• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weekend lunches and brunches

ulterior epicure

I'll be in NYC in a few weeks for a long weekend. While I've had no problem making reservations for dinner/lunches on the weekdays, I must admit, this non-NYC native is having a hard time coming up with some great places to try on the weekend mid-day meals... I'm trying to maximize my eating opportunities (ie higher-end establishments).

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Prune in the East Village is always a good bet for brunch, however it gets really busy at the weekends. They are renowned for their bloody Mary's - excellent if you are hungover!

I don't have the exact address but I'm sure if you google it something will come up.

Good Luck

For higher end eating, Fleur de Sel and Eleven Madison Park offer their 3-course prix-fixe lunch on weekends. I suggest you check opentable.com (where you can make reservations online) to check out which other high-end restaurants are open for weekend mid-day meals.

UE, you might want to look at some of the more recent entries in some of the threads dedicated to restaurants mentioned in this thread. For example, here's the Fleur de Sel thread. You'll note that I was pretty underwhelmed by my experience there, but gaf found his meal there a great bargain. If I were choosing between Fleur de Sel and 11 Madison Park, I'd choose the latter without hesitation. I haven't been to Prune, Five Points, or Cookshop. I also haven't been to any of these places for brunch, so keep that in mind.

Michael aka "Pan"

I had brunch once at Five Points because I love that place and had heard theirs was terrific. I got the sense that it <could> be great, but the day we were there they were overwhelmed and the kitchen seemed to be having problems, so my eggs were overcooked and other stuff was cool. The service was nice, and I wouldn't hesitate to go back, perhaps at a less prime hour.

A thought: Is Blue Ribbon Bakery open for brunch?

Susan

... so far, I have reservations at eleven madison park and per se... any other suggestions? input? cautions? green lights?

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

... so far, I have reservations at eleven madison park and per se... any other suggestions?  input?  cautions?  green lights?

u.e.

Just an update: here's how my weekend in NYC is shaping up:

Arriving on a Friday at 6pm. Need to check into hotel on east-side of Midtown. Help me fill in the blanks please. :smile:

1. Friday dinner? My companions and I will be tired and probably not out for something uber involved - but good. Also, we'd like to stay near the hotel.

2. Saturday lunch: Per SE, so Saturday dinner will probably be skipped or snacked.

3. Sunday dinner:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

... so far, I have reservations at eleven madison park and per se... any other suggestions?  input?  cautions?  green lights?

u.e.

Just an update: here's how my weekend in NYC is shaping up:

Arriving on a Friday at 6pm. Need to check into hotel on east-side of Midtown. Help me fill in the blanks please. :smile:

1. Friday dinner? My companions and I will be tired and probably not out for something uber involved - but good. Also, we'd like to stay near the hotel.

2. Saturday lunch: Per SE, so Saturday dinner will probably be skipped or snacked.

3. Sunday dinner:

u.e.

Since you are staying in Midtown East.. I would tell you to go to this restaurant the Night you get in.. The dress is casual and its really neat.. It will get you into the New York vibe immediately.. Here is a review I wrote..

saka gura

Sakagura ($$$)

Japanese

211 E 43rd St, New York 10017

Btwn 2nd & 3rd Ave

I'd suggest a late night walk in at either Blue Ribbo or Balthazar.. eat as much or as little as you like at either place.. Blue Ribbon's menu is made up of more snacks, but Balthazar offers the raw bar option, a great bar, and great people watching.. both open and serving until at least 3 am..

I've not been to CookShop for brunch but have enjoyed 5 Points'.. Prune has a wonderful brunch, as does Barney Greengrass, on the UES.. if you're not planning your trip entirely around food, I'd recmmend hitting a deli enar your hotel, such as Sarge's, for eggs, lox, etc. before getting going on your day..

Saragura is a great option for Friday night..

Saragura is a great option for Friday night..

... and I'm assuming that's Sakagura? :unsure:

Lost in translation is now playing: at the UWS... translation sought...

Thanks much.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account