• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tomo's Cuisine

Adam P.

Tomo's Cuisine

113 Route 23 (Pompton Ave)

Little Falls, NJ 07424

(973) 837-1117

Had a great meal at Tomo's Cuisine last night. Here are some of the highlights of my meal:

Oysters with Ponzu

gallery_21025_2626_442868.jpg

Live (or rather, recently deceased) Scallop

gallery_21025_2626_484775.jpg

Seafood w/Cucumber Salad

gallery_21025_2626_661008.jpg

Beef Muscle w/Bean Cake Soup

gallery_21025_2626_915650.jpg

Spicy Fish Roe

gallery_21025_2626_293971.jpg

Chicken Katsu (sauce on side)

gallery_21025_2626_833086.jpg

Great pics, Adam! I am SO glad that someone who can truly appreciate all of this type of food went to Tomo's and liked it!

For those of you scratching your head like I was about the other posts on Tomo's, they are in the What's your favorite sushi thread.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 2 weeks later...

Had dinner here and this is now my favorite sushi restaurant. The restaurant is small. Started off with miso soup. I don't like miso soup and I loved the miso soup here. I also don't like makerel or sardines and both were fabulous and mild tasting. The sardines were served Spanish style and didn't have the fishy taste and smell you usually get with sardines. We also has seaweed salad--great and cooked seaweed--not for me. Ordered some sushi which we devoured and also had tuna served three different ways over rice. Tomo's big roll with shrimp, salmon and avocado was also a winner. And I also don't tea drink unless I'm sick but I drank two cups of the green/brown rice tea. I cannot wait to return here.

I sent pictures to Beth and hopefully she'll get them up.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Great pics, Lowell! The tuna three ways is what I had when I was there. :wub:

Talk to us about those dumplings, please! Esp the ones in the second picture...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

The dumplings -- yummy. Is that enough information?

The first ones were gyoza and very nice. They were pan cooked so they were nice and crispy on the bottom. The second were my fav and they were shumei. The had to be home made. The wrappers were incredibly thin and the filling was delicious. There was a piece of shrimp on the top of each one. They were really delicate.

I was going to guess shumai, but they looked very large and VERY homemade (not that there's ANYTHING wrong with that!) so I wasn't sure...those are now on my must-order list next time I go! And gyoza too, just b/c I love them. :wink:

Went tonight after reading such raves.. I am still a novice when it comes to sushi but they gave me great suggestions. We started with Miso soup and it was nice and smooth. Nice chuncks of tofu. The we shared. tuna, cumcumber, and california rolls.. large and good. Then after suggestions had the fluke. OH MY what a great fish. Was very good, very mild for the newbies out there. Then had some tuna.. what great big pieces. Really good quailty and good price. I also ordered the eel. ALso nothing bad about that. I saw an ordered of conch pass by.. thats on my list for next time.

As I said I am a newbie but looking to expand and try new things. The specials menu was extensive , will have to bring the experts with me next time. So many things looked good as they were serving others.

Nice people and loved how they would give you suggestions and such.

For the newbies and the experts I say it is worth a trip...

Dinner was only 35$. Will be back.. As in next week

Tracey

After reading about Tomo Cuisine for 3 weeks, my wife and i went tonight and I'm sad to say that it was disappointing. The service was REALLY slow (we sat down at 8:15 and got soup at 9 and our other appetizers at 9:15. The uzuzukiri was delicious; very fresh fluke and delicious dipping sauce. The broiled squid appetizer was incredibly salty. The sunomono was very good. But the sashimi (chutoro, Spanish Mackeral and Hamachi) was a little fishy and seemed to lack that really fresh sparkle. The big roll was just ok. Its sad because based on the raves that I read here I was expecting magic. Sad to say I didn't get it. For now for local sushi, I'll stick to Zen which I think is much better.

Sorry to insult the Tomo fanatics here on the board but it just didn't do it for us.

Jeff

Edited by alembic54 (log)

• 1 year later...

We had a delicious Mother's Day dinner at Tomo last night. My folks live right up in North Caldwell and they were there last week, and we were pretty surprised the waitress remembered us down to dishes that we'd ordered previously, especially since I hadn't been there with my parents yet.

We had a really nice spread. We started with vegetable tempura, which was good but not amazing, but that's still pretty darn good, and also the pork belly, both off the specials menu. The pork belly was AMAZING, it tasted like it'd been braising for hours and was melty delicious. We also had the steamed monkfish liver and practically died, it was that rich but light-bodied.

We had negitoro hand rolls, which were a really nice textural interplay. I don't know what kind of nori Tomo uses, but it's very resilient and gave a nice crunch. The rice, chopped tuna, and scallions were a really nice blend of fluffy, dense, and crunchy. We had live scallop sashimi which I was a bit afraid of, but it was so sweet and perfect that I had to restrain from ordering another.

We also had some "regular" sushi: yellowtail belly, sea clam, otoro, fluke edge, and my parents had uni, which I don't really like (I've tried it a billion times and can't get over the texture). Everything was wonderful, but I want to know where he got his otoro. I've never had better, and I've watched them cut the pieces of tuna off the fish at Mitsuwa. That otoro paled in comparison to what we had; it was marbled just like a good piece of Kobe beef and melted just the same way.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

• 1 year later...

I went here for lunch today for the first time. We had the sushi special and it was amazing..could not have been fresher. My friend said she may go back for dinner with her kids and the waitress said they may not like it as it is authentic Japanese. We laughed, asking if she is telling us not to come? She explained that many do not expect the authenticity of the cuisine. My friends kids would actually love it. Great pick!

• 6 months later...

Tomo's still knocking 'em dead. Fin does a wonderful job serving even when the restaurant is full(you have to be patient here).

Winners lately: Dancing mushroom, egg custard soup with shrimp and chicken, broiled mackerel or salmon cheeks, soft shell crab special roll, cold soba noodles with radish, fried lotus root, monkfish liver sushi style, etc.

Oh yeah, the scallop is always the freshest sweetest specimen you can get your hands on. Live one minute, in your gullet the next. I can eat 10 of them without a blink if I was a glutton.

I don't know why/how people leave their sake there for storage, I always finish mine. ;)

Edited by richl2214 (log)

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species