard of "crepe gateaux", i.e. from France.  I've also seen crepe tortes in traditional Austrian and Hungarian cookbooks-usually with a ground nut or chocolate-nut fillilng).  Kurt Gutenbrunner is currently serving some Palatschinken (Austrian word for crepes) Tortes at his newish restaurant, Blaue Gans, in NYC.

That being said, who knows where the founder of Lady M got his/her *immediate* inspiration.  It seems like it could have been from Japan if they are relatively popular there.

I think that the simplest explanation is most likely, if you know what I mean. Interesting to read about the Austrian/Hungarian crepe tortes, I wasn't aware of them.

Megan, it's too bad that they are so publicity shy, I was going to request a photo blog!

I have heard of "crepe gateaux", i.e. from France.  I've also seen crepe tortes in traditional Austrian and Hungarian cookbooks-usually with a ground nut or chocolate-nut fillilng).  Kurt Gutenbrunner is currently serving some Palatschinken (Austrian word for crepes) Tortes at his newish restaurant, Blaue Gans, in NYC.

That being said, who knows where the founder of Lady M got his/her *immediate* inspiration.  It seems like it could have been from Japan if they are relatively popular there.

I think that the simplest explanation is most likely, if you know what I mean. Interesting to read about the Austrian/Hungarian crepe tortes, I wasn't aware of them.

Megan, it's too bad that they are so publicity shy, I was going to request a photo blog!

I know, it's totally annoying! Here're some shots of the outside, taken during my blog...

gallery_28660_2588_7120.jpg

gallery_28660_2588_21849.jpg

That's the mille crepes, right down in front...you can just make it out as a smudge of gold...

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Here is a picture of the Mille Crêpes.

One description I found of the cake is: "This divine gallery's signature wedding cake, the Mille Crêpes Cake, is a light-as-air pile of crêpes sandwiched between layers of cream custard with a hint of cherry liqueur, a caramalized top...."

As far as inspiration for the name..... sounds exactly like a takeoff of Milles Feuilles to me...... crêpes instead of puff pastry.

on an episode of Sugar Rush on the Food Network, Warren met with Bill Yosses (busy guy) and at that time he was the pastry chef of Lady M

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

As far as inspiration for the name..... sounds exactly like a takeoff of Milles Feuilles to me...... crêpes instead of puff pastry.

Yup, exactly right...that was my thought as well. Mmmmm, mille feuilles!

Queenie Takes Manhattan

on an episode of Sugar Rush on the Food Network, Warren met with Bill Yosses (busy guy) and at that time he was the pastry chef of Lady M

Hmmm, that's interesting. Do you know when this aired? I just did a quick Google search, and Bill Yosses' bio from the Chocolate Show website doesn't mention Lady M. Nor does a Google search of "Bill Yosses" and "Lady M" turn up any matches.

The plot thickens...or maybe my search skills are just busted. :wink:

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Hmmm, that's interesting. Do you know when this aired? I just did a quick Google search, and Bill Yosses' bio from the Chocolate Show website doesn't mention Lady M. Nor does a Google search of "Bill Yosses" and "Lady M" turn up any matches.

I saw that show too. Here's the link to the episode, which was a repeat. Sugar Rush

It showed Bill caramelizing the top of the cake with a very hot flat iron -- way cool from my perspective. I don't get to play with cool tools much...

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

I saw that show too. Here's the link to the episode, which was a repeat. Sugar Rush

It showed Bill caramelizing the top of the cake with a very hot flat iron -- way cool from my perspective. I don't get to play with cool tools much...

Thanks!!! :biggrin:

Queenie Takes Manhattan

So...just home from my trip to Lady M, which was delightful, as always. I went with my friend Lisa, and she had a slice of the mille crepes while I tried the gateau au chocolat. The slice they served me was significantly smaller than her slice of mille crepes - and thank god for that, because it was really rich.

The sponge was great - very moist, but very chocolatey, too. The mousse had a really nice texture - very smooth, and it felt almost light in the mouth - very silky, but still very, very rich. The walnuts studded throughout were a great relief from the smoothness of the cake. The ganache was very dark and almost smoky, and was an incredibly thin layer - maybe as thick as two sheets of notebook paper. All in all, very good. Definitely one of the better mousse cakes I've had.

Queenie Takes Manhattan

The sponge was great - very moist, but very chocolatey, too.  The mousse had a really nice texture - very smooth, and it felt almost light in the mouth - very silky, but still very, very rich.  The walnuts studded throughout were a great relief from the smoothness of the cake.  The ganache was very dark and almost smoky, and was an incredibly thin layer - maybe as thick as two sheets of notebook paper.  All in all, very good.  Definitely one of the better mousse cakes I've had.

Megan, thanks for checking it out. Sounds great. I will definitely need to try a slice next time I'm in NYC. Now we just need some pastry chef spy who has worked there to tell us how to recreate it at home..........

The sponge was great - very moist, but very chocolatey, too.  The mousse had a really nice texture - very smooth, and it felt almost light in the mouth - very silky, but still very, very rich.  The walnuts studded throughout were a great relief from the smoothness of the cake.  The ganache was very dark and almost smoky, and was an incredibly thin layer - maybe as thick as two sheets of notebook paper.  All in all, very good.  Definitely one of the better mousse cakes I've had.

Megan, thanks for taking one for the team. A real sacrifice, I'm sure.:wink:

It's hard to tell from the photo, but was the ganache/glaze on the top only or sides as well?

-Kenji