• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Teppanyaki

itch22

I have only eaten this once, it isn't very popular in Yokohama.... :blink:

Basically it is just a variety of vegetables and marinated lamb cooked on a domed griddle type pan.

I tried searching for recipes and didn't have much luck, I did find this that has nice step by step pictures of placing the vegetables nad lamb on the griddle:

http://www.2989.net/genghiskhan/yakikata.html

but it has no recipe. :angry:

Most recipes I came across called for pre-marinated lamb (that you would probably pick up in the grocery store) or a bottled marinade sauce......

I only found one recipe that gave a marinade ingredients list and it said to place all of the following into a blender and puree and then let sit for a day before adding the meat:

soy sauce

mirin

sake

sugar

carrots

garlic

ginger

celery

tomato puree

oyster sauce

apple

chile powder

I have absolutely no idea how authentic this recipe is, as I don't really remember the flavor of the Genghis Kahn BBQ I had, I wasn't impressed by it and thus ahve never searched it out again. of course it could very well have been the place that I ate it at.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Thanks! I haven't had much luck either in finding a recipe. It is only mentioned in one of my Japanese cook books but offers no hint of its ingredients.

I did find a Japanese BBQ recipe for lamb with the following ingredients but the web site seems sketchy, especially the use of sherry and not sake! :unsure:

2 lb Lean boneless lamb

1/4 c Soy sauce

1 tb Honey

2 tb Vinegar

2 tb Sherry

2 ea Garlic cloves

1/4 ts Ground ginger

1 1/2 c Bouillon

-- Jason

I found two more recipes (on Japanese sites)

the first one calls for the following to be pureed in a blender then heated in a pan and cooled before using:

ginger

garlic

onion

apple

sugar

ketchup

worchestire sauce

soy

red wine

the next one calls for the non-liquid ingredients to be grated and everything heated in a pot and then cooled before using:

apple

onion

garlic

red wine

soy

dashi

sugar

chile pepper

sesame seeds

So in conclusion, I guess you can add whatever you want! :biggrin:

I found the following in some college student's weblog.

"The beer garden offers Viking Ghengis Khan and beer (Sapporo, of course). Ghengis Kahn is a platter of raw lamb slices and vegetables which you cook to your liking on a cast iron hot plate called a nabe. There a clear sauce to dip the meat into. It's quite delicious and the more beer you swill the better the food is."

-- Jason

hhhmmmm...

There was no sauce for dipping with the kind I had, and I saw no mention of a sauce in any of the recipes I looked up.

Maybe he was drinking too much beer and was dipping it into something else..... :laugh:

• 2 years later...

Having recently visited my favourite teppanyaki place, I felt it needed it's very own topic. My favourite teppanyaki place in Kobe is a place called Lapin (website is only half-working right now). It's very reasonably-priced, especially at lunchtime. They were celebrating their 7th anniversary and this was their lunch course--priced at only Y2000!

Soup--I can't remember what kind it was--some kind of green--kikuna? It tasted ever so slightly of dill to me. It was great! The soup is always served in the same kind of cup, but the soup itself changes every so often. It always makes use of a seasonal vegetable.

gallery_11355_878_65774.jpg

Salad--complete with a peeled cherry tomato! The salad and dressing don't usually change, but the garnish does. This one had a fried lotus root garnish, but I've had other vegetable garnishes in the past.

gallery_11355_878_28818.jpg

Grilled tofu with aioli and fried garlic, and grilled konnyaku shaped like a rabbit. Always a favourite with me, and cute, too!

gallery_11355_878_18374.jpg

gallery_11355_878_34663.jpg

Up to this point, everything that has been served is on each level of their lunch courses (they have three or four of varying prices). But now we diverge.

Three types of seafood--salmon served with some kind of peppercorn sauce, cod shirako, lightly brushed with with yuzu/soy dressing, on a tiny little riced potato cake, and a scallop served with pesto. Grilled shirako is ever so slightly like foie gras in texture--much nicer than shirako served as nabe (ick!).

gallery_11355_878_64748.jpg

This was an a la carte dish I ordered--oysters grilled with butter and soy, served with aioli (I think). It's one of my all-time favourite dishes and I order it whenever they have it available.

gallery_11355_878_25587.jpg

That's all for now. Next I'll post the meat dishes and dessert!

Edited by prasantrin (log)

• 3 weeks later...

If you're wondering where the meat went, here it is!

I can't remember what cut of beef he used for this. Inside the roll are sprouts and fried garlic. One can never have too much fried garlic!

gallery_11355_878_71268.jpg

Here we have some vegetables (nagaimo, carrot, broccoli), sirloin on the right and fillet on the left (I think), and of course, more fried garlic. Also included are bean sprouts, but I forgot to wait until they were on my plate. The sirloin was great--it tasted as beef should taste, but the fillet was wonderfully tender.

gallery_11355_878_109457.jpg

If you get rice with your meal (you have a choice of bread, steamed rice, or garlic fried rice) you also get some miso soup and housemade pickles. I don't like tsukemono, but these are quite good--very lightly salted and vinegered.

gallery_11355_878_60114.jpg

A not-very-good-picture of dessert--champagne jelly. It's a great way to end the meal--very light and refreshing.

gallery_11355_878_110528.jpg

And the chef--there are two who work but this one is the owner/head chef. You know because he wears a red hat, which is also where he flips in scrapings from the grill. He's a sweetheart of a guy, and now that I'm a sort of regular, I get little gifts (half pours of wine, some little natural oysters because he knows I love them so much, etc.). I love the holster in which he keeps his knives! (Sorry about the picture, I can't figure out how to rotate pics in image gullet.)

gallery_11355_878_91007.jpg

I think to many, especially North Americans, this may seem to be a very small meal, but in all, it's quite filling. With their regular courses, you can choose how much meat you want (80g or 100g)--price varies accordingly, and you can also order a la carte if it's still not enough. The oysters a la carte were Y680.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Thank you for sharing your experience and photos. Great meal.

One thing bothers me, however.

One can never have too much fried garlic!
Here we have some vegetables (nagaimo, carrot, broccoli), sirloin on the right and fillet on the left (I think), and of course, more fried garlic.

Is it only you or do many Canadian women like garlic?

I ask this question because I'm not much of a garlic lover.

I was just about to post that she's a woman after my own heart! I also think it's pretty hard to max out on garlic.

Personally, I can never get enough garlic. Adore the stuff and will usually double or triple whatever a recipe calls for, if cooking for just myself. Freshly roasted garlic with a dash of salt on fresh crustry bread accompanied with a glass of wine is a great dinner for me...

Is it only you or do many Canadian women like garlic?

I ask this question because I'm not much of a garlic lover.

I can't say that all Canadian women like garlic, but I think many probably do, especially young-ish Canadian women. Love of garlic depends largely on ethnicity and food experiences, I think. My father was Thai, my mother Filipino, so I grew up eating foods with a lot of garlic. Fried garlic is a particular favourite of mine, especially in certain noodle soups. I do have friends whose parents don't care for garlic so much (they're of ethnicities which don't use a lot of garlic in their food), but because my friends grew up with more diverse food offerings, they quite like it.

Interestingly, though I do love garlic, I've never had the garlic fried rice at Lapin (the teppanyaki place in the pictures above). If one orders steamed rice, it comes at roughly the same time as the meat dishes. But the fried rice isn't prepared till one has almost finished the meal. There's no way I'd be able to wait that long for rice (I need it with my meat!), and I'd be too full to eat it by then. One day, I really must try it, though. It looks and smells delicious!