• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Join the Dark Side :)

DERF

Rum n Cola Drinkers Unite, and Join the Dark Side. :biggrin:

Rum and Cola Drinkers, what is your Favorite Rum and Cola, how did you find it, and how do you like it mixed ?

My first Rum experience was Bacardi n Coke many years ago. It was OK, but I preferered Vodka and OJ better at that time in my life. Many years later a friend mixed a Captain n Coke with a Lime for me, and I have been hooked ever since.

The Captain seemed over priced so I went on a Quest a few years back to find a better lower priced rum. Twenty plus different bottles later, I found a bottle of Cruzan 2yr old sitting on a shelf all by its self. The bottle looked lonely, so I bought her and gave her a home at my Home Bar.

MVC-006S.jpg

The next day when I opened that bottle of Cruzan, and smelled it, I knew I was onto something new, and it would change my Life Forever. Of course I could not stop my Quest, even though I found a Awesome replacement for the Captain. My Taste Buds and Nose wanted even more, so I tried the 5yr old Cruzan.

I should have never of tasted that 5yr old Cruzan. It change my Quest from finding a Lower priced Rum, to finding the Best Rum to mix with Cola for under $100 a bottle. Cruzan Single Barrel was my next find and became my Favorite, untill I ran across a bottle of Pyrat XO Reserve last November.

Still on my Quest, but for now My Favorite is Pyrat Xo Resereve and Coke.

Found the Pyrat XO collecting dust on the top shelf at the Party store. I bought it to add to my Bottle collection, I never though it would have so much Flavor. :smile:

My favorite way to mix a Rum n Cola is to add about 6 to 8 ounces of rum to a Full 32 ounce glass filled with Ice, and Top off with Coke untill it taste just right.

About a week ago I went on a Hunt for some Sugar Cane Cola and found some Boylens. I found this to be a better mix with the Lighter Flavored Rhums made with Sugar Cane Juice. The Lighter tasting Boylans let the Rhum Flavor stand out a little more.

Don't be Shy, Join The Dark Side: :cool: Fred

DarkSide Member #001-03-06-06

-------------------------------------Freedom is Not Free-----------------------------------------

----------------------- Blues Bruthas & Sistahs Stealth Society (BBSSS) -----------------------

Love my S2K, Just Point & GO, But watch out for Da BEARS and keep her rubber side down!

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a noise ?????

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Founder and Member #001-03-06-06

A Canadian friend recently introduced me to Canadian Club and Coke. It was good. Can I be a member on that basis?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Well, I segregate my caffeine to the AM and my alcohol to the PM, so there is little chance of them meeting in a Rum and Coke.

However, I was drinking Dark and Stormies made with Jamaican dark rum, fresh squeezed lemon, and ginger beer last saturday night.

Didn't seem like a waste of rum or ginger beer to me.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

A Canadian friend recently introduced me to Canadian Club and Coke. It was good. Can I be a member on that basis?

You Sure Can :biggrin:

Here's your # 002-03-06-06

-------------------------------------Freedom is Not Free-----------------------------------------

----------------------- Blues Bruthas & Sistahs Stealth Society (BBSSS) -----------------------

Love my S2K, Just Point & GO, But watch out for Da BEARS and keep her rubber side down!

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a noise ?????

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Founder and Member #001-03-06-06

Well, I segregate my caffeine to the AM and my alcohol to the PM, so there is little chance of them meeting in a Rum and Coke. 

However, I was drinking Dark and Stormies made with Jamaican dark rum, fresh squeezed lemon, and ginger beer last saturday night.

Didn't seem like a waste of rum or ginger beer to me.

Not a Waste at all :biggrin:

Ginger Beer, Cola, sounds about the same to me.

Here's your # 003-03-06-06

Alright then, if you're gonna be easy like that ...  :laugh:

I have been known to enjoy a nice Jack and Coke on occasion  -- the "Jack" being Jack Daniels. Somehow I can't bring myself to mix a "real" bourbon with cola. :raz:

Jack n Coke, Rum n Coke, Close enough, its got Coke

ere's your # 004-03-07-06

Too get back on track I also Hate Bacardi Gold, and I don't like the 8yr old so much either.  :wink:

Though we disagree on the Bacardi 8yr old, the raging cat was the smile of the week!!

Thanks,

Kevin

Hello Kevin, I liked the Raging Cat also, The Cat may have offended some cat lovers and was removed. :(

Bought another Bottle of Bacardi 8yr old to give it a second shot. The 8yr old is a lot better than Bacardi Gold. However the 8 yr old still has the same Barcardi signature aftertaste as the Gold.

I think for the money, I would rather have a Bottle of Bacardi Anejo which is the only Bacardi Rum I have found so far that I seem to like.

