• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pairing with Hermitage Blanc?

douginvirginia

I 'found' 3 bottles of '90 Chave Hermitage Blanc in my cellar. Actually, I'd forgotten them.

I suspect they're close to prime, and would appreciate any pairing suggestions you might offer.

Thanks,  Doug

I like dishes that have coconut in them, some curries and sauced fish dishes.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

I served this wine at a recent Hermitage lunch. It's showing well, but could stand some additional cellaring time. The '85 which was also served alongside the '90 had mellowed more and was more enjoyable. The '90 retained some of the 'bitterness' on the finish which I find characteristic of young Hermitage blanc.

If well stored I wouldn't hesitate to hold the '90 for another 10 years. These wines will last a long time (we also had the '70 blanc along with the '90 and '85, and it was still going strong though starting to show a little oxidation).

We paired the three with a puree of kohlrabi soup with seared scallops and truffle oil.