• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Typhoon Shelter Style"

mjc

I just got back from my first visit to Hong Kong and the my favorite dish from the trip was "Typhoon Shelter Style" Crab. Seems to me that in the version below its just basically fried garlic, mixed with scallion, chilis, black beans, and fried crab. Does anyone know about this style? Have a recipe?

gallery_7926_2631_35791.jpg

thanks.

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

• 2 months later...
See this thread - it is virtually the same, just with the addition of black beans:

I was wondering about the difference between Typhoon Shelter style and the plain old Salt and Pepper style too. The other night I ordered the Typhoon Shelter style shrimp from my neighbor New Hong Kong Wok. Besides plenty of minced garlic, which was fried to crispy under quick and intense heat, they also put in finely-diced laap yuk (preserved pork belly) and whole fermented black beans, along with green onion chops and fresh chili slices. I think that's what makes it "Typhoon Shelter" style.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Interesting, the addition of laap yuk. I've never had it that way. The versions I've tasted have all been Sri Lankan crabs buried under a pile of garlic, chillies and spring onions. Sometimes it has black beans.

The fried garlic tastes wonderful in plain congee. Although I dont think it's possible to eat all of it - it makes me very thirsty.

The 'typhoon shelter' style supposedly came from floating sampan restaurants that used to be in Causeway Bay typhoon shelter. They're long gone (and the water is so polluted that it's hard to imagine eating there) but some restaurants in nearby Wanchai still do typhoon shelter style dishes. One of the best known is "Under the Bridge Chili Crab", which specializes in this dish. Details here: http://www.thestandard.com.hk/weekend_news...&d_str=20051203

I've also never had it with laap yuk; usually just chili, garlic and spring onion.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Methinks we need an Ah Leung pictorial recipe for Typhoon-style crab or shrimp, with the laap yuk! ;)

Please mail order a wok burner like the one infernooo has to my home address. I have sent you my address in e-mail. :wink:

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"