• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Decline and Fall of the Food Network

spqr

Jason,

In the gay community, "queer" is used as an adjective, a noun and in some cases, as an epithet (and has both ameliorative and pejorative connotations). I suppose I could have used the term "gay" but in my opinion, the two terms are similar enough in meaning that it doesn't really much matter which ones are used. :raz:

Seriously though, I don't mean my responses to be perceived as a flame. I was merely objecting to the use of "gay" as a descriptor in what was clearly a pejorative/inappropriate context. Used in the context that chopjwu12 posted in his response, it goes far and beyond being "un-pc". Other people may not have found it offensive...I did, and therefore am requesting nicely if he (or anyone else for that matter) could please refrain from using such terminology in the future, at least in public. There are other, more appropriate uses for language on these boards, as you and I both well know.

SA

I too find FTV sliding downhill. I do like Alton for his explanations.

Nobody's mentioned "America's Test Kitchen" on PBS TV. It's a product of Cooks Illustrated (Boston Common Press), and hosted by Christopher Kimball, founder and editor of Cooks Illustrated magazine.

They are unbeholden' to advertisers so can call 'em as they see 'em. Refreshing, even if I don't always agree with their assessments.

I've let all my other cooking magazine subscriptions lapse in favor of Cooks Illustrated. I just wish they could see their way to publish monthly, but without advertising revenue they can only publish bi-monthly.

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

Other people may not have found it offensive...I did, and therefore am requesting nicely if he (or anyone else for that matter) could please refrain from using such terminology in the future, at least in public.  

i didn't necessarily find it offensive, although i did find it queer. queer "strange", not queer "gay"...err, gay "homosexual" not gay "happy"...errr, happy "jovial" not happy "nuts"...errr, nuts "crazy" not nuts "gonads"...errr,

seriously, i tend to try at least a little to let people be people. i can't imagine being offended over the ignorant use of a derogatory term on an internet forum. i mean, i can't tell you how many times i've been called a "straight-middle-class-white-guy-from-the-suburbs". yeah, sure, it bothered me for a while. but then i figured, hey, you can't change people. ya know? :wacko:

seriously, i tend to try at least to let people be people. i can't imagine being offended over the ignorant use of a derogatory term on an internet forum.

I get your point, but I think you're confusing my request.

I'm asking people to be sensitive to the fact that there maybe people who might get offended at certain terms that on the surface appear innocuous.

I'm not asking David to be something he's not.

I'm sure if the proverbial shoe were on my foot, that there would be a hue and cry...and not an emphasis to let "people be people".

Un-pc comments are inappropriate if posted in public (what y'all do in your PMs is none of my business, nor anyone else's). My two cents...

SA

I get your point, but I think you're confusing my request.

to make sure that you (and everyone else who cares) gets my point, let me rephrase...

those who use words and language that are clearly insensitive and inappropriate in a public forum most likely do not realize that they are being insensitive and inappropriate and will therefore scratch their heads when they read a "request" such as yours. speaking of PMs, i always say that if you have something personal to say to someone, PM is generally the way to go. i've had some of my best arguments over PMs. come to think of it, someone has to show plotters how to use PM. :shock:

so, don't be surprised if "bobby gay" comes up again, either from that poster, or another. and really, i would hope that you won't be offended. hell, my *father* has called me worse. :smile:

I'm just thankful that a Food Network exists. Just remember that in order to generate revenue for bigger and better shows - the market will have to increase - that will mean more than pandering to us "Food-philes"

Yes, the bigger piece of the pie. The “I’ll have a white zinfandel please” – “ I’d like that Filet well-done please” Their Nielsen points may even fuel some better and more in-depth shows. How about some new shows we’d like to see

“Connoisseurs VS Poseurs”

“Iron Sommelier”

“Everybody Loves Molto”

“Survivor: Texarkana with the Zagats

“America’s Most Wanted: The Dishwasher Files”

I'd like to watch anything that involves beating Sissy Biggers senseless with large smoked hams.

Thank god she doesnt host Ready, Set, Cook anymore or I might have to climb to the roof of a building and start shooting people with an automatic weapon.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'd like to watch anything that involves beating Sissy Biggers senseless with large smoked hams.

weapon.

i think she's very cute and bubbly.

You would think that, wouldn't you?

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I should have thought a swift chop with a rasher of bacon would finish Sissy off.  Definitely a featherweight.  :biggrin:

(If this is taken seriously as advoacting violence to women, I give up.)

"i am not above punching women"

you can always point back to that quote on my bio. i thought it was very clever actually.

weapon.

i think she's very cute and bubbly.

Is Sissy Biggers still on TV?

I just assumed she joined Bill Boggs in FoodTV Valhalla

She has that cute, energetic perkiness I always found unpleasant in marketing interns who refused to learn anything about marketing or sales. I hate perky...

(and that's an easy cultural reference)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Who is Sissy Biggers? Someone remind me again please?

I have a vague idea of who this person is. Also I dunno about no British host on RSC.

I used to watch TFN....but now I gag when I see His Majesty of Lard.

"Kick it up a notch!"

Indeed.

SA

Shes' been on the Iron Chef USA specials lately. Having her and Shatner at the same time is too much. Now they just need to add Ainsley Harriot and you'll have to put me in therapy.

She has that cute, energetic perkiness I always found unpleasant in marketing interns who refused to learn anything about marketing or sales. I hate perky...

(and that's an easy cultural reference)

What about that Rachael Ray? I'll see your perky and raise you a generous side of giggles.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I think we all like alton. He is very funny. And makes food fun. I thoroughly enjoy his shows. Along with Iron Chef, Hot of the Grill, East meets West and Planet Food. (Im still waiting for the asian countries to be done). But I do think that they could make food network alot better. Oh and one of you mentioned two fat ladies. One of them died unfortunately.

Serenity Hutchinson

jason:  seek therapy.

liza:  spunk is good.

Did Liza offer Lou Grant as her answer? All I saw was the edit note

Tommy - you may have one-upped me. Was the Lou Grant quote for perky or spunky?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo