• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lebanese Lemony lentil and chard soup

gallery_5404_94_458450.jpg

Click Here for Recipe

I never heard of "Adas Bil Hamud" (lentils in lemon juice) until I was about 10 or maybe 12 years old. My aunt who lived in a Beirut suburb returned a pot she had borrowd from my mom and since it is considreed rude to return an empty pot, she filled it with "adas bil hamud". It turns out that I've been eating this soup all my life, but the version I was familiar with had dumplings made from bulgur and a little flour. My mom's and grandma's version was also called "Kibbet El Rahib" (The Monk's Kibbeh). I love both versions but it seemed that no one outside of the Northern region of Akkar has ever heard of "Kibbet El Rahib".

In any case both versions are fantastic and with the dumplings the soup makes a very good meal. Sometimes potatoes are added to the version with no dumplings but at it's heart the soup is always the same, lentils, chard, lemon juice, garlic and cilantro. My family in Lebanon loves their soup cold, from the fridge. I enjoy it a lot more hot or at room temperature.

Has anyone ever tried either version? How do you like yours? If you have not, then give this soup a try and report back. I am sure you will love it.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

"Adas Bil Hamud" is a very nice wintery soup. However the version in your pic shows split or whole lentils. The more common version is the pureed lentils with cubed potatoes and carrots. This dish is not restricted to Lebanon but to the area ranging from Syria to Greece.

As for "Kibbet El Rahib". The dish origin is a fasting dish for Lent and is available with different recipes.

Where did you get yours from? Is it your version or inherited from family and did you introduce any changes to it?

"Adas Bil Hamud" is a very nice wintery soup. However the version in your pic shows split or whole lentils. The more common version is the pureed lentils with cubed potatoes and carrots. This dish is not restricted to Lebanon but to the area ranging from Syria to Greece.

As for "Kibbet El Rahib". The dish origin is a fasting dish for Lent and is available with different recipes.

Where did you get yours from? Is it your version or inherited from family and did you introduce any changes to it?

This is the version I am used to eating in Lebanon where I was born and raised, the version my family makes and the version I was served in friends' homes in Beirut. It is also the version I ate at a couple of restaurants here in the US. I am sure it is not restricted to Lebanon but I've never been to Syria or Greece. Speaking of Syria, Paula Wolfert in her fantastic "Mediterannean Grains and Greens" has a recipe for it using whole lentils and she attributes it to Syria.

I have never seen it made with anything other than whole brown whole lentils. where is your version from? Where have you had it the way you describe? That would really help put things in perspective, since just generalizing and saying that a "more common version" is the one that uses pureed lentils is not very useful. BTW, I did mention that cubed potatoes are sometimes used. We need to keep in mind that diffreent countries and regions will have different versions.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

My question was in relation to "Kibbet El Rahib" and not "Adas Bil Hamud".

As for "Adas Bil Hamud" you positioned the dish as Lebanese while I simply pointed out that it is found in a wide area ranging from Syria where the dish is claimed to originate up to Greece who prepare it with the addition of Tomatoes.

I have enjoyed "Adas Bil Hamud" in Syria - Lebanon - Greece -Turkey and other countries albeit in private houses as such dish is more of a home cooking offering and not a restaurant one. Apart the degree of garlic - lemon and the change in the balance of ingredients. The common factor was the pureing of the lentils which quite nicely blends with the other ingredients. Try it.

None used the Kibbe you mention and hence my inquiry on this particular recipe version.

Nicolai, I am curious. What is your background? Are you from Syria? Are you a food historian? What makes you an expert on cuisine from Syria, Lebanon, Greece, etc? Have you written a book?

Elie, the soup looks delicious. I have jar of lentils on my counter that I need to use up. Can I make this with green lentils?

Will I be kicked of this part of the forum :wink: if i don't put cilantro in soup? I am not crazy about the taste.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Elie, it looks delicious, I must try it soon. While I realize brown lentils are authentic, what would you think, flavour wise, if one were to use green or red lentils? I ask because I have all the ingredients on hand, except brown lentils and it sounds like a yummy dish for dinner this evening.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Elie, it looks delicious, I must try it soon.  While I realize brown lentils are authentic, what would you think, flavour wise, if one were to use green or red lentils?  I ask because I have all the ingredients on hand, except brown lentils and it sounds like a yummy dish for dinner this evening.

Not sure about red lentils, but green should work fine. Please let us know how it turns out or if the recipe needs any editing.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Will I be kicked of this part of the forum  if i don't put cilantro in soup?

yeap and before you can say Adas :biggrin: Seriously, cilantro is one of the basic flavors in this soup. Use half the amount and cook it all with the garlic instead of keeping some raw. If you really cannot stand cilantro, then by all means, try it without it and let us know how it turned out. That is why we have discussion forums, to discuss.

Maybe someone can try Nicolai's pureed version also and see how it compares?

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Elie, it looks delicious, I must try it soon.  While I realize brown lentils are authentic, what would you think, flavour wise, if one were to use green or red lentils?  I ask because I have all the ingredients on hand, except brown lentils and it sounds like a yummy dish for dinner this evening.

Not sure about red lentils, but green should work fine. Please let us know how it turns out or if the recipe needs any editing.

Can't wait to try it.....and I love cilantro. I'm sure the recipe will be fine, you've never failed me in the past with the recipes of yours I've tried and loved.

Will I be kicked of this part of the forum  if i don't put cilantro in soup?

yeap and before you can say Adas :biggrin: Seriously, cilantro is one of the basic flavors in this soup. Use half the amount and cook it all with the garlic instead of keeping some raw. If you really cannot stand cilantro, then by all means, try it without it and let us know how it turned out. That is why we have discussion forums, to discuss.

Maybe someone can try Nicolai's pureed version also and see how it compares?

Ok. I will try it with half as much cilantro.

I made the Kibbet El Rahib for dinner tonight and it is delicious.

Thanks Elie for the recipe. I made it with 1/2 cup of cilantro, but I think I will try it with 1 cup next time. The cilantro is not as strong cooked as it is raw.

Here are the kubbeh before I cooked them:

gallery_8006_298_254675.jpg

And here is the soup with the kubbeh:

gallery_8006_298_87950.jpg

It is really nice and lemony.

It looks delicious, Michelle. I haven't had a chance to make it yet due to ongoing home renovations.....don't ask!!

I definitely plan on making this soup, can I use the little black beluga lentils?

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Michelle-

Thanks for sharing, the little kibbeh "marbles" look perfect. I am glad you enjoyed the cilantro, it really takes on a different flavor once cooked. Does the recip work exactly as written? Any changes you had to make?

Joiei- I've never cooked it with Beluga lentils, my guess is that they should work.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Michelle-

Thanks for sharing, the little kibbeh "marbles" look perfect. I am glad you enjoyed the cilantro, it really takes on a different flavor once cooked. Does the recip work exactly as written? Any changes you had to make?

Joiei- I've never cooked it with Beluga lentils, my guess is that they should work.

The recipe was perfect. I didn't have to change a thing and it was even better the second day.

I definitely plan on making this soup, can I use the little black beluga lentils?

Are beluga lentils the same thing as urad dal?

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

My mother-in-law makes this, but she uses spinach. Most of her recipes have been adapted over the years b/c her family moved to Virginia from Shefamer in 1949. Lynchburg, VA was not the place to find "exotic" ingredients. She married a South Carolina boy who undoubtedly would not eat chard. To this day, her table is quite a mix of Arabic and southern foods. It is not unusual to have ham biscuits and kousa mashi at the same meal!

Tata's version is without dumplings and VERY lemony. It is what I crave when I feel queasy

Are beluga lentils the same thing as urad dal?

Not the same. Apparently beluga lentils are a hybrid of Puy lentils.

I cooked it with the beluga lentils and made the dumplings but they fell apart, I think my bulgar was not fine enough. But the soup was a hit with the family I cook for. I used juice from 4 lemons and they said it was borderline too much for them. So next time, I will use the juice of 2 lemons.

Every recipe I have used of Elie's has been a hit, so when are you writing that book so we will have access to all your fabulous knowledge.

Thanks Foodman, your recipes rock.

Larry

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

gallery_5404_94_458450.jpg

Click Here for Recipe

I never heard of "Adas Bil Hamud" (lentils in lemon juice) until I was about 10 or maybe 12 years old. My aunt who lived in a Beirut suburb returned a pot she had borrowd from my mom and since it is considreed rude to return an empty pot, she filled it with "adas bil hamud". It turns out that I've been eating this soup all my life, but the version I was familiar with had dumplings made from bulgur and a little flour. My mom's and grandma's version was also called "Kibbet El Rahib" (The Monk's Kibbeh). I love both versions but it seemed that no one outside of the Northern region of Akkar has ever heard of "Kibbet El Rahib".

In any case both versions are fantastic and with the dumplings the soup makes a very good meal. Sometimes potatoes are added to the version with no dumplings but at it's heart the soup is always the same, lentils, chard, lemon juice, garlic and cilantro. My family in Lebanon loves their soup cold, from the fridge. I enjoy it a lot more hot or at room temperature.

Has anyone ever tried either version? How do you like yours? If you have not, then give this soup a try and report back. I am sure you will love it.

I'm excited to try this recipe, I adore cilantro, love garlic and lemon!

Just purchased all the ingredients (well, the ones that I didn't have on hand). The lentils were labelled as green although look brown and green. They are half pea shaped, not like the little tiny red or yellow ones, so do you think they will be okay? Also, the bulgur looks quite coarse, not fine, wasn't described as either on the label (both items bulk bin bought), say that really fast. :laugh: Anyhow, should I try grinding the bulgur in the mini chopper to make it finer? Oh, and the chard has red stalks. :smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

• 2 weeks later...

sure try running the bulgur in the processor and see if it helps. IF that fails, try it as is anyways and see how it works out. The rest of your ingredients should work fine.

Sorry, I did not notice this post earlier!

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 1 month later...

Well this recipe is a winner, I read it a few weeks ago here and have made it three times since then, as chard is cheap and in abundance now, and I have a bonanza of cilantro in my garden (won't for very much longer at this rate though!). I upped the amount of lentils slightly for my own taste, but it's still definitely soup with plenty of broth, not porridge. :) My neighbors are making it too...

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
OK stupid question. Elie, the cilantro, just leaves or leaves & stems?  If I make the dumplings how much extra water should I use?

Thanks, Jim

sorry for the late reply...for cilantro, use mostly leaves. It really is not big deal if you have some small stems in there. I usually cut off the bunch where the thick stems start branching in to smaller ones and get on with it. I never bother picking leaves from small stem.

If you use the dumplings, you might need an extra cup of water. Use your judgement though. IF it needs more to make it soupy, just add it.

Hope this helps.

Edited by FoodMan (log)

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog