• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Join the Dark Side :)

DERF

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a long time, but I remember liking Rum & Coke with Appleton quite a bit. Nowadays though, I generally do the Cruzan Single Barrel Estate with coke, since that's a fine rum but I just don't find it flavorful enough to stand on it's own. I'm always looking for a bit more. The Ron Matusalem (12- or 15-year, I forget) was very good, too, but that may have been because my other choice that night was Ron Zacapa 23 which I chose to drink straight, so I tried the Ron M with the coke. I will have to try the Pyrat, just to try it, but the Cruzan works so well that I'm not sure if I'll change. (For a while at least.)

Absolute Best I've Ever Had - Mount Gay and Coke, as mixed by the teenagers from a local school club, at the Heiniken/Mt. Gay Workboat Races on Grand Anse Beach in Grenada in January! For $5EC (about $2US), you get a healthy drink and a Mount Gay bandana.

Close Second - Jack Iron 'n Coke in Grenada/Carriacou. Warning! Potent stuff!

For Occasional - "Spice" 'n Coke - locally made spiced rums. I now bring back spices and make my own brew-up.

I've just finished work on a Cuban themed bar and grill. The selection of rums is pretty damn good for somewhere in SE Asia, Borneo to be exact. We have Havana Club Anejo Blanco all the way to the 7 or 8 year old, Ron de Santiago, some Cachaca's and soon, Matusalem.

For the opening night, 2 drinks were the most popular, Mojito's and Cuba Libres... all made with Havana 3. With rum and coke, you must have lime, just a squeeze of a quarter wedge with the whole lot chucked in.... in a tall glass, lots of ice... I know 'cos I watched a Cuban make it... :wink:

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

• 5 months later...

Sorry for the Long Delay, I was captured and kidnaped by Pyrats and they forced me to try many more Rums from around the World. So I have been a little busy Sailing around the World taste testing different Rums with and without Coke.

The Ship ran out of Coke, and they were getting real low on Rum :blink: and I saw a chance to make my getaway. So I took it, and now I have a chance to say Hello to alll the DarkSide Members.

My Mum's husband drinks Vodka and Diet Coke!!!!  He should just be banned.  What is shocking is that is a pretty popular drink at home and not just among 18 year old girls.

Vodka n Coke :wacko:

One of my favorite drinks 20 years ago was made with 2 shots Kahlua, 2 shots Vodka, 2 ounces of coke in a tall Glass full of ice. When everything is good and chilled add just a slash of cream to lighten it up a little.

mmmmmmm, Very tasty indeed.

DERF,

I enjoy Cruzan Blackstrap & Coke, with a bit of lime juice. 

Please include me in The Dark Side. 

Thanks very much!

Eric

Welcome to the DarkSide Eric, here's your Membership # 012-08-21-06

Also try some Gosling's Black Seal, 80 and 151, they both are out of this world, bursting with flavor when mixed with Coke.

It's been a long time, but I remember liking Rum & Coke with Appleton quite a bit. Nowadays though, I generally do the Cruzan Single Barrel Estate with coke, since that's a fine rum but I just don't find it flavorful enough to stand on it's own. I'm always looking for a bit more. The Ron Matusalem (12- or 15-year, I forget) was very good, too, but that may have been because my other choice that night was Ron Zacapa 23 which I chose to drink straight, so I tried the Ron M with the coke. I will have to try the Pyrat, just to try it, but the Cruzan works so well that I'm not sure if I'll change. (For a while at least.)

Scott, I love your taste in Rum, Great to meet another True Rum n Coke Drinker. Here's your Membership # 013-09-01-06

Absolute Best I've Ever Had - Mount Gay and Coke, as mixed by the teenagers from a local school club, at the Heiniken/Mt. Gay Workboat Races on Grand Anse Beach in Grenada in January!  For $5EC (about $2US), you get a healthy drink and a Mount Gay bandana.

Close Second - Jack Iron 'n Coke in Grenada/Carriacou.  Warning! Potent stuff!

For Occasional - "Spice" 'n Coke - locally made spiced rums.  I now bring back spices and make my own brew-up.

Great places to Party and enjoy an Ice Cold Run n Coke. :cool:

Welcome to the DarkSide Tuck, here's your # 014-09-02-06

-------------------------------------Freedom is Not Free-----------------------------------------

----------------------- Blues Bruthas & Sistahs Stealth Society (BBSSS) -----------------------

Love my S2K, Just Point & GO, But watch out for Da BEARS and keep her rubber side down!

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a noise ?????

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Founder and Member #001-03-06-06

I've just finished work on a Cuban themed bar and grill. The selection of rums is pretty damn good for somewhere in SE Asia, Borneo to be exact. We have Havana Club Anejo Blanco all the way to the 7 or 8 year old, Ron de Santiago, some Cachaca's and soon, Matusalem.

For the opening night, 2 drinks were the most popular, Mojito's and Cuba Libres... all made with Havana 3. With rum and coke, you must have lime, just a squeeze of a quarter wedge with the whole lot chucked in.... in a tall glass, lots of ice... I know 'cos I watched a Cuban make it... :wink:

Sound like my kind of place, wish I could visit, keep up the Great Work.

Wecome to the DarkSide PLC, here's your Membership # B15-09-02-06

-------------------------------------Freedom is Not Free-----------------------------------------

----------------------- Blues Bruthas & Sistahs Stealth Society (BBSSS) -----------------------

Love my S2K, Just Point & GO, But watch out for Da BEARS and keep her rubber side down!

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a noise ?????

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Founder and Member #001-03-06-06

hello DERF...

Okay, you've got another secret rum and coke lover lurking in the corners here. I stopped ordering them a long time ago because I got tired of my friends making fun of me for ordering a kiddy drink, but lately I've decided to hell with it! I'll order a rum and coke when and if I want! I'm just really devil-may-care like that, you see! :smile:

I was in Belfast a couple of weeks ago and I ordered one - and the guy brought me a a malibu and coke. I explained that I didn't want malibu - and he told me that was the only rum they had. I pointed out that there was a huge bottle of Bacardi on the shelf at eye level. He looked surprized that it was rum...has Bacardi marketing become so effective that people no longer realize it's a brand of rum but a liquor unto itself like Q-tips or Rollarblades. (or then again maybe I just hit the one bartender in Belfast who didn't have a clue.) That's my rum and coke story for the day.

Edited to fix rum/rome typo...sometimes my fingers work faster than my brain (most of the time, really!)

Edited by Forest (log)

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

Scott, I love your taste in Rum, Great to meet another True Rum n Coke Drinker. Here's your Membership # 013-09-01-06

Thanks Derf. Glad to be a member.

I have to amend my choice of rum, though, since I got tired of the blandness of the Cruzan Single. It's a damned fine rum, but a little weak in taste.

I recently bought a bottle of Angostura 1824 and sipping it straight was not to my liking. I'm not a fan of the woodiness and oaks present in this rum. I was fairly bummed, since it was a $55 bottle of rum, so I tried it with ginger ale and lime. It still didn't work for me. I wasn't about to dump it down the drain though, so I made a Rum & Coke with a squeeze of lime.

Pure heaven. What a delightful mix.

Now I've got to try this stuff in a Mai Tai.

The best rum I've ever had was Zacapa. At $45 a fifth, it's not inexpensive, but it blows away rums at higher price points.

Since being hooked years ago, I've collected about 14 bottles of rum in my liquor cabinet (that's just the current count) and at least 3 books on rum's history.

Other great rums for rum and cokes include Sailor Jerry's and Stroh. :)

Do I get a number?

Stumbled on this thread and now I'm gonna have to stop on the way home and get some limes. I usually go Captain but I think I'm gonna have to try the Pyrats XO sitting on the counter. Haven't tried it in Coke yet. It's great in banana bread. :wub: I have some vanilla beans in vodka marinating but now I'm thinking since I really am a rum girl at heart, I should be playing with vanilla and/or spices and rum. Vodka makes me sleepy and takes the edge off a hard day but rum makes me happy! :laugh: Number, please!

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I have a New / Old cocktail I put into rotation at Eve a few weeks back. Rhum and “Cola” I have been messing around with making my own cola for about 5 months and I think I have it now. One of the big steps forward was purchasing a carbonations machine rather that using a soda siphon. Anyway I classed up the cocktail a bit I serve it up with Tahitian Vanilla infused white rum, house made cola, and a Supreme of Meyer Lemon. It is a ode to the first drop of liquor I ever put in my body at age 21, Captain Morgan and Coke with a Lemon Wedge. Still to this day 15 years later my drink of choice.

Todd Thrasher

The Guy who says YES CHEF and Sometimes makes a cocktail or two.

Restaurant Eve

110 S. Pitt St.

Alexandria, VA 22314

(703) 706-0450

Eamonn's A Dublin Chipper

PX (Upstairs)

728 King Street

Alexandria, VA 22314

(703) 299-8384

I have a New / Old cocktail I put into rotation at Eve a few weeks back. Rhum and “Cola” I have been messing around with making my own cola for about 5 months and I think I have it now. One of the big steps forward was purchasing a carbonations machine rather that using a soda siphon. Anyway I classed up the cocktail a bit I serve it up with Tahitian Vanilla infused white rum, house made cola, and a Supreme of Meyer Lemon. It is a ode to the first drop of liquor I ever put in my body at age 21, Captain Morgan and Coke with a Lemon Wedge. Still to this day 15 years later my drink of choice.

Oh, man!!! I don't regret moving from Alexandria to Portland, Oregon often, but I'm going to have to count this as one of those times. Tahitian Vanilla infused rum? House made cola? Meyer lemon?Yum!

Is it still on the menu? I'll send some of my friends who still live in the area over to try it and make me jealous!

my motto: taste, savor, share

circulation manager, imbibe magazine

celebrate the world in a glass

Oh, man!!! I don't regret moving from Alexandria to Portland, Oregon often, but I'm going to have to count this as one of those times. Tahitian Vanilla infused rum? House made cola? Meyer lemon?Yum!

Is it still on the menu? I'll send some of my friends who still live in the area over to try it and make me jealous!

Running it as a special right now on the weekends.

Todd Thrasher

The Guy who says YES CHEF and Sometimes makes a cocktail or two.

Restaurant Eve

110 S. Pitt St.

Alexandria, VA 22314

(703) 706-0450

Eamonn's A Dublin Chipper

PX (Upstairs)

728 King Street

Alexandria, VA 22314

(703) 299-8384