I'll keep trying to find the Best Rum, and I'm sure I'll come across some more to add to the Worst collection. :wink:

It seems the girl with the large pillows on the race car was also deemed offensive :unsure:.

I know what you mean in re Bacardi, and haven't bought any in years (the 8yo was a gift). I have a bottle of Pusser's Navy which will likely last years and years and I find it almost undrinkable. I bought a bottle of Pusser's Painkiller mix, but that didn't help.

My membership in the Dark Side is born of Cruzan Navy Blackstrap & Cola

Thanks,

Kevin #002-03-06-07 (I think)

Sorry Kevin #002-03-06-07 Invalid Membership Number, Here's a Good One for Ya -------------------> DarkSider #005-03-07-06

As for the F1 Girl with the Pillows, She seemed like a nice Girl, I think she got Tired of being Tread On, and decided to Tread water somewhere else.

Pusser's, hmmmmmm, I have a un-finished Bottle sitting on my bar also, at least it's a Good Looking Bottle. :wink:

Tonight I had Mount Gay and Mexican Coca Cola, 4 ounces Mount Gay, 12 ounces La Coca Cola de azucar! I hit a Mexican place on my way home from Bayshore Hospital, and then I hit my cupboard for the rum! Who needs pain meds when there's this lovely concoction? Hopeful news after the surgery and a good drink! Yay!

Oh, I should add: I put some milk in the glass, too. Sorry, I like it that way!

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Tonight I had Mount Gay and Mexican Coca Cola, 4 ounces Mount Gay, 12 ounces La Coca Cola de azucar! I hit a Mexican place on my way home from Bayshore Hospital, and then I hit my cupboard for the rum! Who needs pain meds when there's this lovely concoction? Hopeful news after the surgery and a good drink! Yay!

Oh, I should add: I put some milk in the glass, too. Sorry, I like it that way!

Mount Gay and Mexican Coke with a dash of Milk, hmmmmm, sounds interesting Rebecca. Do you use just a dash or a couple of ounces of milk for your Cloudy Rum n Coke ?

Found some Boylan Cola last week and tried it with some different Rum/Rhums and found the Sugar Cane Cola let the Rum/Rhum Flavors stand out a lot more. I'm very happy I saw your post about the Sugar Cane Colas and decided to hunt some down for myself. Now my whole family is keeping an eye open for some Yellow Cap Coke two litters so we can stock up with some better tasting Kosher Coke. Loved the Boylan's, but at a Buck a bottle that's a little two steep for my Family of Eight Cola Drinkers who seem to find all the Hidden Cola Stash.

Here's your Membership Number Rebecca --> # 006-03-09-06 Wear it with Pride. :biggrin:

Edited by DERF (log)

Pour your favorite good rum in a glass and pour the coke down the drain! A friend of mine likes Captain Morgan mixed with Dr. Pepper...how hidious does that sound?

A Rebbel, :biggrin: No Membership for You, :biggrin:

at least you did use some Coke.. :wink:

Okay, I will admit to mixing rum with coke, but that was way back when I was a high school teenager and I was trying to get my date drunk...for reasons that now elude me!!! :raz:

Do I get to be a club member now? What's the secret handshake? :unsure:

Hey DERF, here's a better quote than "If a tree falls in the forest, and there's nobody around to hear it, does it make a noise?"

...."If a man is out in a forest talking, and there's not a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?" :shock:

Edited by LunaSea (log)

OK, that last line got ya in da club :biggrin:

However we will have to put you on Probation for the first 90 days, Just to make sure you are not a Secret Agent. :cool:

Sorry, we can't show you the Secret Hand Shake yet, for Obvious Reasons. :wink:

Here's your Membership # SA7-03-15-06

BTW, A Tree almost fell on us while we were Playing in the Smokie Mountians with our sports car.

My wife and I go to the Tail of the Dragon (hwy129, 318 curves in 11 miles)) twice a year with our S2000 Club. About 170+ other S2000 Members from around the World do this event and we all have a Blast.

My Wife and I normaly stay an extra day to hit some more curves while we try to get lost in the Smokies. We were driving down from the top of one the Mountain peaks in the middle of no mans land and a Tree Fell right above us. I had to down shift and Hit the Gas Pedal to avoid getting Crushed by this Humongous Tree. :wacko:

If a tree falls in the forest, and there's nobody around to hear it, does it still make a noise ??? We Think It Does, and It's Extremely Loud !!!

Hey Derf, I'll have to say I envy that bar of yours.

I would have thought a few more closet Rum and Coke drinkers would have chimed in here, but I'll happily join the pack as I have had much experience with this libation.

I think I started out drinking Goslings Black Seal & Coke, that lasted me a few years. Then somehow I too, got my hands on Cruzan 2yr, and have enjoyed that ever since. The Cruzan 2yr is an unbeatable value for the money and mixes quite well with Coke.

I have tried many other combos, but I continue to turn back to cruzan and coke because I tend to save the top shelf rums for drinking neat. Here are my favorite rums and coke combos so far, listed in order of preference:

1. Flor de Cana 7yr - a special occasion R&C, also great neat.

2. Ron Matusalem Classico

3. Cruzan 2yr

4. Goslings Black Seal

5. Barcardi Anejo

The Pyrat XO and Coke, I agree, is quite good, but it is fairly pricey. Since it seems you like this sweeter, smoother flavor profile I will give you a couple of top shelf rums for you to try

1. Ron Pampero Anniversario

2. Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva

If you want to try out another value Rum, try the Conch Republic Dark rum. This retails for around $10-11 hear in Washington and mixes quite well with Coke. Another value priced rum to try is Old Monk 7yr ($13), one of the top selling rums in India.

Cheers!

Steve

Hello Steve and Welcome to the Dark Side.

Thanks, We Entertain a lot and decided to rebuild our three and a half Car Garage into a Rec Room/Bar/Garage after a fire destroyed everything inside last Spring. Luckly Fire Proof Drywall save the Out Building and we only had to Rebuild the inside.

My Sons and I did most the rebuilding this past Summer to help keep the cost down. The Garage is now Nicer than our Home and We are very pleased with the end results.

My car can now relax thru the Cold Michigan winters in a nice little Warm Spot while the rest of us Have Fun.

MVC-002S.jpg

She Likes watching TV also, mostly Car shows, Car Races, Hockey Games and a DVD Movie once in a while. She Loves Herbbie the Love Bug. :biggrin:

I'll have to try the Rums you have listed. :cool:

I bought a bottle of Ron Matusalem Classico a few months ago and really like this Rum to start the night off with. It's very smooth and I love the Vanilla aftertaste it leaves in your mouth. A Bottle of Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva sitting at the Party Store has been tempting me for the last few months to buy her, She may have just Won.

The Cruzan 2y old Dark is one of the Best Values I can find in Michigan, and I really Love the 5yr old Diamond Estate and Single Barrel for the Money. The Price of Pyrat Xo Reserva has come down for some reason, so I have been stocking up with as many as I can find for around $25 a Bottle.

Thanks Again Steve, and here is your Dark Side Membership Number 08-03-17-06

Cheers !

Fred

PS. Don't show LunaSea our Secret HandShake Yet (foryoureyesonly,hemightbeaspy4theneatside). <----Top Secret Code

:biggrin: Pretty Neat Code Breaking Discovery,

Now all the Code Breakers of the World will try this method for Breaking Top Secert Codes.

I have a feeling the Price of Pyrat Cask 23 is on its way up. :wink:

Prichard's spiced rum, cold Coca-Cola (no ice), squeeze of lime, bitters (Peychaud's or Unterberg). Prichard's rum and Coke is what got me drinking rum again last summer, after being indifferent to it (or rather, to the rum I could afford) for a few years.

Prichard's Rum n Coke with bitters and a lime,

Sounds Good !!

Welcome to the Dark Side Bill.

Here's your Number 009-03-25-06

• 2 weeks later...

I am so pleased that this has come up.

For the record:

Havana Club - all good. The darker the rum, the less Coke and lime I use.

Mount Gay

Bacardi 8 Year Old

The mix for a decent aged rum like Havana Club 8:

medium sized tumbler, half filled with crushed ice, rum to cover ice, juice of half a lime, splash of Coke, say 1cm over rum.

Will receive and display membership number gladly and with pride.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

• 1 month later...
I am so pleased that this has come up.

Will receive and display membership number gladly and with pride.

Here's your # 010-04-08-06 Display it Proudly :biggrin:

• 1 month later...

I love me a rum n' coke... i sure do...

I have enjoyed it with Appleton's VX, Bacardi 8, Sailor Jerry, Barbancourt 3 Star...

I am bulding my collection slowly but surely

• 1 month later...
I love me a rum n' coke... i sure do...

I have enjoyed it with Appleton's VX, Bacardi 8, Sailor Jerry, Barbancourt 3 Star...

I am bulding my collection slowly but surely

Wow, has it been that long since I was here, many bottles of Rum have been consumed in the last 2 months. :smile:

Welcome to the Dark Side jediNord, here is your Membership # 011-06-05-06, Sorry for the delay.

I love the Barbancourt 3 Star Rum also and the Price is very fair in Michigan.

My Collection consist mostly of Empty Bottles for some reason. :wink:

Lots of reading to catch up on now, Everyone have a Great August and always Enjoy Life with a little Rum n Coke once in a while. :cool: