• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Chocolate Path

I'm shocked--shocked!--that no one has written about this new store on Lackawanna Plaza yet, or maybe I just missed it. Dark chocolate fanatic and owner Susan Jeffries Fine (I think that's it) has a small but extremely tasty inventory of dark chocolates from around the country and world tucked into one side of what is or was an interior design space. She keeps a drawer full of samples of everything she's selling. I picked up a bar of Weiss 68 percent with candied orange peel--this was a brand I'd never seen or heard of anywhere outside the chocolate show in New York City; one bar of straight 73 percent chocolate and one with bits of ginger from an American company called NewTree; and some outrageous chocolate covered toffee, also with ginger (I'm on a ginger tear this winter) from BT McElrath. She told me she's concentrating on stuff you don't find easily elsewhere, but she carries a handful of pretty Marie Belle bars, too. Check out the website.

If you live in the Montclair and, like some chocolate addicts I know, have previously had to go to NYC for a serious chocolate stash, this is a welcome addition to the neighborhood.

Susan

Edited by SusanGiff (log)

What are the prices like?

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

What are the prices like?

I'd say the bars (about 3.5 ounces) are in the $4-5 range, which seems typical for this level of quality chocolates. But that teensy bag of toffees was a shocking $10. I was in such a fugue state while I was there that I wasn't paying much attention, just adding stuff to the counter. Still, they were delicious, and very nice for company.

Susan

Thanks Susan I'll have to check it out! I am a choco-holic.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

I'm a huge fan of dark chocolate. I had no idea this store even existed. I don't ever really go to Lackawana Plaza as until now there was really no store to draw my attention.

I'll be sure to check it out!

edit:

This weekend, my mother-in-law gave me a bar of 73% dark chocolate from Trader Joes. I thought that such a high percentage would be far too bitter, but I was wrong. I'm not sure of the price, but it was very tasty and not overbitter. If TJ wasn't so out of the way for me, I'd be sure to buy another.

Edited by hitmanoo (log)

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

I checked their website & don't see that they have anything involving hazelnuts. To me that is simply unthinkable for a chocolate shop.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

On their web site under "treats"

"BAHIANES ALMONDS & HAZELNUTS

SKU: 3595183 100236

Weiss remains one of the very few chocolate makers dedicated to controlling all aspects of production and mastering all techniques relating to the elaboration of its chocolates. Weiss only buys beans of noble origin in the best lands in the world: Venezuela, Equador, Trinidad. Selecting the best quality beans, expert blenders use their knowledge and expereince to achieve the best possible combination according to the desired mix, sometimes adding Sambirano beans from Madagascar or Forasteros fromt eh Ivory Coast when necessary in order to intensify certain Characteristics"

I'm a huge fan of dark chocolate. I had no idea this store even existed. I don't ever really go to Lackawana Plaza as until now there was really no store to draw my attention.

I didn't either, until I got a tip! I think she's trying to do a slow build, although apparently Baristanet has written her up.

To clarify, it's on Greenwood, across from Lackawanna station. I'm not sure exactly what the street is called at that point, Greenwood or Lackawanna Plaza. But it's within a block of Bloomfield Ave.

Susan

I didn't either, until I got a tip! I think she's trying to do a slow build, although apparently Baristanet has written her up.

To clarify, it's on Greenwood, across from Lackawanna station. I'm not sure exactly what the street is called at that point, Greenwood or Lackawanna Plaza.  But it's within a block of Bloomfield Ave.

Susan

To clarify, it's not in Lackawana Plaza--the mini-mall with Pathmark and Dunkin Donuts, but rather it is on Glenridge Ave or Pine St?

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

To clarify, it's on Greenwood, across from Lackawanna station. I'm not sure exactly what the street is called at that point, Greenwood or Lackawanna Plaza.  But it's within a block of Bloomfield Ave.

Susan

To clarify, it's not in Lackawana Plaza--the mini-mall with Pathmark and Dunkin Donuts, but rather it is on Glenridge Ave or Pine St?

Okay, I <think> I have this right. If you're heading east on Bloomfield Ave., you turn left before you hit that mini-mall. According to mapquest, the left is onto Israel Crane Way, which quickly becomes Greenwood. It's on that block, on the west side of the street. If you hit Glen Ridge Ave., you've missed it. But no, you're right, not in the mini-mall. If you go, suggest she put a map on her website! Have fun, sample well.

Susan

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! This is a tough shop to find! I drove past it twice and didn't find it, then I parked right out front and ate my lunch and still didn't see it. I got out of my car and went door to door on foot until I finally found it.

We discussed her need to put a better sign on her store, and she assured me that she'll be putting up a brand new awning.

I bought 4 chocolate bars for my friend for his birthday. (Hope he doesn't read this before I give it to him tomorrow) I'll have to wait to get his review.

She gave me a couple of samples. I tried a chocolate wafer with spicy pumpkin seeds. While I thought the chocolate was tasty enough, the pumpkin seeds did not really add much to the flavor. After the chocolate was done, all I was left with was a spicy aftertaste that I did not enjoy. Susan and I were of the same opinion on this, and I don't think she'll be stocking this particular item. However, she also gave me a roasted cocoa bean that I thought was fantastic! A nice texture with a tasty flavor... I wish I'd bought a bag of them, but that could get dangerous!

I'm excited to try the chocolate bar that was blended with ginger. Sounds like it will be an interesting combo!

Her website is not reflective of everything in stock, so be sure to stop in and check it out for yourselves!

Has anyone compared to Chocolate Path to Chocolatier Anais in Verona? That's my local gold standard for upscale ($25 to $35 per pound) chocolates.

Chocolatier Anais

(973) 571-4110

526 Bloomfield Ave

Verona, NJ 07044

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I'm excited to try the chocolate bar that was blended with ginger.  Sounds like it will be an interesting combo!

It rocks. My favorite of all the stuff I bought there.

As for the Anais comparison--Chocolate Path isn't house-made chocolate, strictly dark chocolate products from other sources. Not much that's filled or ganache, ie, which is what Anais sounds like based on the pricing you're mentioning. So now I'm going to have to check Verona out, too, I see!

I bought 4 chocolate bars for my friend for his birthday.  (Hope he doesn't read this before I give it to him tomorrow)  I'll have to wait to get his review.

Isn't a dentist who gives out candy as gifts really just looking for business? :biggrin:

I move that the above comment be stricken from the record!!! :wacko: